Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "Let's Test The Water"
Sonic7

posted on 11/11/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
"Let's Test The Water"

“LETS TEST THE WATER” - I've been out of the kit car market for some 20 years, and now having overcome the time consuming task and considerable expense of raising children I find myself with the time and money to once again indulge my passion in building kit cars. I have long been an advocate of Colin Chapman's - Lotus 7 and have both owned and built several of its kit car derivatives in my youth. It is with this history in mind that on my return to the market I was astounded to find that not that much had changed and that manufactures were still offering to market similar looking derivatives based on old technology donor cars. 25 years ago I can remember the kit car industry being in the forefront of automotive technology, introducing fibreglass mono cock chassis while mainstream producers had only just left the security of ladder chassis. With this in mind I set out to find something new, innovative and fresh looking but easy and cheep to build.

To cut a long story short I have decided to embark on building a MEV Sonic7 which I feel in many ways, is the modern day successor to the various 7 copy's on the market today. While I realise that this view maybe somewhat provocative, I am interested to 'test the water' and hear what other builders and kit car owners think of my choice.

DarrenW

posted on 11/11/08 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Bad choice. You should buy my car

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/785336.htm

TimC

posted on 11/11/08 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic7
25 years ago I can remember the kit car industry being in the forefront of automotive technology, introducing fibreglass mono cock chassis while mainstream producers had only just left the security of ladder chassis.

I am interested to 'test the water' and hear what other builders and kit car owners think of my choice.

25 years on, many of those early monocoque chassis have proved to be flimsy, expensive to repair and prone to damage. Hence while higher-end vehicles now utilise sophisticated composite technology the space-frame chassis is still a cost-effective basis for the kit-car industry, particularly for roadsters that don't require door openings.

As for your choice of car, I've only looked at one, but it does look the part!

Good luck.

[Edited on 11/11/08 by TimC]

dinosaurjuice

posted on 11/11/08 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
i chose a mev rocket last year for exactly the same reason.

You wont look back. MEV are a fantastic company to deal with and in my opinion real innovotors within the kitcar industry.

Look forward to seeing your progress, please post some pics as and when

ATB Will

[Edited on 11/11/08 by dinosaurjuice]

RK

posted on 11/11/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
But "cheap to build" is out the window now isn't it? It's all for the fun of it, but we shouldn't be kidding ourselves with the price of things. Second hand cars - even kit cars - are too cheap nowadays to ignore.
Humbug

posted on 11/11/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just looked at your site and the MEV gallery. I agree that the Sonic7 looks like a modern interpretation of the Seven without looking completely off the wall. Great to be able to use a complete FWD powertrain. Keep us posted.

Simon

big_wasa

posted on 11/11/08 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Looks nice, I would like to know how it handles with the weight over the back wheels.

cheers

Alan B

posted on 11/11/08 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Probably similar to an Elise or MR2 or Atom etc....all transverse mid-engined with around 40/60 WD
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jubal

posted on 11/11/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I like the look of these kits, both the rocket and the sonic. But it's hardly the cutting edge of development is it? They are both space framed. They both use loads of bits off a common road car. Just a mid engined take on the theme.

I'd like to see one at a track day sometime and see how it goes. Never seen one in the flesh except at a show.

dave1888

posted on 11/11/08 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I like the Sonic7 thought about one for my next project. Keep us posted
LBMEFM

posted on 11/11/08 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that the majority of kit car companies have greatly improved their products over the years, this is in part due to the SVA and customers wanting higher standards. But why are they still bringing out cars based on Sierra doners, these are getting in short supply, why not update to later models when they announce a new project?

[Edited on 11/11/08 by LBMEFM]

02GF74

posted on 12/11/08 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sonic7
25 years ago I can remember the kit car industry being in the forefront of automotive technology...

one word: computers and electronics.

Car manufacturer's have vast resource to do CAD as well as all sorts of lectronic trickery to control engine, ABS, etc.

The one or two man kit car maker just cannot compete plus kit cars need the simplicity for home assembly.

If you are looking to buy ready built, serioulsy think about DarrenW's MK - start the haggling at £ 4.5 k....

Sonic7

posted on 23/11/08 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
First of all I would like to thank all those that have responded. I must confess to having felt somewhat apprehensive when first making my post as I was unsure how the se7en community would react to my remarks. But I have been pleasantly surprised at how many se7en owners feel as I do that the product development has not really moved on as might have been expected all those years ago, and that it might just be time (putting to one side the recession) for the introduction of a version based on a modern day current production donor.

Anyway I've made my choice paid my money and started my build www.mevsonic7.co.uk as for the handling, when I get it built next year, although only a track novice, I will try and get to the track at Anglesey (North Wales).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.