Board logo

Type 9 Gearbox Removal
tigerzetec - 2/3/10 at 09:10 AM

Hi, Can anybody tell me if its possible to remove & refit the Gearbox on a Tiger Cat without removing the engine with it. I can't get under my car to look at the moment, so thought it might be quicker to ask. Thanks.

Humbug - 2/3/10 at 10:38 AM

I guess it will depend how much slip there is where the prop joins the box (I mean how much the prop can slide in and out of the back of the box) - if there's not enough to be able to pull the box back and pull out the front bit out the back of the engine, then you might have to unbolt the diff.

You may be able to make more room by holding the engine with a hoist, undoing the mounts and sliding it forward a little? That way, you would not have to disconnet all the pipes. etc.

stuart_g - 2/3/10 at 10:39 AM

I doubt you'd be able to remove the gearbox without removing the engine.
You have to remove the prop shaft which slides into the gearbox although you may be able to do this by removing it from the diff flange first and then sliding it backwards but then theres the input shaft from the gearbox that goes through the clutch. You would then have to move the gearbox back to disengage this which I doubt you have room to do as the bell housing is normally close to the tunnel sides.

omega 24 v6 - 2/3/10 at 12:36 PM

It MAY be possible BUT only if your gearbox cross member is removeable.

tigerzetec - 2/3/10 at 01:41 PM

Ok Guys, thanks for the replies. I did wonder.......... I have a bit of clutch judder, which i think might be either the crankshaft seal or the input shaft seal on the box leaking oil and contaminating the clutch. That might make it more difficult for sort out now, as don't think i have space in the garage for the engine / gearbox and the car at the same time.

boggle - 2/3/10 at 01:43 PM

does your floor go under the tunnell??

tigerzetec - 2/3/10 at 01:59 PM

no

AndyGT - 2/3/10 at 03:20 PM

Is it not possible to have car on axle stands and have a jack under the engine, then remove the engine mounts and drop the engine a few inches to then give enough room to slide the box out?

No idea if its possible but just thinking of options for you...

If not, worst possible scenario is that you have to raise the engine and put back the mounts!!

tigerzetec - 2/3/10 at 03:50 PM

I will look into all of your suggestions and see if it is possible to use any of them, as i really would prefer to just drop the box off. A friend of mine owns a garage, and it might be possible for me to do it there, which would make the job easier with the car being on a ramp and having all the tools i need. Although i would have to get it sorted in a day, i couldn't leave it there. Thanks again for all your help and any more suggestions that may be added later.