Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which oil in an 893 blade?
asl

posted on 26/4/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Which oil in an 893 blade?

Hi. Just going to change the oil in my blade. Which oil and how much does it take? (893 blade) Thanks
slimtater

posted on 26/4/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Been discussed a lot - might be worth a search?
I put Castrol 10/40 fully synthetic (Racing) motorbike oil in and I started to get clutch slip. I have changed back to Castrol 10/40 semi synthetic (GPS) and this seems a popular choice - 28.99 from Halfords.
If you search, there have been similar clutch problems when people have used fully synthetic if it previously had semi.
Added:
If your is a 1994 893 (RRR) like mine, I think it is 3.5l without filter change and 3.6l with - only did mine yesterday as well!
There is a good post from AB about the filling process - you need to run a bit extra.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=95037

[Edited on 26/4/09 by slimtater]

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19919222

ReMan

posted on 26/4/09 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
About 4l of Halfords Semi-synth think it's 10-40 £20
gingerprince

posted on 26/4/09 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I use Castrol GPS semi too. Lovely and red
Kev99

posted on 26/4/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Castrol 10/40 semi synthetic (GPS) Thats what i use

ReMan

posted on 26/4/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting post you refer to by Andy Bates.
it does not mention baffeled sump or not either. So I don't know wheter that was helped.
I overfill by a little, hence the 4L estimate, but be careful not to over-overfill else it starts the clutch slipping as well, you ask me

slimtater

posted on 26/4/09 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Interesting post you refer to by Andy Bates.
it does not mention baffeled sump or not either. So I don't know wheter that was helped.
I overfill by a little, hence the 4L estimate, but be careful not to over-overfill else it starts the clutch slipping as well, you ask me

I followed it when I last changed the oil and ended up with clutch slip after about 200 miles. I think it was more likely down to using synthetic. I will let you know if I make it to Stoneleigh as it is likely to be the first drive after new clutch plates/steels/springs plus a change back to semi. Thats if I get an exhaust sorted!

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19919222

hobbsy

posted on 26/4/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Castrol GPS (semi) as well - albeit in an R1 (no real reason why it would want different oil TBH).

I did run fully synth before but Andy Bates recommended GPS as its what he runs in all the RGB cars he looks after.

Plus I shared his concern that some of the fully synth oils seem to get VERY thin when hot and this can't help oil surge in a BEC

asl

posted on 26/4/09 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys!!
Guinness

posted on 26/4/09 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I used to use the Castrol GPS semi skimmed in mine. Lovely smell and red colour.

Now I have increased the frequency of the changes I've started using the standard Halfords own brand 40/10 Semi.

Mike

ReMan

posted on 26/4/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
I used to use the Castrol GPS semi skimmed in mine. Lovely smell and red colour.

Now I have increased the frequency of the changes I've started using the standard Halfords own brand 40/10 Semi.

Mike

Just as I mentioned I don't think I need to throw the most expensive oils t a 15 year old engine thats loosened up by %0000 miles , hence Hafrauds finest

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.