Board logo

Cycling in Snow...
scootz - 3/12/10 at 08:48 PM

Good grief... how stupid are some folk!? Was taking Mrs Scootz to work this morning. Minus 5 degrees, dark, snowing and 2 inches of it on the A199 and several feet of it at the sides of the carriage-way. What do I see coming the other way... ??? A cyclist!

He had that 'look at me - how wacky am I' look on his face!

And whilst I'm ranting... what about those who cycle through the city with one of those 'baby-trailers' on the rear. You know, those little enclosed tents with wheels that kids sit in. Just call me old fashioned, but are kids not something we should try and protect (particularly our own!). Personally, I wouldn't trust dozy commuters to notice that my bicycle is articulated and not squash my kid!

[Edited on 3/12/10 by scootz]

SeanStone - 3/12/10 at 08:51 PM

survival of the fittest...

l0rd - 3/12/10 at 08:55 PM

I hate cyclists.

Specially the ones that do it for the environment. They slow down so many cars that when overtaking the CO2 produced would be a lot more if they were actually driving a car at work.

In Greece, there is a rule that says a vehicle can go on a road only if the speed limit can be matched by the vehicle.

I would like to see a cyclist doing 60Mph.

scootz - 3/12/10 at 08:57 PM

I don't care how fit he was... if a snow plough or lorry came up behind him and didn't see him (entirely possible in the conditions described) then he was getting burst!

matt_gsxr - 3/12/10 at 08:57 PM

why don't all the people use their government issued cars.

Oh yes, perhaps they don't have one.

Live and let live, I say.

Matt

Simon - 3/12/10 at 09:19 PM

I actually enjoy enjoy cycling and indeed, even last night I and two others went our for a ride in the snow - primarily in fields and up footpaths but we had to use the road as well - kind of useful as they link the paths together.

I don't ride for the "environment", I do it to get fitter and cos I really enjoy it and I have lights and reflective clothing.

Here's a not particularly flattering pic of me at Bedgebury Forest in the snow at the beginining of the year. 'scuse the pose, I had to lean back as my gut was losing the fight with gravity

Rather than criticise, I'd recommend you try it (but if you're going out in these conditions, do try and wear appropriate clothing).

Forgot to mention, while we were out, and waiting at some traffic lights, we hear a noisy pipe (blown exhaust) and a lot of thrashing only to see a twat in a Clio, with friends hanging out the window, trying to slide his car around the bends (and failing!)

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 3/12/10 by Simon]

tomgregory2000 - 3/12/10 at 09:22 PM

I was cycling in the snow yesterday and it was fecking great fun, i also enjoy cycling and it saves me a fortune in diesel each week but i did drive the defender today

try it you will like it

scootz - 3/12/10 at 09:26 PM

I have no problem with cycling, or cyclists in general, but there is a time and a place!

The A199, as described, during commuter hour is NOT the place to be doing it!

snippy - 3/12/10 at 09:29 PM

I cycle to work to keep fit and my commute racks up 100 miles per week. I wear reflective jackets, have a reflective rucksack with flashing lights on it, 2 seperate red flashing lights on the rear, 2 seperate white flashing lights on the front and I do wear a helmet too. I have a road bike so at the minute it`s too icy for my thin smooth tyres. There`s no reason you shouldn`t cycle in the snow if you have the right bike and kit. I haven`t so I`m not risking it!

adithorp - 3/12/10 at 09:33 PM

He's the one with the right to be there.

scootz - 3/12/10 at 09:38 PM

That's all well and good, but you're working on the assumption that other motorists will notice these things and that they too will drive accordingly in such weather.

They don't! Many are bleary eyed, only looking out for car sized (and larger) objects, whilst peering through the 6 inch square they cleared on their windscreen and texting their mate with a weather update!

Cyclists are a soft target at the best of times... they are sitting ducks in the conditions I described.

I appreciate cycling is essential and enjoyable for some - it's not so essential and enjoyable though that it's worth increasing the odds dramatically of becoming a statistic!

Simon - 3/12/10 at 09:46 PM

I agree about the soft bit and I don't know about where you live (particularly the A199), but we have had almost no traffic in the evenings recently - like last night, I reckon we were on the roads for 1/2 hour and saw probably two cars, the twat mentioned earlier, and another, who was in my way, holding us up

ATB

Simon

l0rd - 3/12/10 at 10:05 PM

Wednesday night i was coming back at home after a long day at work. It was 10.30 and the roads were still quite busy. I had loads of cars coming the other way and i was dazzled by their lights.

And there it was a cyclist only with a dim read light on the back, no reflective clothing doing 10mph when everyone else was doing 50. I was lucky enough to spot his small dim red light about 1/4 mile before as for a second i didn't have any cars coming up towards me and i slowed down doing 10mph up to the point i could overake.

I would too cycle at work to increase my fitness but only if there was a cyclist lane. I am not going out on the road just like that.

Btw, on my way back today, a lorry on the oposite lane nearly gave me a heart attack as the driver decided to overtake a cyclist and crossed the double line just 100ft away from me.

mad4x4 - 3/12/10 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

But does he...... He doesn't pay road tax , more than likely doesn't have insurance.......

Simon - 3/12/10 at 11:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
But does he...... He doesn't pay road tax , more than likely doesn't have insurance.......

Er, what on a bicycle. I haven't paid for road tax or insurance either. If you want me to pay road tax, I'll ride on the pavement

ATB

Simon

adithorp - 3/12/10 at 11:57 PM

quote:
quote:

Yes, he has a "right " to use the road, as do pedestrians and horse riders. Cars and there drivers do not have that "right" and have to be licenced to use it. So he does not require "road fund licence" although in reality he probably does pay it on the car he isn't clogging the road with... just to play devils advocate.

By the way, poor lights on bikes winds me up. There's no excuse given the price and quality of the lights available.

Ninehigh - 4/12/10 at 12:04 AM

quote:
Yes, he has a "right " to use the road, as do pedestrians and horse riders.

We're not arguing that, we're arguing that it's daft to be at the side of the road where the stupid, sleepless and blind can run him over in half a ton plus of metal. Go walking down there and find out.

Rocket_Rabbit - 4/12/10 at 04:03 AM

I bike to work.

Rest assured, when everything else on the road can kill you, you tend to pay attention...something most drivers don't do.

I know this because I have been driven into a few times now - Lights, Hi-Vis and correct signalling all go amiss when the driver says 'I didn't see you'. That is assuming they stop.

The other thing drivers have a habit of is overtaking you at traffic lights, at junctions, at turnings, pretty much the exact places that offer up the worst possible place to perform such a manouver. Infact only the other day, as I was on my way to work, a driving instructor overtook me on an iced up corner going through some roadworks. He almost hit the car coming the other way, and then almost slid into the kerb upon turning into a junction. Staying behind me would have cost him about 5 seconds.

As for road tax, since my vehicle produces next to no CO2/km, I could therefore get a tax disc FOC

As Simon says, unless you have actually done a decent amount of on road cycling, you cannot comment on this topic with any validity.

Ninehigh - 4/12/10 at 04:27 AM

Well I've been on powered ones, and yes the high-vis coat and permanent lights on make no difference.
There's no way I'd cycle on the roads round here (well not fast ones anyway) even if I was fit enough

Rocket_Rabbit - 4/12/10 at 05:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Well I've been on powered ones, and yes the high-vis coat and permanent lights on make no difference.

Yes, but powered ones make lots of noise, have car equivalent powered lights, and can do >180mph.

You will seldom ever get overtaken by a car on a Motorbike.

All in all, you still have no accurate frame of reference, just a self perceived one

Paul TigerB6 - 4/12/10 at 09:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I don't care how fit he was... if a snow plough or lorry came up behind him and didn't see him (entirely possible in the conditions described) then he was getting burst!

You mean any driver who is going too fast to be able to see for the conditions and so is actually driving without due care and attention!!!!

Bloody typical "I own a car and cyclists shouldn't ever be on the road" attitude that really pisses me off!!!

scootz - 4/12/10 at 10:23 AM

Missed my point completely Paul.

I'm not for a second suggesting that it's OK for people to drive that way... I'm just stating that THIS IS the way that many people drive! Welcome to the real-world!

Listen. If you want to ride a bicycle on a busy 60mph commuter road, at commuter time, when it's dark, in minus 5 snowy conditions, with a good covering of snow on the carriageway, just because you SHOULD be able to, then by all means crack-on mate! Just don't expect a great deal of sympathy from me when it all comes unstuck... which it will... eventually!

Just because you SHOULD be able to leave your entire life-savings in a bag on your own doorstep, doesn't make it a good idea!

Just because a completely inebriated young lady SHOULD be able to walk through an unlit park by herself in whatever state of undress she chooses, doesn't make it a good idea.

etc. etc. etc.

prawnabie - 4/12/10 at 10:37 AM

Its a fact that most driver go into autopilot when driving routes they are familiar with thats not going to change. I ride a motor and a push bike quite often and when I do so I ride under the impression its up to me to make myself seen, not up to the driver of the car/lorry etc to see me. If I cant make myself seen then I get the f**k out of the way.

Too many accidents are caused by cyclist that assume they have the same road presence as cars etc just because they have the right to be on the road.

prawnabie - 4/12/10 at 10:37 AM

Its a fact that most driver go into autopilot when driving routes they are familiar with thats not going to change. I ride a motor and a push bike quite often and when I do so I ride under the impression its up to me to make myself seen, not up to the driver of the car/lorry etc to see me. If I cant make myself seen then I get the f**k out of the way.

Too many accidents are caused by cyclist that assume they have the same road presence as cars etc just because they have the right to be on the road.

Paul TigerB6 - 4/12/10 at 11:23 AM

quote:

Listen. If you want to ride a bicycle on a busy 60mph commuter road, at commuter time, when it's dark, in minus 5 snowy conditions, with a good covering of snow on the carriageway, just because you SHOULD be able to, then by all means crack-on mate! Just don't expect a great deal of sympathy from me when it all comes unstuck... which it will... eventually!

So the road in those conditions is still a 60mph commuter road then is it?? If the road actually did have a good covering of snow like you say then frankly i'd have thought it would be a 5mph commuter road and the bike would have been overtaking the cars!!

Just because its a pedal bike doesnt mean it cant be seen. I've actually had a driver complain about my lights because it was "too bright" after i forgot to turn it down after being offroad - not all bike lights are £9.99 from Argos you know!! My front light was around the £400 mark and is more effective than many car headlights i've seen!! My clothing is also very reflective and has led markers on the sleeves. My rear led lights on flash mode is also seriously noticeable from both rear and sides!!

I feel perfectly visible at night myself, and with high intensity lights rather than the lower intensity larger lights that cars generally have then i'd suggest i'd be more visible in certain conditions - and any driver who cant see me shouldn't be driving!!!

If ANY road user cant make themselves visible to others then they shouldnt be there - but thats not limited to cyclists!!!!!! I hate cyclists who ride at night with no lights / dark clothing etc - but thats no excuse to label all cyclists the same which is what your generalisation has done!!!

prawnabie - 4/12/10 at 11:42 AM

I think one of the problems we face on the roads is that most people drive cars because they have to, unlike most cyclists that ride because they want to. Both sets of people have different agendas that often conflict with each other, this is made worse with the difference in speed.

How many times have we commuted to work in car and then realised that we have travelled a good distance thinking about something else - especially if we drive that route everyday. If you then think that 90% of people on the roads during rush hour ARE doing the same route they have done for a while then you can see why there are so many accidents.

roadrunner - 4/12/10 at 01:44 PM

quote:
That's all well and good, but you're working on the assumption that other motorists will notice these things and that they too will drive accordingly in such weather.

They don't! Many are bleary eyed, only looking out for car sized (and larger) objects, whilst peering through the 6 inch square they cleared on their windscreen and texting their mate with a weather update!

Cyclists are a soft target at the best of times... they are sitting ducks in the conditions I described.

I appreciate cycling is essential and enjoyable for some - it's not so essential and enjoyable though that it's worth increasing the odds dramatically of becoming a statistic!

So you are saying a cyclist shouldnt use the road because other road users are crap at driving.
I have been hit twice by W***ER drivers, and I have near misses nearly every day because they cant wait one or two seconds.

roadrunner - 4/12/10 at 01:48 PM

quote:
quote:

I pay two road taxes es and cycling to work pays for the kit car by saving £40 a week.
Also, even though i use a bike every day i still pay through the nose for the road tax.

Paul TigerB6 - 4/12/10 at 02:16 PM

quote:
quote:

And you think that means cyclists dont have a right to ride on the roads?? You're not serious??

scootz - 4/12/10 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
quote:

So you are saying a cyclist shouldnt use the road because other road users are crap at driving.
I have been hit twice by W***ER drivers, and I have near misses nearly every day because they cant wait one or two seconds.

Am I typing in a foreign language or something!? No, I am NOT saying that cyclists shouldn't use the roads because other road users are crap at driving. I'm merely suggesting that cyclists shouldn't use the roads in the conditions I DESCRIBED because a number of other road users are crap with their observations and judgement!

Jeez, you've just validated my point with your second paragraph telling us how you've been hit twice and have had daily near misses! If you're having daily near-misses, then there's obviously an issue here... even when conditions are fine! Now lets make the conditions really bad (as I DESCRIBED) and what's just happened? Yup, the risk to the cyclist has just shot through the roof!

It's entirely up to you to make your own risk-assessments on your daily activities and if you think that cycling in the conditions as described is worth the punt, then as I said before... crack on fella! Personally I think to do so is nuts!

ashg - 4/12/10 at 03:28 PM

i tried riding a bike in the snow once. it seemed like hard work so i gave up and went back in the warm

LBMEFM - 4/12/10 at 05:36 PM

The road is dangerous if not used properly, that go's for speeders, cars in poor condition, slow unobservant drivers but I must say that when I hear cyclist talking they are always on about the way motorist treat them. Yet very often I see them on unlite cycles, not stopping at red lights, going around round-a-bouts the wrong way, mounting pavements and generally having total disregard for the rules of the road. This coupled with the fact there is no need to have a any form of test, licence, insurance there is no age limit on riders and I often seen riders who have obviously been drinking and also racing clubs going through the narrow streets around here two or three abreast going in excess of the 20mph speed limits. It maybe that many cyclist are responsible road users but surely there must soon be some form of legislation to control the dangerou ones. When you consider the costs of motoring and the fines imposed surely all road users should be responsible for their actions and pay when they break the law.

roadrunner - 4/12/10 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
The road is dangerous if not used properly, that go's for speeders, cars in poor condition, slow unobservant drivers but I must say that when I hear cyclist talking they are always on about the way motorist treat them. Yet very often I see them on unlite cycles, not stopping at red lights, going around round-a-bouts the wrong way, mounting pavements and generally having total disregard for the rules of the road. This coupled with the fact there is no need to have a any form of test, licence, insurance there is no age limit on riders and I often seen riders who have obviously been drinking and also racing clubs going through the narrow streets around here two or three abreast going in excess of the 20mph speed limits. It maybe that many cyclist are responsible road users but surely there must soon be some form of legislation to control the dangerou ones. When you consider the costs of motoring and the fines imposed surely all road users should be responsible for their actions and pay when they break the law.

I agree with you with some points, there are some morons who do as they like on there bike, but they are not dedicated cyclists, they are just kids or knobs who dont give a s**t. But if a cyclist makes a mistake, who does it hurt, when a motorist makes a mistake, who gets killed.
Its alright having a go at the bloke on the bike, but who really needs the lessons on how to use the road.
Can we finish this thread now, I get all worked up about it. One day some thick ignorant driver who cuts me off or squeezes me against parked cars is going to find himself on the end of my fist.

Ninehigh - 4/12/10 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Its alright having a go at the bloke on the bike, but who really needs the lessons on how to use the road.

Everyone.
No exceptions seeing as we're all above average drivers.
End

Rocket_Rabbit - 5/12/10 at 01:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

100% agree with that.

I do my absolute damndest to make sure I am seen and that any manouver I make mill prevent me from being squashed.

Sometimes, this means deliberately riding in the middle of the road and pi55ing off car drivers. So be it - if they paid more attention....

Simon - 5/12/10 at 05:33 PM

quote:
End

I'm RoSPA and IAM Advanced and ex motorcycle instructor so count myself as above average

ATB

Simon

dhutch - 5/12/10 at 06:44 PM

I was out biking this weekend, all be it on the hills not the roads. However i dont see why people should cycle in the snow, for some people, it is there normal method of getting around, nobody is stopping you driving your car!!

Daniel

Ninehigh - 5/12/10 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:
End

I'm RoSPA and IAM Advanced and ex motorcycle instructor so count myself as above average

ATB

Simon

I'll let you off then

Simon - 6/12/10 at 08:08 PM

Thanks very much

ATB

Simon

Paul TigerB6 - 9/12/10 at 08:20 PM

quote:

Am I typing in a foreign language or something!?[/qoute]

yes - its called the "lets dig ourselves into a hole with my blinkered view" language (blinkered like the drivers who go around not observing properly) by making the contradictory comment below!!!

quote:
No, I am NOT saying that cyclists shouldn't use the roads because other road users are crap at driving. I'm merely suggesting that cyclists shouldn't use the roads in the conditions I DESCRIBED because a number of other road users are crap with their observations and judgement!

So being crap at observation and judgement doesnt mean some people are crap drivers?? REALLY??? So they could be good drivers then??

Well i am an IAM qualified driver and pretty much the majority of the test revolved around observation and judgement - but i guess you are right and the whole of the IAM is wrong............ clearly in your mind, observation and judgement have nothing to do with being a good driver!! Personally i'd say the opposite but what do i know!!

I'll ask my friend who's an ambulance driver and now is sat at home with whiplash after a driver drove into her great big ambulance because "he didn't see it". His observation was clearly pretty damn crap that day - but i guess in your eyes he could well be a good driver still. Tell that to the cops who recommended he be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. Its just a good job she wasnt on a bike as she'd be dead in all likelyhood - but clearly that would have been her own fault for getting in the way of the good driver who just happened inconveniently to be poor with his observation!!!

Ninehigh - 9/12/10 at 08:51 PM

You have got to ask questions when someone claims they didn't see an ambulance - a vehicle aesthetically designed to be so visible it can get to emergencies way faster than standard Ford Transits

scootz - 9/12/10 at 10:57 PM

Paul...

Roadrunner stated, "So you are saying a cyclist shouldnt use the road because other road users are crap at driving". At no point did I ever say that. Feel free to quote me to the contrary... you won't. So hopefully that bits settled - I never wrote it!

I replied, "I'm merely suggesting that cyclists shouldn't use the roads in the conditions I DESCRIBED because a number of other road users are crap with their observations and judgement!"

You'll note that the words, "I DESCRIBED", were in capitals in my response. This was for a reason... !!!

Now, hopefully to clarify for the last time and to try and put it in as plain english as I possibly can... cycling on the road in the conditions I DESCRIBED (and you didn't see them!) was verging on suicidal. Just the same as walking on the road in the conditions I DESCRIBED (and you didn't see them!) was verging on suicidal. Just the same as roller-skating on the road in the conditions I DESCRIBED (and you didn't see them!) was verging on suicidal. Just the same as pogo-sticking on the road in the conditions I DESCRIBED (and you didn't see them!) was verging on suicidal. Etc. etc. etc.

Based on an assessment of the road as I DESCRIBED (which you didn't see) together with prior experience of dealing with fatalities involving cyclists (including fatalities involving cyclists in adverse driving conditions), then I feel I'm reasonably well qualified to suggest that this guy was taking a spectacularly ill-thought out course of action.

I'll stand by this quote...

quote:
I have no problem with cycling, or cyclists in general, but there is a time and a place!

The A199, as described, during commuter hour is NOT the place to be doing it!

02GF74 - 10/12/10 at 09:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
I think one of the problems we face on the roads is that most people drive cars because they have to, unlike most cyclists that ride because they want to.

That's not true. Nobody needs to own a car. If people lived close to work then they could easily walk. The vast majority if car journeys are probably less than 3 miles (check the statistics but it is like that).

But because they can afford to run a car and buy a nice house in the sticks they commute to the grubby big shitty, not to mention taking the kiddies in a 4x4 to the school that is 1/2 mile away.

Anyways, seems the car vs bikers need to meet after work for a good old punch upf!!

coyoteboy - 12/12/10 at 11:50 PM

As a long term cyclist and a petrolhead I find some of the comments on here dissappointing. We SHARE the road. If you can't overtake a cyclist easily you're either in a tight place with low visibility and little room (and so unlikely to gain more than a few seconds by overtaking the cyclist) or you should take your test again. I really REALLY don't see any points where the two can't live together perfectly happily providing both respect each other and give each other room and think about how the other has to deal with them. Good lighting is a MUST for bikes, it's unfair to expect drivers to see a candle in the snow, and there are plenty of lights out there that make us super-visible. Likewise a little patience isn't much to ask for from drivers. I know it can seem really annoying to be held up behind a bike for 30 seconds - it seems like an age - but really, it's 30 seconds...

Last week, in -17, I cycled to work faster than I could make it in the car (primarily because my diesel refused to start after the -20 overnight temps). Down 60s, 40s and 30s. Not once did I have a problem with the cars. Not once did I hold anyone up and not once did any driver hold me up. The only problem I had was when my chain broke 1/2 a mile from work on the way home and left me 9.5 miles walk in the dark.

The people I find by far the most stupid in these conditions are those who drive 3ft from my arse in ice and snow, who pull out without looking in ice and snow, and those who tank about like it's dry and sunny. Anyone else is welcome on the roads I'm on, and I am capable of driving to not find encountering them a problem.

Ninehigh - 13/12/10 at 12:39 AM

We're not the problem, it's the rest of the unwashed, irresponsible and hard-of-thinking out there!

andkilde - 13/12/10 at 04:26 PM

Hey Scootz, as a cyclist and a motorist I'll take the bullet for you and just say it

There are times and conditions where a safety conscious cyclist should avoid the roads because the vast majority (perhaps more fairly, a large proportion) of motorists are such complete talentless knobs they can barely keep their cars on the road.

I'm not familiar with the A199, but bicycles, small displacement motorcycles, farm implements and whatnot are restricted from using motorways in Canada.

Motorists here are horrible at sharing the road in good weather, and our roads are not well designed for cyclists, though things are slowly improving.

Education levels are abysmal, a Police officer actually recommended to my son's class that kids should always ride on the sidewalks (pavement?) during a safety day talk, in spite of it being spectacularly dangerous _AND_ illegal. I'd have tracked him down to set him straight but figured I'd be tasered, pepper-sprayed or clubbed for my trouble .

Cheers, Ted

scootz - 13/12/10 at 05:36 PM

That pretty much sums it up Ted!

Ninehigh - 13/12/10 at 06:30 PM

Iirc cycling like that here is illegal too but I think it's a case of the damage done when the faster/heavier traveller hits the slower one.

Car hits bike = damage to bike + rider
Bike hits pedestrian = scuffed elbows

Well, something to that effect