Board logo

Drivers are 'wallets on wheels whose taxes don't go on roads'
bartonp - 26/2/10 at 03:21 PM

Drivers are 'wallets on wheels whose taxes don't go on roads' – Daily Telegraph
A lack of investment in the UK road network is causing increased congestion and making motorists more vulnerable to accidents, according to a report by the Road Users' Alliance. Bottlenecks, badly designed junctions and a lack of motorways mean drivers are increasingly getting stuck in jams, costing the economy as much as £8bn a year in lost productivity. Of the £47bn a year raised in taxes from motorists, just £4bn is spent on improving roads.

blakep82 - 26/2/10 at 03:22 PM

sounds about right

GMPMotorsport - 26/2/10 at 03:25 PM

Nothing new there then......

Daddylonglegs - 26/2/10 at 03:25 PM

Ho Hum...

adithorp - 26/2/10 at 03:58 PM

From the Daily Torygraph, that well known home of balanced journelism

adrian

wilkingj - 26/2/10 at 04:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
From the Daily Torygraph, that well known home of balanced journelism

adrian

Maybe... But it isnt saying that everything is Rosy and Hunky Dory when we all know its not.

Unbalanced it may be... But in the right direction in my opinion.

owelly - 26/2/10 at 05:34 PM

You lot are always keen to have a crack at the politicians and you're all been unfair. I may not be up to speed on the politics of this country but c'mon guys, give poor Churchill a chance. He's doing his best........

Dangle_kt - 26/2/10 at 05:36 PM

What amazes me is the lack of media attention that gets directed at the "green" taxes on fuels, which were always meant to be invested into decent public transport.... But isn't being.

Isn't that really short sighted? Imagine all the talk is 100% right and we are killing the planet, and fuel is about to run out... Isn't it a bit worrying the money is being used to pay bankers bonuses and a war in two foriegn countries?

Hmmm.

austin man - 26/2/10 at 06:49 PM

I dont think political (what paper you read) views should be in question fact is we drive on roads unfit for the purpose. The roads in Rotherham shouldn't need speedbumps as the potholes slow you down sufficiently

Steve G - 26/2/10 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man
The roads in Rotherham shouldn't need speedbumps as the potholes slow you down sufficiently

Speedholes - now there's an idea i want to patent!! Wonder how much i can charge the council's / Highways dept for each "speedhole" Hmmm

Ninehigh - 27/2/10 at 08:44 AM

My missus is sending the council a nice little letter. "Get the roads fixed or I'm not paying my council tax. There's no way it costs you £140 a time to empty my bins"