Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: reverse for my locoblade
simmi69

posted on 8/3/09 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
reverse for my locoblade

Hi, ive just purchased a stuart taylor locoblade, and im after some advise on where to get a reverse kit for it other than from Aries at 300 sheets, or is this the going rate ??

any advise welcome....

nitram38

posted on 8/3/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
The easiest part to source is the Starter motor. The hardest is the correct sprocket that you will bolt onto your drivetrain.
Talk to Russ Bost about a complete starter/sprocket or get your own starter and talk to Doug at westgarage engineering. He makes sprokets for drive chains so should be able to help you.
If you go the cheap route it might cause you problems with ratios etc.
If you buy ready made then it is up to the seller to sort things out.

cloudy

posted on 8/3/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say, you've probably bought the wrong car if you want to willingly add reverse to a BEC!

www.warnercars.com

mr henderson

posted on 8/3/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
I have to say, you've probably bought the wrong car if you want to willingly add reverse to a BEC!

Why do you feel you have to say that?

Dangle_kt

posted on 8/3/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I looked into it, and it does present some difficulties which meant unless I wanted to fabricate some pretty important peices myself I was looking at a full day for someone like AB to do it for me.

The problem you will have is that a ST is live axled (correct me if I'm wrong) and that makes fitting the reverse in the normal place impossible as the drive train at the rear moves, unlike the fixed sierra unit on IRS sevens.

You will need to figure out a suitable place to mount it at the front of the prop - which is going to be tricky.

Doing anything for the first time means you can't ask anyone for advise.

It also means that the arier's one for £300 might not work on yours, I know the AB one with a day worth of fabrication time would have worked out more than that and Andy was very reasonable with his prices.

[Edited on 8/3/09 by Dangle_kt]

Triton

posted on 8/3/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bec racers have been using them for ages and most of those I have seen have been very simple set ups using a starter motor from a bike and a sprocket on the prop with some form of cable or rod engagement doodah....only thing I would do would be to make the sprocket in a hard plastic just in case things went pear shaped and the sod dropped into reverse at giddy going forwards speeds...plastic sprocket would save the day by just losing some teeth...

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sonic

posted on 8/3/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Why does everybody want reverse all of a sudden?
I had a Quaiffe reversing box on mine which i took off and sold,i only ever used it once and that was out of curiousity.

Also proved to robb the car of 14bhp at the wheels on a rolling road.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/3/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know why, but perhaps IVA???

I've recently sold both of my WF reverse gearboxes and two sets of propshafts (Ford and Freeloader) from the race car. I thought they'd simply gather dust, or I'd have to get them weighed in. Very popular items right now.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/3/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
...and to contribute technically. The motor in your case will have to go on the engine. Andy (AB) has done this sort of thing before, he also loves Blades..
Richard Quinn

posted on 8/3/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
The Locoblade is available in both live axle and IRS variants.
cloudy

posted on 8/3/09 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
It was meant as a joke
BEC design philosophy = minimum weight - bikes don't have reverse!

James

quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:
Originally posted by cloudy

Why do you feel you have to say that?

www.warnercars.com

simmi69

posted on 9/3/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonic
Why does everybody want reverse all of a sudden?
I had a Quaiffe reversing box on mine which i took off and sold,i only ever used it once and that was out of curiousity.

Also proved to robb the car of 14bhp at the wheels on a rolling road.

Not all of a sudden, ive only just brought the car ! i just wanted to now if it was worth investing in one..

Meeerrrk

posted on 9/3/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
hi, i thought the same when i first got mine on the road but since using it for all sorts of journeys, ive never needed it. I would save the dosh and put it toward something else

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

simmi69

posted on 9/3/09 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Meeerrrk
hi, i thought the same when i first got mine on the road but since using it for all sorts of journeys, ive never needed it. I would save the dosh and put it toward something else

Now thats good advise, which i will take, anyone selling any 7"ish front headlights prefer chrome(i cant advertise in wanted because ive not posted 10 times)

40inches

posted on 9/3/09 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sonic
Why does everybody WANTreverse all of a sudden?

I think most people building a BEC don't actually WANT a reverse! We are being forced into fitting one if we want to pass IVA I don't really want the cost and hassle at this stage in the build

sonic

posted on 9/3/09 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there

My reply wasnt a shirty one!

I know you need one for IVA on new build cars but the one in question isnt going to go through IVA.

There seams to be alot of talk at the moment about reverse on older cars and just wonders why there was so much interest.

Looking at alot of the ideas about the electric type seams to be the way to go as it wont rob power from the engine,however how long do they last power wise,do they drain the battery?

[Edited on 9/3/09 by sonic]

40inches

posted on 9/3/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Sonic, wasn't having a go at you, more at the powers that be!! As far as I am concerned it's another £350 to find on top of the reputed £500ish fee for the IVA Agree that electric seems the way to go, light and no power sapping penalty. The only thing it will sap is the bank balance
Jumpy Guy

posted on 12/3/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
as someone who only just converted to BEC, I'm really missing reverse

my garage has a slight incline, which I hadnt even noticed before...

Trying to push even 600 kgs up a hilll is no fun at all....

simmi69

posted on 12/3/09 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jumpy Guy

That was exactly mine thoughts, mines in my mates shed that has a small ramp into and its stone/gravel on the floor, which is a nightmare !, I was thinking of asking him to concrete it

Meeerrrk

posted on 12/3/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jumpy Guy

you see, this is where you need to be clever, when you park you car with no reverse, you look for the spaces which will help you. In your case, i would drive the car in under power and then let it roll out using the hill for your power. siiimmmples

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

Jumpy Guy

posted on 13/3/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
hmmm.

Problem is that the path to the garage is up a slight incline. but i have a steep ramp into the garden.

(Slopes go opposite ways, garden level in the middle)

i.e. no escape one of the slopes!

mad_dogpompey

posted on 11/4/09 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
hey guys!

have been doing a bit of research on this. depends on what axle your using mk put a gear wheel between the rear diff and the prop shaft and put the starter under that, they weld the starter to two brackets. where they get the gear wheel from i m not sure!!! they charge 350 quid! this is the way i think i ll do it eventually!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.