Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 carbs to tb's
daniel mason

posted on 15/4/09 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
r1 carbs to tb's

im just thinking ahead to this winter and was wondering if it would be possible to change the carbs on my 5jj R1 and go fuel injected on tb's from a newer R1!
1; what would i gain from doing this? eg. more power + sweeter running.
2;would it give me the option to tune it a bit easier?
3;would it be very expensive? eg cheaper to do this or sell the 5jj engine and replace withe a newer fuel injected motor?
any help would be grateful thanks.

Garage Clearout

posted on 15/4/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
waste of time, originally you wanted more power than a zx9 and you bought an R1, despite being told it would make little/no difference, and now you want more power again, you should've saved your money and bought the right car to start with a busa/zx12/zx14 engine fitted.

Changing for carbs to Tb's won't make hardly any difference, but will cost you a fair few quid, if you want more power out of your carb'd R1 why don't you remove all the engine internals and place them on a work bench, then take the casings from a busa and reassemble using all new busa parts, you should then have a car closer to what you originally wanted.

[Edited on 15/4/09 by Garage Clearout]

smart51

posted on 15/4/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garage Clearout
waste of time, originally you wanted more power than a zx9 and you bought an R1, despite being told it would make little/no difference, and now you want more power again, you should've saved your money and bought the right car to start with a busa/zx12/zx14 engine fitted.

Changing for carbs to Tb's won't make hardly any difference, but will cost you a fair few quid, if you want more power out of your carb'd R1 why don't you remove all the engine internals and place them on a work bench, then take the casings from a busa and reassemble using all new busa parts, you should then have a car closer to what you originally wanted.

Harsh, but probably true. Carbed R1 to EFI = 5 to 10 BHP increase maybe. less than 10% Will you even notice?

I know I'm a bit all or nothing but the odd 30% difference in power in normal cars barely felt any different to me. I want a car that is LOADS faster or I might as well stay the same. A 200 BHP ZX14 would only feel a bit faster than my 150 BHP R1. I'd want the car to be 100kg ligher too. Small increments don't work unless you measure performance with a stop watch. Go Large or don't bother.

omega0684

posted on 15/4/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
i have moved from r1 carbs to r1 throttle bodies of the 2003 model, it will make your car run more efficiently once you get it set up properly, you will get better throttle responce and overall power, if you go down the MS route you are probably looking at a spend of around £500 - £700 depending on weather or not you need a new tank, etc, you will definately need ecu, tb's, return line to tank, hi pressure fuel pump and filter etc

hope this helps, u2u me is you want more details

Alex

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
garage clearout!
i have not even got my car on the road yet so i dont know if i want more power. i bought the car because it was a very good price and could not afford a busa!
we are not all made of money.
to everyone else thanks for your help. it was just a thought and was just wanting to find out from those who know better than myself.
u2u sent garage clearout!!!

[Edited on 15/4/09 by daniel mason]

also please look at the spec and price of my car on the pistonheads web site. if you still think a vortx rt+ in board powered by R1 with kliktronic is the wrong car then thats fine!

Garage Clearout

posted on 15/4/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
u2u here
Subject:
To: Garage Clearout
Sent: 15/4/09 at 09:11 PM
Message: get your facts right before you reply to my posts again please!
my car is not on the road yet and have never driven it.i just wanted to find out if it would be worth doing. and i have bought the right car for a very good price!
i do not know if i need more power but was checking out my options before i decided. This Mnr is the bestest car in the world, it's better than a caterham and it wins all the races it goes in. Even though i've not been in it yet i bet it's faster than any other kitcar out there.

So you've not even been out in the car and already you looking to upgrade it!

look back through all your posts since you joined, you must be power mad, all in quest to go faster and faster on the road, where we have 70mph max speed limit and in most places it's around 60mph

My dutton is more than capable up to 60mph on the uk roads

just to pull you up on the point about money, if the r1 is no faster than your zx9 then you've actually wasted your money as i'm sure you've invested more money in the blue car than you received for your old zx9

[Edited on 15/4/09 by Garage Clearout]

daniel mason

posted on 15/4/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
i like fast cars! is that a problem?
please dont post u2u messages on the thread page and dont reply to any of my future posts thanks.especially when you sabotage them! the stuff about the mnr i never even said! when did i say the mnr
was no faster than the st zx9?

progers

posted on 16/4/09 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Back on topic

Daniel,

Its not a good idea to do a TB conversion on the R1. The main reason is that it gains you very little and will cost you alot so the performance per £ is not a good return.

There is little difference between a carb'd R1 and an injected R1 (5JJ Vs 5PW) in terms of peak power. The main difference is that the midrange is smoother and more responsive in the 5PW, plus its a bit more economical - thats it. On track you wouldn't notice the difference.

If you want more power you either have to go the tuning route, or get a bigger more powerful engine. I suggest you use what you have, get used to it and understand how to get the best out of it (there is alot more to driving BECs than straight line acceleration). You can then decide what to do over the winter.

- Paul

(I've owned both 5JJ and 5PW motors, the later I have raced in RGB)

daniel mason

posted on 16/4/09 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
thanks paul. am sure the car will be good as it is,but i love messing around and doing stuff to the car
marc n

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
as paul says powerwise next to bugger all but driveabilty on a road car its a much nicer drive on injection for sure a lot smother

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 17/4/09 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
OT:

quote:
Originally posted by marc n
for sure a lot smother

Argh! Proof he's a racing driver! Why oh why do F1 drivers all start sentences with 'For sure.' It doesn't matter if their from Brazil, Finland or Oxford - it drives me crazy!

If you don't believe me watch any of the interviews this weekend!

Back on topic - from what I can tell, putting on-road driveability to one side, there is next to no difference in outright power between a 4XV, 5JJ, 5PW and later R1 engines. Having watched Progers in his 5PW car dice with Josh Smith's similar car with a '06 R1, the proof is in the pudding.

In the bike it might be different as the clever ram-air technology cannot be directly carried across to the car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.