Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vag tdi - very low water temp . Help and pointers needed
Kriss

posted on 31/1/11 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
All,

I have fitted a new Euro Car Parts thermostat 4 weeks ago and a water temp sender from GSF about 8/9 months back.

My car will (after a fair few miles in this cold weather) hit the middle fo the gauge 90 degrees, however after a while it will drop (quite rapidly) to 60 or 70 degrees. Then it might decide to shoot back up, stay the same or climb and fluctuate around.

I am worried I have a mega mega serious issue such as water pump, but convinced that surely that would cause HOT temperature readings, not drops!

It is not moving a smidge over the 90 degrees either (which is good)

These issues are happening regardless of speed, from doing 80 mph on the M23, to stuck in a traffic jam.

I spoke to GSF who are sending me a second temp sender which is great, didnt even ask lol.

I did loose a lot of water doing the stat, but replaced, perhaps I need further work on burping the water, but I used the bleed hole and 1500 miles later there is no drop in coolant.

Hmmmm?

tony-devon

posted on 31/1/11 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
my golf does exactly the same, and threads on the mk4 owners club forums all agree, the TDi just doesnt heat up fully, or that fast

my fuel economy suffers in the winter

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 31/1/11 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Quite recently I have heard a couple reports of similar problems occurring after changing thermostats one of which was on a petrol Astra, this makes me think perhaps there iffy thermostats hitting the market, which wouldn't be surprising as substandard car parts are wide spread. I recently had to change a wishbone because the ball joint was completely worn out after a years use.

Another thing that may help increase the running temperature is to increase the antifreeze concentration in the coiling system to about 60 to 66%

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Kriss

posted on 31/1/11 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
the rate at which it drops is rapid - alomst as quick as how your dials drop down when you turn the engine off - quick!

stats was £10er.

Kinda need to know if thats work that fast etc to have much of a effect.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.