Board logo

rotary engine
rob126 - 14/9/06 at 09:15 AM

what do you think about a rotary engined kit car??
am planning this but still not sure if it will work out

joneh - 14/9/06 at 09:17 AM

A few people have used rx-7 donors. One of thems bound to post shortly.....

Volvorsport - 14/9/06 at 09:19 AM

yes please , ill have a twin turbo version , with a single HUGE garrett

the NA one like a 13b pull to 8000 rpm - just ignore the buzzer .

the RX7 twin turbo used all the companies experience in racing to provide a reliable engine - and morphed into the RX8 .

still 100k and your looking at a rebuild .

rob126 - 14/9/06 at 09:27 AM

any idea about approximate performance figures with this engine in the kit car?
0-60? 1/4mile? etc...

Volvorsport - 14/9/06 at 09:49 AM

theres no reason , if the weight is low enough , to have a sub 5 sec 0-60 , depending on which engine you have .

11, or 12 sec qtr would be possible .

vorn - 14/9/06 at 10:18 AM

I looked into a 12a but didnt go that way because the eccentric shaft is in the middle of the motor and would of made mounting the motor hard , would have to have the motor very low in the car .

NS Dev - 14/9/06 at 11:53 AM

great engine as far as I know.

Big plus is it weighs nothing, big drawback is frequent rebuilds, but then they are simple to do. The engine is simpler to strip and put back together than a piston engine, but the seals are quite pricey.

know of a chap running one (12a non turbo) in a grasstrack special in the Evesham club that will completely thrash the V8 cars on a good day.

Think he runs a single weber 50 dcoe on it.

Also know of a twin turbo "turbo2" motor running in a mid engined metro that is awesome.

froggy - 14/9/06 at 12:23 PM

rx8,s are coming in with tip wear problems at 50-60k now so the old problems are still there but the turbo imports ive driven are a serious piece of kit

iank - 14/9/06 at 12:33 PM

You need to make sure your cooling is top notch they need plenty and really don't like being cooked.

Arthur Dent - 14/9/06 at 04:19 PM

Exaust heat and noise are the biggest issues. Followed by cooling.

chockymonster - 14/9/06 at 06:34 PM

and don't forget they use oil as a consumable!

rob126 - 14/9/06 at 07:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Arthur Dent

y is noise an issue? we dont have MOT ever here. its just VRT... exhaust can be as load as u want...

rob126 - 14/9/06 at 07:07 PM

so on the whole if the engine is rebuilt before it is put in, it has enough cooling, and is serviced regularly... it should be ok!

you think i can carry on with plans??? (engine im considering is the 13B found in the late rx7)

Jon Ison - 14/9/06 at 09:31 PM

This as to be the perfect locost donor, was on my list of possibles, discounted it now so share the link.

Arthur Dent - 15/9/06 at 02:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rob126
quote:
Originally posted by Arthur Dent

y is noise an issue? we dont have MOT ever here. its just VRT... exhaust can be as load as u want...

Ever hear a rotary without a muffler? Probably 2x as noisy as a piston motor. You really need super high quality exhaust system which causes packaging issues with a Seven.

leto - 15/9/06 at 07:27 AM

Link to Locost Sweden's gallery. Wish there were sound too

mad4x4 - 15/9/06 at 12:39 PM

We had a guy up here looked at doing in Scotland. The lads gave up though lost intrest

Shame would hae been a quick car.

Warning a 13b can drink fuel !!

rob126 - 15/9/06 at 05:49 PM

i can imagine that it drinks alot of fuel. car will only be used maximum once a week in summer. so wont be that much of a problem.

u know any approx performance figures of a rotary kitcar from that guy up in scotland?