Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ignorance about kit cars...
afj

posted on 6/3/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
mines only been on the road a few weeks but so far.. my mum cried and gave me a hug when she saw the no. plates on as she seemed to think i was the first person to ever build at car at home various mates with 'fast cars' have tried to take me on but failed inc mitsubish gto, brothers fiesta st, neibours focus st, and a mates bmw 335d - all totally shocked at how fast to 100 it is
but what realy upsets people is when you tell them comp insurance is £180

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

slimtater

posted on 6/3/09 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have had nothing but positive comments - people wanting to look in it, at it, hear it, know about it! The one that gets them most are the badges.
Meeerrrk

posted on 6/3/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
My mam was convinced I was building a boat and that it would never be a car and at work when I told them they were telling me how you can't have a car without a roof or windscreen and that I was talking crap about the whole thing. When I showed them a picture one lad said "ohhh it's like Brum!" So instantly its a kids thing and won't shift for toffee.
I just leave them to it, carry on!

ah yes, the brum comment! it isnt just me then! the girls at work always go "meep meep, wheres brum today". im going to take one of them out in it this summer; that should shut them up

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

greggors84

posted on 6/3/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Most of my non mechanical mates love it. They thinks its brilliant ive managed to build my own car and put it on the road. Even more so when I take them for a ride. 2 lads at work have been building for ages so they are jealous mine is on the road and the rest are just waiting to get a ride in it but they understand the whole power to weight thing making single seaters as light as possible all day long.

Girls are a different issue. When I used to show them a picture after giving up explaining they used to say "ahh, just like brum!".

Now if they ever ask about cars I never get to the kit car as they cant stop laughing after I tell them I drive a Skoda.

"But they make good cars these days!!"

Luckily most lads recognise the vRS badges!

[Edited on 6/3/2009 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

A1

posted on 6/3/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
the most ignorant thing ive had was 'oh...samco hoses...' from the insurance ''engineer''
as for how fast it is, my dads sure it wont keep up with his fq340, although the other night on the bypass he wasnt getting away
most people cant believe its road legal...

Antnicuk

posted on 6/3/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
i've not had mine on the road much, waste of road tax in this weather, but at track days people generally ask 3 question
1"what is it?"
2 "whats in it?"
3 "fast isnt it!"

600 BHP per ton, Stylus Brought back from the dead! Turbo Rotary Powered!

coozer

posted on 6/3/09 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I had loads of ribbing about 'how long it was taking' while was building..

Then pictures of it just before SVA.. 'hey, its Brum!'

Now cause I've crashed it, its a supermarket trolley.

Questions about which car it's as fast of? Maybe Porches turbo time to 60??

The laughter.... if only they knew, one day I'll get the nuggets out in it and show them how far you leave the rest behind at the lights

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RK

posted on 7/3/09 at 01:48 AM Reply With Quote
I never talk about it anymore. I'll just show them when the time comes
dogwood

posted on 7/3/09 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I've not had any bad comments, except from a couple of "chavs" last week...

My best is the old dear across the road from me.
She has watched me building it all last year., and came across at every oppotunity to see how I was getting on.

She says " Make sure when it's finished, I get a ride in it"
And I think she means it..

Trouble is I may have to lift her into it. I doubt she could get in on her own...
Bless her....Thinks she is still 16..

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

David Jenkins

posted on 7/3/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dogwood

Trouble is I may have to lift her into it. I doubt she could get in on her own...

Getting in is not the problem... getting her OUT could be tricky!

DIY Si

posted on 7/3/09 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I rarely have negative comments about my car. Most young folk seem too shy to come up and actually ask about it, although they are quite happy to stand and watch/listen. Older folk, especially at Tesco, are more than happy to wander over and ask about it, ask to see under the bonnet and so on. Even the Polish car wash guys seem interested. They have never once asked to wash it, but they always ask if they can stand next to it and have their picture taken. I've also had the old dear across the way come out and tell me how brilliant it is that I have a 7, and that she'd not seen one in ages! Also had a few local housewives come out and ask if it has a bike engine in it, as their husbands have told them not to be so silly, you can't have a bike engine in a car!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Simon

posted on 7/3/09 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Had a couple of chavvie types giving sign language.

I just smiled as

1. I was in a car I'd built and
2. They were walking

Some old git tried giving me directions to Brands when I pulled into a petrol station a coule of years ago. Duuhhhh, do you not think that having built a car I might; a) be interested in car and b) not know where the nearest motor racing circuit was - like 20 minutes away.

ATB

Simon

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.