Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Swaddling babies
Agriv8

posted on 17/6/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
we used grow bags for our's, but everythings a phase our 2 year old currently been woken by the dawn chours at 4:30 / 5 am and needs to be made to lie back down under his blanket and go back to sleep.

When we did the NCT course ( which i would recomend to anyone ) swadling was ok ps mate mum a retired midwife of 40 some years gave it the OK,
from memory other tips where
mums smelly t-shirt,
good routine,
whatching what mum ate ( if on the boob)
if they are snotty use one of the vaporisers.

PS WTF did nearly 2 years go it seems like last week I was walking up and down stairs burping him.

ATB

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

matt_claydon

posted on 17/6/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Growbags? Sounds a bit messy if you ask me...

DavidW

posted on 17/6/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
When we had our first a couple years ago the midwife showed us how to swaddle with a blanket in such a way he couldn't get free. He only used to sleep like this too.

I always struggled to replicate the professional swaddling technique but it definitely works.

carpmart

posted on 17/6/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
My daughter is 19 now but when she was a baby (late 80's), the advice was to swaddle and plant them face down in the cot. Oh how times seem to have changed!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

DarrenW

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I would just say that you are lucky to have a healthy baby. They are all different. Personally id say if hes happiest being wrapped up and sleeps better then carry on. We also used the sleeping bag type bed clothes with good effect, but that was more cos mine kept pushing traditional blankets off and we didnt want them to get cold in the night - worth a try for what they cost. A few unsettled nights are probs to be expected when something changes. However being so young i cant help thinking swaddling is no bad thing at this stage.

Best advice i was given, as said already, was dont be too keen to run to babies when they make any noises. Its hard at first but you soon learn what an attention seeking cry is as opposed to a full on distress signal.

We have always been lucky ref sleeping patterns. Ours have always slept through as long as they were fed well before hand. My wife breast fed both of ours for first few months. The reason we had some (but not many) restless nights was when they werent full. We found topping up with a bottle feed just before bed worked wonders.

Babies only seem to cry for good reason when hungry or need feeding. Get that cracked and get them into an early bed routine (i dont mean bed by 6pm, more of a routine when they are young) and they seem to settle much quicker.

martyn_16v

posted on 18/6/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
In case you hadn't got the hint already, grobags ftw!

My boy was a bit premature so went into neonatal intensive care for a while. All the nurses there swaddled the babies, although in the labour ward they were advising against it. Go figure...

Is your son in a moses basket? If so, as matt says you can roll up a couple of blankets and kind of wedge him in, it worked for us

JoelP

posted on 18/6/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
he's in his own room in a cot. Fast asleep again! I think i'll just swaddle til he decides otherwise (or moves out )

I was just puzzled because an 'official' site suggested you should only swaddle for a few weeks.

Cheers all!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 18/6/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G
Bungy ropes - thats the answer!! Ratchet straps if that doesnt work.

Duct tape is cheaper

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.