Board logo

any electricians, help needed
angliamotorsport - 1/1/11 at 11:43 AM

Came home yesterday , had left some lights on but went to turn on lights in another room and they popped. Checked circuit breakers but none have tripped. Changed bulbs, etc but still no lights, anybody have suggestions how to fix this please.
I'm alive at the moment but no doubt will start "getting it" it soon from you know who.

Happy new year to one and all.

MakeEverything - 1/1/11 at 11:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by angliamotorsport
Came home yesterday , had left some lights on but went to turn on lights in another room and they popped. Checked circuit breakers but none have tripped. Changed bulbs, etc but still no lights, anybody have suggestions how to fix this please.
I'm alive at the moment but no doubt will start "getting it" it soon from you know who.

Happy new year to one and all.

Have you got dimmer switches? they fail sometimes if overloaded.

Also, do the other lights in the house work?

[Edited on 1-1-11 by MakeEverything]

JoelP - 1/1/11 at 11:47 AM

you're 100% sure they are all on? In that case, you either need an electrician, or a voltage detector - ideally two pole indicator, failing that a neon screwdriver.

angliamotorsport - 1/1/11 at 11:53 AM

Thanks guys, all other lights are on, no dimmer.

MakeEverything - 1/1/11 at 11:53 AM

Any photos of the light fitting or is it just a standard pendant?

angliamotorsport - 1/1/11 at 11:59 AM

Hi Richard,

The fittings are wall mounted "candle" type with bayonet fitting bulbs. They have in the past popped and tipped the breaker but this time the breaker has not tripped which makes me think it may be a fault at the consumer unit or perhaps a bad breaker.

MakeEverything - 1/1/11 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by angliamotorsport
Hi Richard,

The fittings are wall mounted "candle" type with bayonet fitting bulbs. They have in the past popped and tipped the breaker but this time the breaker has not tripped which makes me think it may be a fault at the consumer unit or perhaps a bad breaker.

When tungsten filament lamps blow, they sometimes cause the breaker to trip as a result of a short circuit. Its instantaneous and not dangerous.

Ive had dimmer switches fail (though they normally fail on rather than off), and lampholders as well. The brass pins have springs underneath them which sometimes fail. That would be my next port of call. If the breaker is on, then the other lights in the house should work (up or down whichever circuit it is). when breakers fail (i had one two weeks ago), they wont turn on normally. When i opened the one that failed on me, it had clearly just worn out and arc'ed itself to death.

[Edited on 1-1-11 by MakeEverything]

JoelP - 1/1/11 at 01:03 PM

id guess either the replacement bulb was also duff, or the fitting is broken. A visual should identify which, but the voltage detector would at least show if voltage was reaching the terminals at the fitting.

kj - 1/1/11 at 02:08 PM

Did you have any problems before when switching the lights on or off, like flikering if so it could be the switch.

Macbeast - 1/1/11 at 02:19 PM

Try switching the breaker off and back on. Sometimes they are tripped but it's not obvious.

[Edited on 1/1/11 by Macbeast]

daniel mason - 1/1/11 at 03:20 PM

the way to tackle this is. assuming you have a multimeter.
1; check voltage on load side of circuit breaker L-N + L-E. if no voltage then its a faulty breaker if yes go to step 2
2; check for voltage at the light switch, you need to remove the 2x 3.5mm back box screws. L-N + L-E. on both supply and load sides of switch. and make sure no wires have popped out of terminals
3; check voltage at the light fitting. if you have voltage at the lamp then its a faulty lamp.
you do need a multimeter as you need voltage between live and neutral to make it work.voltage indicators are not what you need.

angliamotorsport - 1/1/11 at 03:57 PM

Thanks guys for the great responses,

I am replying so have not been wiped out by the "boss".

She has gone of to play with her horse, so had some quiet time to sort this problem.

Had to spend some time working out which breaker handled the lighting circuit, having gone through all other options and found that the labelling on the consumer unit did not correspond with the appropriate breaker, It's an old house,
16 something or other, and still has the old type cosumer unit

The offending breaker has been replaced and all seems to be well, so will enjoy the rest of the holiday.

Thanks again

Rob