Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 carb conversion
triumphdave

posted on 21/11/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
R1 carb conversion

Just made myself a new manifold for my R1 carbs.I have respaced them and made the the manifold more compact,but I am still having trouble with the position of the throttle cable.In its present position its going to stick through the bonnet again.I am curios as to how others have gotten around this.

[img] r1carbs
r1carbs
[/img]

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

jacko

posted on 21/11/08 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
On some bike carbs you can bring the throttle cable from under the carbs can you on the r1?
Can you turn the bracket over so it comes under the carbs?
Jacko

[Edited on 21/11/08 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mediabloke

posted on 21/11/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem with the R1 carbs on my Indy, to the point where it snagged when the bonnet was fitted.

I used a new cable & sleeve and a right-angle brake-cable guide - suspiciously like the ones on a mountain-bike...
I considered modifying the throttle arm / stop / cable entry point, but this seems to work pretty well.

Can post a pic if that would help?

[Edited on 21/11/08 by mediabloke]

locoR1

posted on 21/11/08 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem, Sorry haven't got any pictures but it can be done ill try and explain the best i can.

If you route the cable coming out between the two float bowls you will notice the two conveniently placed lugs either side on each float bowl, drill and tap into these and make a suitable bracket between the two with a hole in it for the cable adjuster to go through as simple as that!

Or at least that's how i remember it was a few years ago when i did mine, hope that helps!

Dave............

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

triumphdave

posted on 22/11/08 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mediabloke
I had the same problem with the R1 carbs on my Indy, to the point where it snagged when the bonnet was fitted.

I used a new cable & sleeve and a right-angle brake-cable guide - suspiciously like the ones on a mountain-bike...
I considered modifying the throttle arm / stop / cable entry point, but this seems to work pretty well.

Can post a pic if that would help?

[Edited on 21/11/08 by mediabloke]

Yeh thanks wouldnt mind seeing a picture,as you can see from mine I am also using a mountain bike cable and 90deg bend but its still to high.
I will also have a look at Jacko and Locor1's solutions,
thanks guys

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

David Jenkins

posted on 22/11/08 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I cut and re-welded the cable bracket on my CBR600 carbs, both to shorten it and to redirect it a bit.

This now gives me enough clearance under the nosecone for a 90-degree bend. Looking at your picture, I wouldn't be surprised if you could do something similar.

[Edited on 22/11/08 by David Jenkins]

locoR1

posted on 22/11/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just took a picture for you, not easy with the carbs on the car but you should get the idea

[img][/img]

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

triumphdave

posted on 22/11/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks fellas,the pictures are very helpful.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.