Board logo

Fuel gauge
philhoward - 21/11/09 at 12:00 PM

I have just taken my Tiger for a spin and the fuel gauge has started acting funny. When stationary it reads as it should do, but when moving the needle floats up and down like a clapometer. It has only just started doing this. I have checked earths and these appear to bo OK.

Any ideas?

Phil

tomgregory2000 - 21/11/09 at 12:04 PM

that will be your fuel sloshing from side to side

mine does it
i can go from half a tank in a straight line to an almost full tank on a right hand bend and then to an almost empty tank on a left hand bend

[Edited on 21/11/09 by tomgregory2000]

philhoward - 21/11/09 at 12:44 PM

I do not think that this is the problem, as it has only just started doing it after 2 years of being OK

02GF74 - 21/11/09 at 01:08 PM

does it vary with engine revs - or with acceleration/braking and/or cornering.

can you be stationary and rev engine to see what effect it has.

also check battery voltage under same conditions.

what fuel guage is it? does the guage have a separate voltage regulator?

Daddylonglegs - 21/11/09 at 01:10 PM

Maybe you've got a baffle come loose? (As opposed to a screw )

Can you here anything rattling around in the tank if you rock the car from side to side?

philhoward - 21/11/09 at 01:42 PM

Al other gauges are OK. The needle does not move when stationary or when the engine is revved

It is a standard Tiger gauge. I am not sure if it has a seperate voltage regulator.

02GF74 - 21/11/09 at 02:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by philhoward
I am not sure if it has a seperate voltage regulator.

probs not - the older smiths guages had them.

so it does appear to be indicating the fuel - can you get the needle bounmcing if you rock the car?

usuallythe needel is damped to prevent that - electrically - so either someting has gone wrong in the guage or inside the tank.