Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost household budgetting ideas
scootz

posted on 1/3/11 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Get rid of the washer, dryer and iron and simply take your clothes to OXfam. Buy them back next day when they have been laundered.

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 1/3/11 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
We went for recessed spots all through the house during the recent re-build... 58 of them! They look nice and neat, but they are hungry little buggers.

We've tried an LED, but the 'white' light bugs us.

The top-end ones are good, but at a tenner-a-pop, they are too expensive. I guess the price will come down soon enough.

It's Evolution Baby!

Fozzie

posted on 1/3/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
And there was me getting hopeful about the LEDs .....

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

scootz

posted on 1/3/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
How was Race Retro Fozz?

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 1/3/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
You can get led bulbs with a bayonet cap? The only ones I've seen claim to be the equivalent to a standard 40w bulb (cracking for the living room!)

Fozzie

posted on 1/3/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
How was Race Retro Fozz?

I have uploaded some pics into my archive..in folder 'Race Retro 2011'....
I wont hijack Nicks thread here but will do one......I've been a bit cream crackered tbh.....
it was my first proper day out since me op......hence my lateness of a write up.

All I will say at the moment is.....It was Brill.....

coozer

posted on 1/3/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I use super dry wood on my logburner, I find it lying around outside factory's on industrial estates. Cost = 0

I do chuck a few lumps of Beamish Brite on. This slows down the wood and gives off more heat. 6 lumps keep going all night keeping the lounge very toasty then a few bits of wood in the morning and off she goes!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

David Jenkins

posted on 1/3/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Me and the missus went out this evening so used the central heating for a while, instead of lighting the log burner... we decided that we REALLY prefer the log burner! It's just a 'cosy' warmth...

Ninehigh

posted on 2/3/11 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Never used the site but these might be a great idea if you're not going to any lengths to rewire your lighting

Fozzie

posted on 2/3/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Ooooo thanks for that link! .....now bookmarked!

They are a 'price' though...still, worth getting 1 or 2 and seeing if it helps the migraine problem......
If they don't 'work' I can always pass them on to the parents, so it wont be a waste of dosh!

Fozzie

tegwin

posted on 2/3/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Never used the site but these might be a great idea if you're not going to any lengths to rewire your lighting

Christ.. they are expensive..

get on ebay and buy direct from hongchina.... or wherever they come from...

Although I did order 20 from one seller and he decided to send them all individually packaged... was like a damn swarm of little white boxes, turned up in dribs and drabs... lost count of how many "missed you" cards the poor posty left...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

blakep82

posted on 2/3/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
why does the thought of 'chunky soup' give me the boak?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ninehigh

posted on 3/3/11 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

Christ.. they are expensive..

get on ebay and buy direct from hongchina.... or wherever they come from...

They don't appear to be that expensive really

Rallye_Mark

posted on 4/3/11 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
I'd love a wood burning stove in my flat, but on the farm we have one an I reckon we would go through about 1 ton of wood a month, perhaps a little more if its on 24hrs a day like during the hard winter just there. But costs little to run as I go out with the trusty Husqvarna XP, chop about 2 ton of wood, take it back to the farm and start chopping with the large axe and maul. One weekends work keeps us going for a couple of months and is a lovely heat that comes out it.

It takes a while to get used to getting the most out of a wood burning stove, but these days I can stoke it up at night before bed, fully close off all the valves and let it smoulder until the morning when I get up, put in some dry wood and open the lower valves and away it goes again

In my flat I keep the heating right down, electric storage heaters, grrrrr. But I'm used to the cold coming from an island on the West coast of Scotland

I got rid of my gas guzzling Golf VR6 which was expensive to run, keep on the road, and insure, for example 30mpg, £210 a year to TAX and about £500 fully comp. Sold that and bought a little Seat Arosa 1.4 TDI Sport, awesome little car for travelling home, average 60mpg, very quick, £35 a year TAX and a lot less to insure.

I cook all my own food in batches to keep costs down, however due to the nature of my job I cannot make lunches any more as I sometimes travel for a week, so sadly there is a slight loss there, but I get my dinner and breakfast paid for by the company so there is a saving

I also don't drink, very very occasionally will I go out to the pub, so when a lot of lads are spending £30-£40 per night at the weekend that's staying in my pocket.

Jasper

posted on 4/3/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
I spoke to my specilist bulbs supplier yesterday (he supplies bulbs to shops and offices) about swapping my halogen for LEDs in my shop and home. He reckoned the technology wasn't there yet, still too expensive and not good enough light output to warrant swapping them out yet - he said wait another year .......

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Fozzie

posted on 4/3/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
I spoke to my specilist bulbs supplier yesterday (he supplies bulbs to shops and offices) about swapping my halogen for LEDs in my shop and home. He reckoned the technology wasn't there yet, still too expensive and not good enough light output to warrant swapping them out yet - he said wait another year .......

Yep......I concur

I/we looked into this for the workshop as we have no natural light and the fluorescents are just too 'painful' for moi ...
The manufacturers have some way to go for industrial/commercial use, yet alone domestic.

I think I will order a couple of those expensive bulbs in the link though for the home office just to see ....although for energy saving
it will be impossible to tell......

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.