Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sharing Broadband for PS3?
pauldm

posted on 6/2/09 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sharing Broadband for PS3?

What do I buy for WIRED sharing my Virgin broadband connection?
A router or a PC network card with a maximum 2 other connection from my PC?

PCWorld Network card

or

PCWorld wired router

or any suggestions. I don't want to go down the wireless route. Thanx in advance.

*** I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather,
not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.***

jlparsons

posted on 6/2/09 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming you've already got broadband installed and working on one machine then you've already got an adsl modem so all you need is a router.

http://ww w.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-1005D-port-100Mb-Switch/dp/B0000687B6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233960646&sr=8-3

This is all you need.

Modem ---> Switcher ---> PS3
Switcher ---> PC

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

jlparsons

posted on 6/2/09 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Another option - check the box your virgin broadband box came in, chances are it's got USB and ethernet cables. It's possible they'll both work together, I've never tried it but it can't hurt to try. Then you could use USB to your pc and ethernet to the PS3, no need to buy anything.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

YQUSTA

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Both of the above would work.

personally I find usb poo for broadband but it all depends on what you use it for.

Another easy option is a hub like this.

There cheap and no setup required just plug in and go.

YQUSTA

stevebubs

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jlparsons
Assuming you've already got broadband installed and working on one machine then you've already got an adsl modem so all you need is a router.

http://ww w.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-1005D-port-100Mb-Switch/dp/B0000687B6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233960646&sr=8-3

This is all you need.

Switcher ---> PC

The 1005D is not a router, it's a switch so will not work without a cable router.

[Edited on 6/2/09 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pauldm

PCWorld Network card

or

PCWorld wired router

You'll definitely need the second device. You will also need the first one if you don't have an ethernet port in your PC.

stevebubs

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
this may help. Replace the DI604 with your chosen cable router (e.g. the belkin one)

[Edited on 6/2/09 by stevebubs] Rescued attachment di604 quickstart.JPG
Rescued attachment di604 quickstart.JPG

jlparsons

posted on 7/2/09 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:

This is all you need.

Switcher ---> PC

The 1005D is not a router, it's a switch so will not work without a cable router.

Router/switch will work just the same for plugging into an ADSL modem to split a connection two ways. If you were looking at connecting ten computers or multiple protocols then there'd be some important differences. Switches are simpler and therefore cheaper and therefore better suited to such a simple task.

PCworld is only useful to look at stuff - then go buy it on the net. Only buy from them if you really really must have something on the spot, they ain't cheap!

[Edited on 7/2/09 by jlparsons]

DanP

posted on 7/2/09 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
I connect my ps3 and laptop to my VM cable modem using a linksys wireless router (ps3 is wired, laptop is wireless).
You will almost certainly need a router if you want to use your pc and ps3 online at the same time, a simple switch or hub will not do (although amost all routers have a switch/hub built in). I haven't actually tried it so i could be wrong but I find it hard to believe you can use the USB and network port on the VM cable modem at the same time.

Cheers
Dan

[Edited on 7/2/09 by DanP]

stevebubs

posted on 7/2/09 at 02:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is all you need.

Switcher ---> PC

Router/switch will work just the same for plugging into an ADSL modem to split a connection two ways. If you were looking at connecting ten computers or multiple protocols then there'd be some important differences. Switches are simpler and therefore cheaper and therefore better suited to such a simple task.

PCworld is only useful to look at stuff - then go buy it on the net. Only buy from them if you really really must have something on the spot, they ain't cheap!

I'm sorry, but you're just plain wrong on the whole router/switch thing.

I could go into the whole how the VM system hangs together, but let's just leave it at the fact that, unless they've changed it radically since I worked on it, it has a policy that assigns 1 IP address to each modem. 2 devices required 2 IP addresses. 2 into 1 don't go without some trickery. It is this trickery (known as NAT (layer 3)/PAT (layer4)) that the router provides.

TBH I don't particularly like PCWorld either, but they're local and ubiquitous if you need something quickly (TBH, The new look stores are worse than the old ones if you want to go in and look at something).

[Edited on 7/2/09 by stevebubs]

jlparsons

posted on 7/2/09 at 03:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is all you need.

Switcher ---> PC

I'm sorry, but you're just plain wrong on the whole router/switch thing.

I could go into the whole how the VM system hangs together, but let's just leave it at the fact that, unless they've changed it radically since I worked on it, it has a policy that assigns 1 IP address to each modem. 2 devices required 2 IP addresses. 2 into 1 don't go without some trickery. It is this trickery (known as NAT (layer 3)/PAT (layer4)) that the router provides.

TBH I don't particularly like PCWorld either, but they're local and ubiquitous if you need something quickly (TBH, The new look stores are worse than the old ones if you want to go in and look at something).

Sure. Works for me though.

stevebubs

posted on 7/2/09 at 03:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Sure. Works for me though.

Really? I'm genuinely surprised by this. Do you have both on at the same time?

The following page leads me to believe they haven't relaxed their policy...

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/using/connect-new.php

jlparsons

posted on 7/2/09 at 03:13 AM Reply With Quote
This may help: http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_difference_between_a_hub_a_switch_a nd_a_router.html

stevebubs

posted on 7/2/09 at 03:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
This may help: http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_difference_between_a_hub_a_switch_a nd_a_router.html

Direct quote from that page...
quote:

Routers come in all shapes and sizes from the small four-port broadband routers that are very popular right now [snip] For example, broadband routers include the ability to "hide" computers behind a type of firewall which involves slightly modifying the packets of network traffic as they traverse the device

A more articulate way of repeating my comment around NAT/PAT

stevebubs

posted on 7/2/09 at 03:27 AM Reply With Quote
PS I'm grumpy as I'm up with bloody toothache...
jlparsons

posted on 7/2/09 at 03:46 AM Reply With Quote
The code-nerds i used to live with explained it like this: a router is just a network switch with NAT, DHCP, firewall and usually other security gubbins, wireless, pinto etc. The main advantage of a full router is that packets are re-written and the isp only "sees" one ip address. A switch purely directs packets without rewriting them, so the isp'll see them all. These days this doesn't tend to matter, isps don't normally mind. Because the processing power required is so slim, a switch is very cheap. In fact with most you could probably even get away with taking a further step down and using a hub which blindly repeats every packet to every destination and just hopes they all understand. There are exceptions, mainly BT from what i hear, which insists on DHCP.

Cloves! They work a charm, trust me. chew a bit, then leave against that tooth. By the second one you'll be much better. Of course, you will stink! But for me this was the lesser of two evils.

Myself, I made the mistake of having a nap at 5. Four hours later I woke up with the knowledge that I'm never going to sleep tonight...

martyn_16v

posted on 7/2/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Even if it does work (and I am very sceptical about it working on an NTL/VM modem, ADSL is a different kettle of fish) i'd still stay behind a router. The thought of people relying solely on Windows Firewall is disturbing

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.