Board logo

Whats a caravan chassis worth?
wilkingj - 9/6/12 at 11:46 AM

I might be getting a caravan soon, but its a scrapper. The chassis is good, and would probably make a decent Locost Trailer.

So chaps... Whats the chassis worth?

owelly - 9/6/12 at 11:54 AM

It depends on the contruction and material of the chassis and the type of axle. If it has a good Alko axle that is beefy enough to carry a car plus deckframe, and the brakes/bearings are in good condition, the axle is worth £50-£60. If it has a good hitch there's another £30-£40. Wheels and tyres £20. If the chassis can be used as a base for the transporter, there's another £40. All IMHO of course.

rpm - 9/6/12 at 12:35 PM

the last trailer i built was from a single axle alko chassis which i got a 2nd axle with to make a 4 wheeler, all for £50

froggy - 9/6/12 at 01:16 PM

The caravan breaker on my industrial estate sells twin wheel Chassis on wheels for £100

twybrow - 9/6/12 at 02:02 PM

I was out when eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace finished on ebay. Steel chassis, with no rating plate... £52

jossey - 9/6/12 at 03:42 PM

A caravan breakers near me gives them away for free. I got 2 to try make cash out of and tried to sell with little success.

Ended up with a load of rubbish in garden from cleaning the Chassis up and couldn't sell.

big_wasa - 9/6/12 at 07:32 PM

I paid £40 for my last one. I want another and prices have been a little more but nothing local yet.