Board logo

Le Mans 2010 accomodation
mads - 20/10/09 at 06:43 PM

So for my birthday present this year, the other half is taking me to Le Mans next year. Even though other half is paying, want to make it as locost as possible.. Just wondered if anyone has been and any recommendations/tips on where to stay? I dont do camping so B&B is minimum I want to look at.

[Edited on 20/10/09 by mads]

MakeEverything - 20/10/09 at 07:50 PM

Caravanning then??

[Edited on 20/10/09 by MakeEverything]

Jon Ison - 20/10/09 at 08:16 PM

Honestly even though you say you don't do camping at Le Man you should, any affordable not booked yet for next year B&B would be miles away anyhow.

Have you done Le Man before ?

Its the campsites that make it what it is.

I personally could not imagine it without, its not camping as such there, its more joining in the party with somewhere to sleep (if you can) for a few hours.

eta maybe hire a motorhome and plonk that on a campsite, you wont take in the 24hr experience in a B&B 50 miles away

[Edited on 20/10/09 by Jon Ison]

mads - 20/10/09 at 08:44 PM

Hi Jon,
No, not done Le Mans before. Reason I say I dont do camping is because done it twice before in my life and it has lashed it down so hated the whole concept of it since.

Will re-consider it but if anyone has any accomodation suggestions/contacts then still would like to know

MakeEverything - nice, how much?!

spdpug98 - 20/10/09 at 09:01 PM

Take a look at www.beermountain.com I got lots of information from there prior to my first visit (not stopped going since)

This is what we take:

I believe that 2010 wil be a scorcher with temps back in the 30's!!!!!!

[Edited on 20/10/09 by spdpug98]

Blackcab - 20/10/09 at 09:08 PM

Le man is about the camping - there are lots of sites - something for everyone, for your first time I suggest you go with a group ... White Rabbit racing for instance - they put on a cracking site last year.

B and B you will 25 mile out if you not booked it by now,

I have done le man a dozen times so had a rainy night or 2 - get a good size tent , a good off the floor camp bed ... not blow up ! a small gas cooker and then enjoy the weekend ...

if you have any questions speak to Guy at White Rabbit Racing - he is a decent bloke and tries is hardest to look after everyone on his site

James - 20/10/09 at 11:27 PM

Lashed it down?

I went with the boys from here (including Jon Ison) in 2003 and it was the hottest I've ever been!
41° if I recall correctly!

Cheers,
James

spdpug98 - 21/10/09 at 07:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by James
in 2003 and it was the hottest I've ever been!

Cheers,
James

We went on a coach in 2003 and remember walking back to the coach at 2.30am to stock up again with beer, and the tarmac in Parking Rouge was so hot you couldn't walk on it in bare feet - at 5.30am is was already up in the 30's

Lets all hope for 2010

Jon Ison - 21/10/09 at 07:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by James
Lashed it down?

I went with the boys from here (including Jon Ison) in 2003 and it was the hottest I've ever been!

Cheers,
James

Remember it well, 5 cold showers a day to cool down...... conrods chips went down well, remember the shopping trip ? Firework display ? The upside down bungee ? The 3 am bottle raids ? And who could forget PTM ?

You really do have to be on the camp sites.

DM - 21/10/09 at 07:51 AM

When travelling I usually prefer to use nice accommodation but for Le Mans camping is a must or you'll just be missing out. My caveat to that would be to go for one of the private campsites – ours had a nice fence and security guard to keep the riff raff out... all gets a bit madmax after dark in some of the public campsites!

(but some would say thats the fun of it)

each to their own

pif - 21/10/09 at 08:45 AM

just to add further, camping is a must. Went last year for the first time and it was excellent.
my tips are
- get sleep whenever, wherever you can cos you wont have much time or opportunity once you get there. Dont underestimate this. from leaving home wed night to back tuesday 2am we slept approx 18 to 20 hours.

- mad friday is just that, very mad. if its not your thing stay away and defo dont drive anywhere

- get to arnarge corner during the night. may have to drive here or cadge a lift.

- be on the start straight for start, french commentary is hyper and comical.

- some of the best cars you will see are on the way there and back

- stay on an enclosure campsite, white rabbit or speedchills are very good.

- get everything you need from the supermarket when you arrive, no chance to go out again once arrived

- drink lots of beer

- lots of walking remember its 8.4 miles per lap.

- no "offical" access to mulsanne straight, so thats a cross country trek in the dark but worth it. look on you tube for leman mulsanne straight in the dark. be sensible and no frenchie marshall will trouble you.

- get a grandstand seat for the sunday as you will be v tired by then, missus will be worse and cover from weather if bad.

ENJOY - ENJOY - ENJOY