Board logo

changing 307 disc brakes
Aboardman - 22/7/07 at 04:14 PM

just tried to change the disc brakes on a peugeot 307 for my brother.

but the discs on the car looked like the main hub nut has to come off as well. but the replacement ones just sit over the hub flange,

does the hub nut have to come off, we tried tapping the discs after removing the 2 small torx bolts but still would not move.

cheers.

theconrodkid - 22/7/07 at 04:39 PM

prob rusted on,wd40 and a much bigger hammer

rusty nuts - 22/7/07 at 04:50 PM

If you think they are tight try a Mondeo

Peteff - 22/7/07 at 05:23 PM

We had to thrash some off the nephew's Calibra the other day, he thought he'd forgotten to undo a bolt somewhere. Hit the centre of the bell between the stud holes and don't be too shy with the hammer, you'll see it spring off when the rust breaks

[Edited on 22/7/07 by Peteff]

scottc - 22/7/07 at 06:28 PM

I saw in Car Mechanic someone cut through the disc on a mondeo with a hacksaw so he could remove it. Apparently at that garage its standard procedure.

mike.williams1 - 22/7/07 at 06:32 PM

remove caliper remove both torks then beat disc off.they are tight fit around hubs

DIY Si - 22/7/07 at 06:45 PM

If you're really stuck, a big chisel and hammer should do the trick!

rusty nuts - 22/7/07 at 06:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scottc
I saw in Car Mechanic someone cut through the disc on a mondeo with a hacksaw so he could remove it. Apparently at that garage its standard procedure.

Big hammer works for me, just hit braking surface towards center of car until it breaks off !!

Danozeman - 22/7/07 at 07:22 PM

quote:

If you think they are tight try a Mondeo

I have had good fun with these too. Grinder through one got it off.

Peugeots can be tight. Peciveer with a hammer and itl come off. A blunt chisel round next to the hub usually loosens them off.

UncleFista - 22/7/07 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scottc

To change the disks on my Mondeo I had to beat them with a selection of hammers in ascending order of weight until the disks broke off the "bell" (supposed to be one piece) then cut the bells from the hub using an angle grinder and cold chisel.

Crap job, and me ears were ringing 'til the day after !