Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.9TDI VW (VAG) engine in an MK Indy?
wydraz

posted on 24/11/08 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
1.9TDI VW (VAG) engine in an MK Indy?

Hi guys,

Your thoughts on this? Would the VAG 1.9TDI 170bhp diesel be a good choice in an MK Indy?

I have a Skoda Fabia vRS as my everyday car with the 130bhp version and it really shifts!

Thanks,

Dan

[Edited on 24/11/08 by wydraz]

Mark G

posted on 24/11/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Diesel's tend to be really torquey which makes them go well in a tintop. An Indy weighs much less and needs less torque but more power. I'd guess that you'd have trouble getting the power down without wheel spinning as there's not much weight over the driven wheels. Also, as soon as you do get some power you'd be changing gear pretty soon after anyway.

I'm sure it'd be quick but petrol power seems to be the way to go for a performance kit car.

Simon

posted on 24/11/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
It might be a bit noisy and you'd really need a rear exit exhaust for that reason, but if you don't mind that then I reckon go for it

Getting a nice low ratio final drive will be the key to a sensible driving experience and reduce the effective torque at the rear wheels.

I'd be tempted to chuck a diesel in mine

Keep us posted!

ATB

Simon

speedyxjs

posted on 24/11/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
I cant remember who it is but someone on here has made a rear exit exhaust for his car. Looks pretty good too

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mookaloid

posted on 24/11/08 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Better off with the 265bhp petrol turbo...

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Shilvers

posted on 24/11/08 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't oil burners supposed to be a bit heavier then their petrol counterparts?

Might need to spend a view quid on the handling and even then I dunno what it would be like. Anyone know what they weigh in at?

Shilvers

posted on 24/11/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/tdi_specs_en.pdf

135kg dry

hobbsy

posted on 24/11/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
A bloke called Crispin ??? in Practical Performance Car was building one up that he won in a competition ran by the mag. Not been many updates recently.

I think he was supposed to do it inside a year but I think its been longer than that.

Had problems etc. Sounds like a typical build!

nick205

posted on 24/11/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
VAG 1.9 TDIs were 130 and 150bhp (had the 150bhp Leon cracking car all round). Tuneable for more though.

VAG 2.0 TDIs are 140 and 170bhp also tuneable for more if required.

As above, IMHO turbo diesel engine characteristics are not suited to 7's, but ideal for tintops and everyday motoring.

coozer

posted on 24/11/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon if you can get suitable gearing, ie 3.14 diff, low ratio gearbox the torque will make a 7 fly.

You know what it feels like in your tintop so imagine it in a lightweight car with the gearing to match.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 24/11/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
my kitcars a diesel...

ford 2.0 tdci 136bhp completely standard.

fairly quiet and very little exhaust noise - vgt turbo takes a lot of the noise away.

my only advice would be to go the mid engine route and make use of the original gearbox. i struggled to find a rwd gearbox that was cheap and could take the torque and have descent ratios. also keeps the back end heavy to make use of the massive torque!

the 1.9 vag units are easier to wire up than the ford/peugeut tdci/hdi units but not quite as refined and quiet. however, having wired up mine, i would probably use a vag next time.

MY DERV BEAST

ATB

Will

daviep

posted on 24/11/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
Diesel's tend to be really torquey which makes them go well in a tintop. An Indy weighs much less and needs less torque but more power.

Smells like verbal diahorrea to me!!!!!!!!!!

Torque is a variable factor in the equation for working out horsepower (2Pi X N x T)/33000 where N is the number of revs and T is torque.

An increase in horsepower can only be accomplished by increasing torque or increasing the revs at which at which the torque is developed.

You would also want a high ratio axle

Cheers
Davie

motto: back to basics

turboben

posted on 24/11/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help but think a petrol turbo would be better at everything apart from economy. I dont care about mpg in my kit car!
adam1985

posted on 24/11/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
even in tintops diesils are good but they just dont compare to a petrosl in performance so why would you bother with one in a kit car when that is the main idea of one
Simon

posted on 24/11/08 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
You would also want a high ratio axle

Cheers
Davie

motto: back to basics

No, like I said, a low ratio. I have a 2.28:1 (from a BMW 330 DIESEL) which I'll be putting in mine which is a low ratio, to replace the 3.92 (high ratio) from PETROL Sierra

ATB

Simon

it_cud

posted on 17/12/08 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Well done dinosaurjuice,why don't we see more diesel motors ? I'm Just about to swap a screaming 8v VX motor for a 1.7 TD Isuzu in my Westfield. Engine choice was governed by two factors. Firstly, It mates straight onto my Manta box, handy eh ? an secondly it's purely mechanical. Basically a wire to the fuel shut off and that's it ! How did you find sorting out the Ford wiring ? Really fancy a performance motor in mine,but I'll see how this goes first.
dinosaurjuice

posted on 18/12/08 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
The wiring for mine was hurrendous. im fairly competant with electrics and electronics but i still struggled.

I didnt build my rocket to be outrageously fast, i wanted it to be a complete hoot to drive. and it is!!

the 1.7 isuzu is a strong lump. keep us posted with how it turns out.

ATB will

it_cud

posted on 20/12/08 at 01:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, I surely will do. I realise my choice of motor won't come close to the performance of a modern ' performance ' Diesel, but got to be worth a try ? Keep your wiring notes, I may need them at some point.
Mike.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.