Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Steel Size
flak monkey

posted on 10/6/06 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, but i converted them to Kg for the purposes of this. By all means carry out the calcs for yourself. It doesnt matter anyway, just multiply thenumbers by 9.81 if you want them in N...

People identify more easily with N than Kg, well most probably do anyway, hence i just converted the loads, sorry if this upsets the engineer/physicist in you

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

gjs

posted on 10/6/06 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
How thin could you go on tubing if you use 4130 cr-mo,for chassis.I not not locost but it would be pretty light
violentblue

posted on 11/6/06 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
so a chassis built from 35mm 16ga steel tube would be plenty strong and stiff enough for street/limited track use?

I've been thinking 25mm may work but looks a little small (I ususally way overbuild things)

so what is the final results of all the debate between everyone with more education than me?

which size and thickness of tube is the best balance of safety and weight.

[Edited on 11/6/06 by violentblue]

a few pics of my other projects

crbrlfrost

posted on 12/6/06 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
In terms of strength, you may be able to get away with slightly thinner 4130, but then you have to start looking at the lengths of the spans and oil canning (flexing and collapsing of the wall). On the other hand, the modulus of 4130 is really no better than mild steel, so your stiffness (what we all basically strive for) will go to pot. Actually, with the exception of extreme loads, I don't understand peoples fixation on 4130 as a chassis material. There's the welding issues, the heat treating issues, the cost, etc, with no appreciable increase in stiffness. For a rollbar and its mounting yes, but thats because by themselves they can be heat treated post weld. Oh well, perhaps I'm wrong, and I'm rambling. Cheers!
Avoneer

posted on 12/6/06 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
25mm x 16G.

That's what 99.9% of us use without any problems.

Why over-complicate things and pay more?

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.