Board logo

XE crank bolt torque
triumphdave - 16/3/08 at 03:24 PM

Is it really 185llb/ft +45deg,or is that a printing mistake,my torque wrench only goes upto 150llb,and I have just wrung the square off my 1/2to3/8 socket adapter (chrome vanadium lifetime guarantee)and nearly pulled the car of the axle stands.

twybrow - 16/3/08 at 03:26 PM

They are notoriously highly torqued. I think you will need a major impact wrench to stand a fighting chance. You might be able to budge it with a scaffold pole, but I would think and socket would break!

Richard Quinn - 16/3/08 at 03:30 PM

I can't recall the actual figure but it was FT! I take it you are putting it on if you are worried about the actual torque figure. I ended up taking mine to a garage to get it torqued up properly.

triumphdave - 16/3/08 at 03:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
I can't recall the actual figure but it was FT! I take it you are putting it on if you are worried about the actual torque figure. I ended up taking mine to a garage to get it torqued up properly.

Yes thats right,it was put in when the engine was built but never torqued up,can see why now I wouldnt fancy trying to do it up on the bench.

TOO BADD - 16/3/08 at 03:35 PM

as per sbd torque figures plus graphite head and oil thread

MkIndy7 - 16/3/08 at 05:22 PM

Yup it sure as hell is right!

I had to buy a 1/2" E20 socket espescially to get mine off, and even then the scaffolding pole was the only way... None of my mates air wrenches were upto it and he runs a Landrover garage!.

cidersurfer - 16/3/08 at 08:08 PM

My Haynes says 96lbft plus 40 to 50 degrees...
It's easy with a 4 ft scaffold pole, did it today...

[Edited on 16/3/08 by cidersurfer]

chriscook - 17/3/08 at 08:19 AM

Also easy with a 750Nm torque wrench wound right up.

NS Dev - 17/3/08 at 10:47 PM

250NM and 50 degrees if you can get it...............

On the last one I did I had the engine solid mounted in a spaceframe, and I have made a tool which bolts to the 6 bolts on the front crank pulley and has a 4 foot long handle. I locked this against the frame and could still only get 35 degrees on the bolt with a 5 foot bar on my breaker bar tightening it up.

[Edited on 17/3/08 by NS Dev]