Board logo

OT: Nikon D40 opinions
rayward - 3/5/08 at 01:21 PM

Looking to replace my 35mm SLR with a digital SLR, but don;t want to spend a fortune.

been looking at the Nikon D40, anyone got one?, Good/Bad etc?

any other modesl with similar spec/price i should be looking at?.

cheers
Ray

Hammerhead - 3/5/08 at 01:29 PM

My father in law has got one and reckons it's very good. But he has just upgraded to the D80 which is semi pro level.

I would like to get one in the next few months and I think that the D40 is currently the strongest contender. Although there is a rumor of a new model which is better about to be released.

Jon Hazan - 3/5/08 at 01:44 PM

Ive got the D40x and found it to be really good. Altho i believe that Nikon have just brought out the D60 which may be worth looking at.

viatron - 3/5/08 at 02:22 PM

bought this for my missus for christmas, been very good so far, an excellent entry level digital slr i reckon. Not as many megapixels as others but i think that concentrating on megapixels alone is a bit of a red herring
HTH

ch1ll1 - 3/5/08 at 03:07 PM

got the wife one,
she says it great,
same as above, not so many pixels
but still a good camera,
just took it to africa, works great in the heat ! ( not all cams like the heat !)
took over 200 pic, and still loads of battery life left,
easy to use, wife says 9/10
hope that helps

paul

lotustwincam - 3/5/08 at 04:32 PM

REVIEW

andybod - 3/5/08 at 04:39 PM

i've just upgraded from a canon 300d to a nikon d80 canon was a very good capable camera but can really tell the difference with the nikon if you can afford to spend a bit extra look at the d80 or a canon 400d if your budget is set then a d40 or canon350d are both very capable cameras

rayward - 3/5/08 at 08:44 PM

Thanks fellas,

just ordered one

cheers
Ray