Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ignorance about kit cars...
james h

posted on 6/3/09 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ignorance about kit cars...

I was wondering if many people on here have tales of people's ignorance about kit cars?

I'll go first....

I work in a restaurant part time, we often have a bit of banter with the chefs. I told them that I was building a kit car and I did a quick sketch:

"haha that looks cr@p, like that one from Wind in the Willows!"
"How much horse power?"
Me - '150ish'
"Hahaha thats cr@p, my C4 vtr has loads more, will be wayy quicker!"
Me - 'Ah I never knew C4s could get to 60mph in about 4 seconds'
"You are talking s**t you are, we should have a race."

Then it was my turn to laugh Things like these just make me want to finish it as soon as possible now Can't wait to turn up to work in it now!

James

eznfrank

posted on 6/3/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
A few months after I'd got my chassis my neighbour came over to have a look and she said that when I first got it she thought I was building a bed!
Dangle_kt

posted on 6/3/09 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
i;m looking forward to scaring the HELL out of a few of the guys I work with.

Keith Weiland

posted on 6/3/09 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
You must work with a bunch or a-holes. people I work with are amazed by kit cars and in awe of the power to weight ratio etc of the 7 type cars.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinny1275

posted on 6/3/09 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
You should get one of the lads with a turbo'd busa or something along to race his vtr *ahem* on private land of course *cough*, and post his face afterwards on youtube....

"What size is your engine?"
"1.3"
"Haha, that's cr@p, my vtr will wee all over it.."

"bugg3r"

or, put some money on it, and fleece him.....

Since TG had the R500 on there, the "what is it you're building" conversations have been easier....

mistergrumpy

posted on 6/3/09 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
My mam was convinced I was building a boat and that it would never be a car and at work when I told them they were telling me how you can't have a car without a roof or windscreen and that I was talking crap about the whole thing. When I showed them a picture one lad said "ohhh it's like Brum!" So instantly its a kids thing and won't shift for toffee.
I just leave them to it, carry on!

omega0684

posted on 6/3/09 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
i just think it will be hilarious when his Citreon VTR revs above 4000 rpm and then blows up!

have to agree with mr grumpy as well, when i told the guys i was building a car with no screen they said it was like brum, when i turned up to work in it for the first time, they soon shut up! one lad had a mk 2 'convertable' golf, so i started taking the wee out of him when he sat at the lights next to me revving his engine, im sure you can guess what happened next!

[Edited on 6/3/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
irvined

posted on 6/3/09 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I know exactly how you feel, my coworker didn't believe my car that i bashed together out of bits of salvaged ford gubbings could get to 60mph, let alone quickly. He got quite a shock when I left him eating my (rather blue) smoke at a set of traffic lights a couple of times. (He owns a 911 but doesn't really know how to drive it.)

He is refusing to believe that my hair dryer powered automobile will have any chance of being quick because you need to rev it so high to get the power. I guess I better get the fury finished then....

http://irvined.blogspot.com

james h

posted on 6/3/09 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Haha yeah, that was another thing-

"How big is your engine?"
"Less than a litre"
"Hahah thats tiny! What do you think you can do with that?!?"

chrisg

posted on 6/3/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm

Citroen C4 VTR, if it has the biggest engine - 140bhp.

Vehicle weight 1720kg empty.

See if your mate has ever heard the words "Power to weight ratio"

I've had people tell me, in all seriousness, that you can't...

...build your own car...

...use the engine from one car in another...

....drive a car without a windscreen....

etc. etc.

People have no idea.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

pewe

posted on 6/3/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
This part of the country is full of wannabe racers in Beemers - it's such a p*ss take blowing them off from the lights or waiting for them to decide they'd better move over and then doing it all over them.
Hooligan - moi?
Cheers, Pewe

dinosaurjuice

posted on 6/3/09 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
there is usually an order of facial expression when people see my car at lights etc

that looks cool

diesel??????

haha what a pile of shit

yikes that soon dissappeared...

mistergrumpy

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Wait....did you just say.....Diesel?!

Dangle_kt

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome!

I used to enjoy chav bashing on my bike, the best ones are when you spot some pretty young lady in the passenger seat looking pretty bored with her sportswear clad lover. Quick wink at the girl was sure to get the lad up for a "go" - then leave em wheeeeeeeeeey back.

Makes me laugh, her disatsified and him red faced - win, win, win!

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
This part of the country is full of wannabe racers in Beemers - it's such a p*ss take blowing them off from the lights or waiting for them to decide they'd better move over and then doing it all over them.
Hooligan - moi?
Cheers, Pewe

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I must say that I have not had any of the negative comments about my car builds or aspirations.

Most are all very interested and generally want to know more.

It may have somthing to do with most of the fellas at work being fairly like minded and mechanical.

Though I do tend to try and show a picture rather than attemp to explain, is that cheating

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

adithorp

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from the "Is it a car" and "Is it legal" brigade (hundreds of those), I got the impresion that people were taking my claims of performance "with a pinch of salt". A case of humour him, he's harmless. They change thier tune when they get a ride in it. Varies from speechless to jibbering...with the odd puking for good measure.

When owners of "quick" cars are impressed after a ride you know you did the right thing building it. Those I've impressed so far have had S2000, GT4, TVR Taimar, Griffith500, 360, etc.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

yellow melos

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
"A few months after I'd got my chassis my neighbour came over to have a look and she said that when I first got it she thought I was building a bed!"

Did she look disapointed whe you said no ????

James

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
The whole principle of doing something yourself, woth your own hands seems to be so alien to so many people now.

From building a car to DIY some people are just terrified to attempt anything at all. I'm boarding my loft at the moment, some people are astounded that such a thing is possible without 'getting someone in'!

Nothing different with cars really, or else there wouldn't be mechanics and garages!!!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Stuart_B

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
i had, that a lot of people saying you could by a car with the money it cost you to build one. and then laugh at it is only 1.6, and some people reckon that a 1.4 fiesta will keep up with it, and i will only just get past. They did get a shock when i left a fiesta standing, on a private road of course.

stuart

iank

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellow melos
"A few months after I'd got my chassis my neighbour came over to have a look and she said that when I first got it she thought I was building a bed!"

Did she look disapointed whe you said no ????

And what kind of bed does she have indoors

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Diseasel! Fuel of the Devil. What is the world coming to?

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

clairetoo

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
We had a student on placement a while back - kept going on at tea break about how much faster various turbo or supercars will be compared to my (at that time) crossflow powered Fury - so I took him for a blast down a local road I know very well
He actually screamed when I didnt even back off for a blind downhill kink...........

[Edited on 6/3/09 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

oldtimer

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
The negative comments seem to come either from lack of knowledge or otherwise jealousy. I think interest is a more honest response. I remember coming back to my first kit car, in Bath, to find it sorrounded by Japanese tourists taking it in turn for photographs.
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
A few months after I'd got my chassis my neighbour came over to have a look and she said that when I first got it she thought I was building a bed!

Did you offer her a ride in it?

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

chris_smith

posted on 6/3/09 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

We had a student on placement a while back - kept going on at tea break about how much faster various turbo or supercars will be compared to my (at that time) crossflow powered Fury - so I took him for a blast down a local road I know very well He actually screamed when I didnt even back off for a blind downhill kink...........

nice one claire, love it

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.