Board logo

Dam my car zetec and bike carbs.
Danozeman - 15/2/09 at 04:05 PM

Right this ongoing rpoblem is getting right on my tits.

1.8 zetec zx9rb carbs and megajolt.

Right iv got it revving ok when standing. When i drive it its ok up to 2k then between that and 4k is crap. if i really ease it past 4k it revs ok up to 5.5k then drops off. If i boot or drive eagerly it it boggs down like anything at 2.5 to 3k and will actually die if i keep it trying to pull. So much so it is undriveable and the smell of petrol is bad.

Plugs are greyish brownish. Not black as you would expect if its running rich.

Now iv cleaned the carbs sealed the diaphragms etc. Changed the fuel pump. Pressure is 2.2psi. Carbs balanced. Rewired the ignition system and checked the timing. All is well. Still it is an arse!!
The fuel its going through is unbelievable.

Any ideas?

What bikes have carbs that arnt cv's?

I would take it to Boggs to sort out but they are too far away, so if anyone knows anywhere in suffolk or surrounding where i can take it.....

maskedavenger - 15/2/09 at 04:23 PM

i have two zetecs running bike carbs and megajolt one blackbird set and one r6 set they both have a air hole inline with the needle blancked off bogg brothers did the blackbird set and i did the r6 set otherwise they did the exact same thing you are describeing its got somthing to do with leaning bike engines off high up the rev range

Danozeman - 15/2/09 at 04:36 PM

They have that done.

maskedavenger - 15/2/09 at 04:46 PM

what size mains have you got

Danozeman - 15/2/09 at 04:49 PM

155's.

maskedavenger - 15/2/09 at 04:56 PM

thats dosnt seem a million miles away ive a 1.8 with 165 mains and the 2.0 with blackbird carbs has 170 mains

flibble - 15/2/09 at 05:10 PM

I've never used him but have often heard good things about Peter Baldwin at Wilshers Garage in Wimpole (next to Cambridge), apparantly a wizard at setting up Crossflows on his rolling road, Zetecs arn't so different, might be worth a look perhaps.
Kev
Edit: http://www.wilshers-garages.com/

[Edited on 15/2/09 by flibble]

mr henderson - 15/2/09 at 05:13 PM

Any rolling road is better than none, whether or not the operator has experience of your particular set up.

He will be able to see if the timing or mixture is wrong, and that's what you need to know

John

splitrivet - 15/2/09 at 05:43 PM

Not valves is it, seems youve tried everything else. I had a similar problem with a Pinto & webers it was a sticking valve, try a compression test sometimes you can be blinded by the obvious.
Cheers,
Bob

rusty nuts - 15/2/09 at 06:09 PM

I have used Peter Baldwin in the past , he set up my x flow when it was on carb and clockwork ignition. Found another 10 BHP and 1000 more usable RPM . Don't know if he would be interested in megajolt and bike carbs but worth a phone call

jacko - 15/2/09 at 06:16 PM

What have you done with the choke?
its not flopping about is it ?
What ignition are you using ?
dizzy or mega-spark

Danozeman - 15/2/09 at 06:57 PM

I have megajolt, the choke is connected to the sierra bonnet pull so doesnt move anywhere.

jacko - 15/2/09 at 09:25 PM

Can you post a full list of your set up please IE
main jet size
how the needle is set
air holes blocked
air screws set
etc etc
Graham

Danozeman - 15/2/09 at 09:57 PM

Errrm
Air screws 1.5 turns out
standard non adjustable needles but iv tried slightly longer non adjustable needles which made it worse.
155 mains
air holes blocked inline with needles
38 pilots
zx9rb carbs.

[Edited on 15/2/09 by Danozeman]

[Edited on 15/2/09 by Danozeman]

David Jenkins - 15/2/09 at 10:13 PM

Have you fitted a lambda sensor boss into your exhaust system yet?

Just a thought...

Danozeman - 16/2/09 at 08:13 AM

Not yet mate no. Im working on it.

rusty nuts - 16/2/09 at 06:44 PM

Have you checked that the timing is actually advancing when the engine speed rises? Sounds a bit like retarded ignition timing.

jacko - 16/2/09 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Have you checked that the timing is actually advancing when the engine speed rises? Sounds a bit like retarded ignition timing.

Hi i have read all your posts about the carbs and am not convinced it the carbs
i know 5 people that are using zx9r carbs + my self and all have run OK with out modification /but run better after a rolling road session
If you are convinced it's the carbs give Bogg Brothers a ring i am sure they will know what is wrong with them

By the way the first thing Bogg's did to my car was make sure the ignition was right and advancing
Jacko