Board logo

Looking for kit car friendly MOT garage near Uxbridge/Slough area
james h - 19/9/15 at 08:53 AM

I need to get an MOT so I can get some fun out of the Indy before the sun goes away.

I have only had one done once before, and the place (near Lancaster) let me sit in and press the brakes etc. during the test. I don't know anywhere like that down here though!

I'm living in Uxbridge, so anywhere in a 10 mile radius would be good.

Any recommendations?

James

BenB - 19/9/15 at 12:52 PM

The Pitstop MOT place at Staples Corner (near J1 of the M1) are brilliant. I wouldn't go anywhere else. They test over a pit so the car doesn't have to get jacked up on a quad lift and they let me sit in the car for all the testing. They even leant me their tools for a bit of tinkering when it transpired I had no brake fluid in my front MC!

coozer - 19/9/15 at 02:23 PM

All you need is to find one with a straight drive in. Up on the ramps baffles most testers...

gdische - 19/9/15 at 07:55 PM

Punters have experience of kit and classic cars, but can be a bit pernickety. 22 New Road, Hillingdon, UB8 3DX

Geoff

motivforz - 20/9/15 at 07:22 AM

I found choosing a test centre with the larger mechanics ensured that I stayed with the car for the test, they couldn't get into it to drive it! Really friendly chaps though so I've tried to build a relationship with them, unfortunately in Oxfordshire though.

SJ - 20/9/15 at 09:20 AM

I use my local garage in Croxley [not too far for you]- New Road service station. They have done my Indy three or four times. I just drop it off with them and other than some brake issues after it had been stood for a long time I've had no problems.
I'm also round the corner if you hit any problems.

Stu

[Edited on 20/9/15 by SJ]

james h - 20/9/15 at 09:11 PM

Those sound good - I thought anything within the M25 would be awkward to get to but Google reckons it won't be that bad. And garages with kit car experience is a must really.

I was asking in anticipation of getting it sorted imminently, but now I have been stumped by my dash - apparently I'm always driving at 0 mph (on the small street outside the lockup). I'll give those you've all suggested a ring for prices and gauge how they'd be with a BEC kit car.

Thanks!