Board logo

scrap engines, any value?
steve m - 24/1/13 at 04:05 PM

I have at long last deceided to get rid of all the scrap/blown up , or well buggerd engines and bits
Before i take them all down the tip, is there any scrap value that i can get on them?

It wouldnt take to long to seperate them into cast, steel, aluiminium,

Steve

loggyboy - 24/1/13 at 04:32 PM

mixed metal is about 150-200 a tonne, so expect 20 quid for an engine. dirty alum is a little more, so maybe add £5-10 for a head and various mounts etc that might be alum.
(prices based on a weigh in I did a 5-6 weeks ago.)

MikeRJ - 24/1/13 at 04:47 PM

If you can separate the aluminum and steel/iron parts then you will get a fair bit extra for scrap.

spiderman - 24/1/13 at 04:56 PM

Scrap prices can vary quite a bit from £100 to £200+ also phone around your local scrap dealers for the best price. The closest one to my work only pays half of what the one the other side of town does so for the sake of a few miles which one do you think I use. Also if you are there you may be able to buy someone else's scrap which may be of use to you, of the two I mentioned earlier one will sell you stuff, one won't, guess which one. It is surprising what people will throw away, I bought 3 sheets of 8x4 16swg aluminium to do all my body panels for £10 each and as he was paying me for some scrap I took down there it worked out very nicely indeed.

mcerd1 - 24/1/13 at 05:06 PM

iron engine blocks are good for mooring boats from

designer - 24/1/13 at 05:24 PM

quote:

iron engine blocks are good for mooring boats from

And they make a very good, poor mans anvil!

chillis - 24/1/13 at 06:15 PM

I guess it depends what the engines are and whether there are any components that could be re-used. Blow ups - did you do a proper job ie grenaded them

Garyd - 24/1/13 at 06:17 PM

What engines are they? Old ones like x flows
Still go for good money on e bay. Even when in bits

deezee - 24/1/13 at 06:29 PM

Just incase you didn't know ( I didn't) Rules have changed for scrap now. You'll need ID, proof of address and bank details. To combat gypsies and the such. Money is either cheque or bacs payment to your account. Only takes a few minutes to do, but they won't pay otherwise.

stevegough - 25/1/13 at 07:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by deezee
Just incase you didn't know ( I didn't) Rules have changed for scrap now. You'll need ID, proof of address and bank details. To combat gypsies and the such. Money is either cheque or bacs payment to your account. Only takes a few minutes to do, but they won't pay otherwise.

Have to second this one - I weighed in my junk a couple of months ago and the rules changed the following week. Ring and check first.

bigfoot4616 - 25/1/13 at 09:22 AM

couple of plumbers i know aren't to happy about the changes, the scrap copper was a nice little earner for them.

the new rules don't apply to cars though

matt_gsxr - 25/1/13 at 09:29 AM

Thank goodness new rules have come in. Three lead thefts from the local school.

Sounds like it is pretty easy to satisfy the rules if you aren't breaking the law or tax evading.

bigfoot4616 - 25/1/13 at 09:41 AM

i can't see it making much difference, if your the sort of person who steals the scrap you'll probably know a dodgy scrap man who will take it of you.
the law breakers will always find ways round these rules and i wouldn't class a bit of scrap copper for cash as tax evading, its not like they don't pay enough of it.

matt_gsxr - 25/1/13 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
i can't see it making much difference, if your the sort of person who steals the scrap you'll probably know a dodgy scrap man who will take it of you.
the law breakers will always find ways round these rules and i wouldn't class a bit of scrap copper for cash as tax evading, its not like they don't pay enough of it.

Send the dodgy scrap men down (my local scappy) http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/10121993.Men_charged_after_raids_at_scrap_yards/
They will charge on the costs of the scrap (probably with a markup).

People choosing when its tax evasion isn't a good way to run a system, as everyone selects their particular fiddle to be acceptable.

loggyboy - 25/1/13 at 10:25 AM

The new rules are BOLLOCKS - as you can still get cash if you tell them you are of no fixed abode!

Ninehigh - 25/1/13 at 09:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
The new rules are BOLLOCKS - as you can still get cash if you tell them you are of no fixed abode!

Which begs the question, what's a tramp doing with 30 yards of copper and a sackful of flat lead plates?