Board logo

Is £40 for Car Trailer hire about the going rate ?
Tris - 20/1/10 at 09:57 AM

Hi all,

Ive just been quoted £40 per day to hire a car trailer from a place just north of Bedford (http://bri-ag.co.uk/). They also want £150 deposit !.

Is this about the going rate in peoples experience ? I only need it to collect my chassis and was wondering what other people have been paying.

Cheers
Tris

nib1980 - 20/1/10 at 10:01 AM

i hired one for £50 a day, and just taking a credit card for deposit.

thats was up the road in wellingborough

Thinking about it - 20/1/10 at 10:04 AM

I was quoted that too.

pewe - 20/1/10 at 10:06 AM

Doesn't sound too bad to me.
IIRC Indespension Reading charged me £65 last time .
BTW they may want to take a copy of your driving licence as well as another form of identity depending on how much business/aggro they've had with pikies!
Cheers, Pewe

will121 - 20/1/10 at 10:20 AM

£40 a day is a good price form what i previously quoted, (depending on how big it is) also £150 deposit generally taken as a credit card swipe just credited back on return, which again can be expected if a £1000+ trailer

thefreak - 20/1/10 at 10:21 AM

Yep, sounds about right. I paid £60 for the weekend, collect Fri eve, return mon morning.
They took a credit card swipe as a deposit and needed a copy of my driving licence.

Daddylonglegs - 20/1/10 at 10:48 AM

Yep, sounds fair to me. Had to hire a car trailer to take the Discovery for a VOSA check for new plates and cost me £55 for 24hrs (the trailer, not the check ).

02GF74 - 20/1/10 at 10:56 AM

people have trasnported chassis on top of a roof rack - that not an option?

delboy - 20/1/10 at 11:00 AM

Price seems fair. I put my chassis in the back of my van, it fitted okay. This was a lwb ducato. i think a lwb transit would be about the same. Can you not borrow a van? Or even hire one for less? I've even heard of people putting a chassis on their roof rack on their car.

Tris - 20/1/10 at 11:08 AM

quote:

people have trasnported chassis on top of a roof rack - that not an option?

Yes, but then i think i would rather hire something than risk my paint work getting damaged moving the thing on and off again ..

Thanks for all the replies tho - i would guess Van hire would be more expensive although i would admit that ive not looked into it (i also don't have access to one that i can borrow).

£40 seams a good deal when compared to what others have been paying for a trailer, so will probably go for that option.

Cheers
Tris

eznfrank - 20/1/10 at 11:30 AM

I think I paid £35 - 40 for a beavertail from a place in Leeds, but they also made me buy straps as they weren't allowed to hire those out for some H&S reason.........or so they said!!

Had to hire a van with towbar too so not a cheap day!!

ashg - 20/1/10 at 11:58 AM

just put mine on the roof rack. was easy with two people lifting. have done it with a couple of chassis now.

hughpinder - 20/1/10 at 03:30 PM

Since a chassis is hardly any weight you dont really need a car transporter! - Any trailer would do thats physically big enough. Try asking around at work, someone will have a trailer theyll lend for a bottle of wine (You could use mine if you don't mind collecting from lincolnshire). Don't forget you'll need a numberplate made up for your tow car.

Regards
Hugh

morcus - 21/1/10 at 03:23 AM

If it'll go in a van it will save you alot of hassle with things like getting a number plate and I would have thought it would be easier to drive a van than a car and trailer.

£40 seems fair.