Board logo

best place to go for diff rebuilt
antonio - 21/12/09 at 07:16 PM

hi
i'm looking for someone capable of putting my new LSD in my diff.that may sound crazy but no one here in france to help.i tried to do it by myself, but i can't unscrew the two bearings (if you understand what i try to say!)
if someone can advise me a good place to go (in kent would be good!) or if someone here is able to do it for good money, i would be very happy.
best regards, merry Xmas
antonio

prawnabie - 21/12/09 at 07:18 PM

procomp are good

Coopz - 21/12/09 at 07:25 PM

Phil at Road and Race did my diff fantastic guy and great service turned it around in a day! Looked brand new I believe he rebuild most of Caterham's too!

Road & Race Transmissions
The Bullock Shed
Filston Farm
Shoreham, Kent ( In kent too)
TN14 5JU

tel: 01959 525105
mobile: 07836 333882

Project7 - 21/12/09 at 09:35 PM

Yup, I can reccommend Phil at Road and Race too.

Steve Hignett - 21/12/09 at 09:39 PM

As above, road & race

Willie - 21/12/09 at 10:24 PM

Antonio, (Class name by the way)

I assume you're talking about a Sierra diff, and by unscrew the bearings you mean the big castellated nuts on the sides that contain the bearings?

These:

Get the diff into a vice and if you can get a bit of heavy flat bar that's just thin enough to fit between the teeth, and long enough for stacks of leverage, you should be able to get them shifted. Here's what I use:

If that's still difficult, soak around the edge of the nut with WD40 and let it sit overnight.

I fitted my own LSD and intend to do some rebuilding soon, as I'm tranferring my LSD into a different ratio diff. If you take your time, its actually quite easy. I advise measuring the backlash before you dismantle the side nuts, so you know how far in to mesh the crownwheel on re-assembly.

Hope this helps,

Willie

mark chandler - 21/12/09 at 11:24 PM

As above, but for a little extra help use a blow torch to heat the surround, do not get really hot as there is a rubber seal but it helps to get started. Once they move they come out easily enough.

Regards Mark

antonio - 22/12/09 at 07:37 AM

cheers for your answers guys!
i didn't try to loosen the big castellated nuts because i suspected them to brake if i don't use the right tool.
i'll try this week end
many thanks
antonio

Mopple - 22/12/09 at 10:36 AM

For assurance you could weld extra pieces of flat far perpendicularly to distribute the load more evenly.

Willie - 22/12/09 at 05:33 PM

They shouldn't be too tight as you set them like you set a wheel bearing, wind in until there is no more play in the crownwheel. I can't mind if you then wind on a few teeth preload or not.

Any I've played with, so far, have been easy enough to shift.

Willie