Board logo

MG TF seat belt tensioners
Simon - 30/1/15 at 08:05 PM

Folks

Got a replacement interior for tf which I fitted. Sadly I threw the old seats and tensioners away before fitting; replacement seats had old red plugs on. I have since got the right tensioners but having just wired them in (not bolted them in) I still have the SBS light on dash.
Is this something that needs clearing as an error code or do I have something else to look for.

Cheers

Simon

Slimy38 - 31/1/15 at 01:04 AM

I believe any fault that is a potential safety issue has to be manually cleared. Which includes any airbag or similar disconnect.

fazerruss - 31/1/15 at 06:21 AM

Not on the MGTF. I had a faulty plug on a car I had in the past. Once the poor connection was fixed then the light self extinguished.
A Z3 I had though with a related problem kept its light on until I plugged in a reset tool to the OBD port.

Simon - 31/1/15 at 09:47 AM

Hmm, was reading web and contact cleaner might do the trick.

Cheers chaps

Simon

fazerruss - 31/1/15 at 10:48 AM

Contact cleaner in my experience is only good for noisey potentiometers. You would be better off taking the plugs apart and nipping the female part of the connector together to give a tighter fit. This in turn effectively scrapes off any oxidization on the terminals when refitted.

fazerruss - 31/1/15 at 10:54 AM

Check the yellow plugs on the ends of the pretentioners as they are crap. They are located on the end of the barrel and are covered in heat shrink sleeve. These same plugs were used on the MGTF and the Z3.