Board logo

Sketchup
ChrisW - 11/11/10 at 09:11 PM

Quick question: Is Sketchup a viable alternative for drawing 2D designs for laser/waterjet cutting? I always used to use AutoCAD, but I was never very good with it, and I try to avoid downloading torrents these days. *ahem*

I guess what I'm asking is does it produce the correct kind of format for cutting?

Chris

minitici - 11/11/10 at 09:19 PM

I think only the "pro" version has suitable export functions (and you have to pay for that.

D Beddows - 11/11/10 at 09:20 PM

the full version yes, the free version no

mcerd1 - 11/11/10 at 10:11 PM

there are plent folk on her that could CAD up a few draings for you....

blakep82 - 11/11/10 at 10:28 PM

you can get a few dxf/dwg exporters for the free version. well, i have 2 anyway. each only works for some drawings, sometimes. er, so yes, sort of

loggyboy - 11/11/10 at 10:40 PM

IIRC SK5 or 6 allowed exporting without needing the pro versions.

3GEComponents - 12/11/10 at 11:00 AM

Chris,

More than happy to do drawings for you.

Kind regards

John

Neville Jones - 12/11/10 at 11:02 AM

Hi Chris,
I was looking for a DWG Editor download, when I came across this new FREE program from Dassault Systemes, who do Catia and Solidworks, so it should be excellent.

Took me the time to drink me cuppa to download and install, and looks like a modified Autocad 2d to me.
Will do everything you want to do, and saves as .dwg. Good starter help on the download site as well.

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/

No need for Autocad licences any more!

Cheers,
Nev.

Edit: Just had a good look at the program. It's Autocad 2d/3d in all but name. Accepts all the a'cad keyboard shortcuts, and saves and exports in all the usual formats you would ever need for any of the cutting systems, except maybe cnc.

You might want to 'sticky' this, as people are often asking for free cad software.

[Edited on 12/11/10 by Neville Jones]

ChrisW - 12/11/10 at 01:48 PM

Thanks Nev. I'll give that a go!

John - What info do you need from me in order to draw something? It's purely so I can get the bits laser/water cut.

Chris

3GEComponents - 12/11/10 at 03:21 PM

Hi Chris,

If you scan a sketch with dimensions on I should be able to work with that.

Kind regards

John

scudderfish - 12/11/10 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Hi Chris,
I was looking for a DWG Editor download, when I came across this new FREE program from Dassault Systemes, who do Catia and Solidworks, so it should be excellent.

Took me the time to drink me cuppa to download and install, and looks like a modified Autocad 2d to me.
Will do everything you want to do, and saves as .dwg. Good starter help on the download site as well.

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/download-draftsight/

No need for Autocad licences any more!

Cheers,
Nev.

Edit: Just had a good look at the program. It's Autocad 2d/3d in all but name. Accepts all the a'cad keyboard shortcuts, and saves and exports in all the usual formats you would ever need for any of the cutting systems, except maybe cnc.

You might want to 'sticky' this, as people are often asking for free cad software.

[Edited on 12/11/10 by Neville Jones]

Excellent! There is even a Mac version