Board logo

streaming from pc to tv?
blakep82 - 30/11/09 at 10:34 PM

keep seeing the PC world adverts banging on about streaming from PC to tv wirelessly

can't find any info on how its actually done though.

anyone know?

McLannahan - 30/11/09 at 10:37 PM

Wireless media centre/streamer

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Linksys-by-Cisco-DMA2200-Wireless-N-Media-Streamer_W0QQitemZ280429672950QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_DVDPlayer s_Recorders?hash=item414ae939f6

blakep82 - 30/11/09 at 10:38 PM

ah, that makes sense thanks.
nothing specific to do with windows 7 as they make out then? lol

McLannahan - 30/11/09 at 10:41 PM

Windows 7 supports this sort of technology - HomeGroups as it's called. It's one network to share and stream files and documents.

Any wireless streamer will do it too - just a tiny bit more setting up.

cerbera - 30/11/09 at 11:30 PM

Unless you want to stream HD content, all you need is an old XBOX (£20) with XBMC installed and a wireless gaming adapter (£20)

Liam - 1/12/09 at 12:06 AM

PS3 and some free software called TVersity will do it too. TVersity might also work on an Xbox360 too, dunno.

splitrivet - 1/12/09 at 12:13 AM

I use an Xbox 360 didnt need TVversity and have no probs, in fact I use it more for streaming than game playing using XP.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 1/12/09 by splitrivet]

whitestu - 1/12/09 at 08:07 AM

Mine is just connected with a 5m VGA lead from PC to TV, going under the floor.

RazMan - 1/12/09 at 08:58 AM

I've recently set up a system which consists of a Netgear Digital Entertainer 8000 HD (getting cheap on eBay recently) and a Powerline network on a Windows 7 PC.

Setup was a bit touchy using the wireless network connection so I swapped to the Powerline kit (which connects via your house mains wiring) and everything started to make more sense. No software is needed as the media streamer has everything built in.

I can now download all my movies and stream them to my 52" plasma TV in HD. I also installed a NAS drive so I don't even need to switch the PC on - really chuffed with the setup.

Jumpy Guy - 1/12/09 at 10:08 AM

Slifgtly OT- I use an xbox and xbmc, which works well with small films, but no use for larger files

Is there any way on an xbox360 to copy films etc to the hard drive locally?

I know I can copy games locally to the HDD....

Jasper - 1/12/09 at 01:00 PM

I use a Popcorn Hour - but I'd be suprised if you'd get HD movies to stream wirelessly.

PCH are pretty cheap and do the job superby, it will play any movie format, then you could get a couple of mains circuit network adapters...

Trouble with all these things is they are farily tricky to get set up and working IMO.

Dale - 1/12/09 at 03:19 PM

I just have an old p3 600 mhz with an svid out going to the tv with a wireless mouse. Plays just about everything via vlc player. Its wired ethernet and all the vids are on an external usb drive on my pc. Works a treat.
Total cost was the price of the mouse,
Dale

Dangle_kt - 1/12/09 at 10:50 PM

Just a big thankyou for this thread, just enjoyed a movie on the big screen after geting my xbox 360 (which until today was an unwanted, unused present) on the network and acting as a media centre.

Cost me the price of a rj45 cable. Perfect.

Thanks guys.

[Edited on 1/12/09 by Dangle_kt]

blakep82 - 1/12/09 at 10:54 PM

^ ah yeah, meant to say i don't want to do it. just curious as to how they do it on the advert. didn't know how it was done lol
glad you got some use out of it though mate