Board logo

Type 9 gear set upgrade
mr T - 2/2/08 at 11:40 AM

Thinking of upgradeing a type 9 gear box with a quaife clubman gear set or a bgh 2.8 long first gear . Both sets cost approx £700 is it a good upgrade and is it worth the money any help please.

turbodisplay - 2/2/08 at 11:44 AM

They are ment to be good for 275hp.
One cheap upgrade is to change the top cover with a sturdy piece of alloy to sto the case from flexing. It will add a bit to the hp rating as the gear teeth remain in better contact.

Darren

SeaBass - 2/2/08 at 12:06 PM

The top cover locates one part of the selector mechanism. How do you overcome this issue with a piece of alloy?

Thanks

turbodisplay - 2/2/08 at 12:12 PM

The maincase cover is pressed steel, as such is weak.
Not the tailcase.

£61 from deamon tweaks

Darren

[Edited on 2/2/08 by turbodisplay]

mookaloid - 2/2/08 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
The top cover locates one part of the selector mechanism. How do you overcome this issue with a piece of alloy?

Thanks

I believe quaife make a top cover which presumably takes this into account.

Cheers

Mark

SeaBass - 2/2/08 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
The maincase cover is pressed steel, as such is weak.
Not the tailcase.

£61 from deamon tweaks

Darren

[Edited on 2/2/08 by turbodisplay]

Have you ever taken a type 9 apart??

I know the maincase cover is pressed steel - as I said it has welded onto the underside of it a component that locates part of the selector mechanism...

NS Dev - 2/2/08 at 01:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
They are ment to be good for 275hp.
One cheap upgrade is to change the top cover with a sturdy piece of alloy to sto the case from flexing. It will add a bit to the hp rating as the gear teeth remain in better contact.

Darren

No they are not rated to 275hp, that's the HD kit not the clubman one, and the HD one is a lot more money as it replaces the mainshaft which is a very expensive item!

j30fos - 2/2/08 at 04:33 PM

Mines a BGH E7 and its just cost me £970 its rated to 280 it will just cope with the saab lump

procomp - 2/2/08 at 08:54 PM

Hi if running over 250 HP you will need to move up to a Quafie / TRANX straitcut box rather than a BGH with helical gears if wanting reliability aswell.

Cheers Matt