Board logo

My annual AA rant
stevec - 9/3/10 at 10:19 AM

Just had my renewal letter from the AA.
We play a silly game every year where they send a renewal price that is more than the new customer online price.
This time for joint breakdown and relay£138. Online price for the same thing £88
1 phone call later all sorted get it changed to £88
Every year this happens, I wonder how many people just let them auto renew from their credit card.
Gits.

Steve

eddie99 - 9/3/10 at 10:23 AM

Our annual renewal is in July. So will definitely check it out then. Thanks for the heads up.

Davegtst - 9/3/10 at 10:23 AM

Hundreds of thousands, thats why they do it. It's all about the money.

fesycresy - 9/3/10 at 10:29 AM

Wife has the same with her insurance every year. I think it's Norwich Union Direct or whatever it's called these days.

With insurance do you notice 'new customers' get M&S vouchers or similar?

She always asks what about loyal customers and every year she gets £20 of vouchers

55ant - 9/3/10 at 10:35 AM

my sister had her car insurance renewal, it was a couple of quid more than last year (around £600) , popped online and had a quote from her current insurance company for nearly £200 of the renewal price!

BenB - 9/3/10 at 10:37 AM

I just threaten to go to RAC.
Gets the price down nice and quickly.

balidey - 9/3/10 at 10:40 AM

I did the same thing with the AA end of Jan.
They just hope people blindly pay it. And I bet most just do.

fesycresy - 9/3/10 at 10:47 AM

Just on a side note, my bank account has AA 'recovery to the nearest garage' included.

That was no use to me, I wanted recovery to the house so I could fix it.

I rang the AA and upgraded for something like £40 ??

jabbahutt - 9/3/10 at 10:51 AM

I'm gobsmacked at the price difference! guess who one of the fools is who just renews every year!!!

cheers for the heads up, guess I'll be having a chat come August

MikeR - 9/3/10 at 11:01 AM

when you sign up - make sure you do/don't tick the auto renewal box (i can't remember how its worded hence the do / don't).

I didn't but the guy signing me up did - i suspect he got more of a bonus. I ranted at them a year later and got free home start. Had it ever since. As i'm not auto renew i seem to get the 90 quid price for the first three options.

nitram38 - 9/3/10 at 11:04 AM

I just switch to the best deal every year for both recovery and car insurance. Some insurers chuck in recovery free, so make sure you don't pay twice!

scootz - 9/3/10 at 11:04 AM

Cheeky Burgers!

40inches - 9/3/10 at 12:11 PM

Same thing every year with the RAC Quick phone call, all sorted, prats!

will121 - 9/3/10 at 12:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB

I said/done this a couple of years ago and must have caught the person on a bad day as all they said was ok in that case i will cancel renewal from today and hung up!!!

eddie99 - 9/3/10 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by will121
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

I said/done this a couple of years ago and must have caught the person on a bad day as all they said was ok in that case i will cancel renewal from today and hung up!!!

Quality Customer Service!!!

DM - 9/3/10 at 12:59 PM

Easy answer, change to ADAC.

Much better deal and you still get recovered by the AA when used in the UK

edspurrier - 9/3/10 at 01:26 PM

Try Auto Aid - recovery insurance for £37 per year for a couple driving any car

02GF74 - 9/3/10 at 02:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by balidey
I did the same thing with the AA end of Jan.
They just hope people blindly pay it. And I bet most just do.

yep, I do and have been doing so since I joined back in 1904, probably could have bought Paraguay with the money I could have saved.

maximill666 - 9/3/10 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:

yep, I do and have been doing so since I joined back in 1904, probably could have bought Paraguay with the money I could have saved.

Jesus christ you must be one old bastard, thats 106 years ago

big_wasa - 9/3/10 at 05:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
Just on a side note, my bank account has AA 'recovery to the nearest garage' included.

That was no use to me, I wanted recovery to the house so I could fix it.

I rang the AA and upgraded for something like £40 ??

I do the same

eddbaz - 9/3/10 at 07:19 PM

Just noticed on my credit card statement that I had been auto renewed two and a half weeks ago,can't remember receiving any notification of it. Charged me £103.5 for single person with recovery, checked and online price is £69 phoned and was told can't get refund as only available for 14 days after policy started,explained that I was happy to stay if I could pay the online price of £69,was told they couldn't do this either as it was only for new customers. Eventually agreed to refund me when I said I wasn't propared to accept this. Gone with the rac now for £71 and will have to keep an eye out when the renewal is due with them.

jacko - 9/3/10 at 08:51 PM

As a side note i am with the RAC but when i was with the AA they told me if i was in a crash / accident they would not take me home / recovery it was only breakdowns
thats why i went to the RAC
this was about 5 years ago so may be different now
Jacko

flipp - 9/3/10 at 10:54 PM

yep have done the annual haggle over price for around 10 years now,sometimes on the plus side I have recieved some freebies,ie road maps, first aid kits etc,so is always worth the phone call.