Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: car helmet
FASTdan

posted on 28/4/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
car helmet

Looking to buy a helmet for use in the indy - more for escaping the wind than anything else.

BUT, is there anything to be aware of in terms of standards etc? It will get used for track days too but no competition use.

You can get £30 bike helmets on ebay that look alright, but surely there's a reason they're so cheap as against £200 etc?

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 28/4/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
acu gold helmets are approved for bike racing. my helmet was £50, with acu gold. not sure why its cheaper than others, except maybe they don't but in the time in aerodynamics etc? certainly shouldn't be any less safe ("shouldn't" be) i wouldn't buy one off ebay though.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

slimtater

posted on 28/4/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a couple off ebay and I have found them to be fine. End of line or old colours perhaps? Not being a biker, wouldn't know what to look for, but they had a BMS gold sticker on them!

Link added:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390040397255

[Edited on 28/4/09 by slimtater]

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19919222

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/4/09 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
had a look at the ones in Aldi, very thin shells and very basic design but better than nothing in a car

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 28/4/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've also got a £50 bike helmet which is fine for normal road driving and the few track days that I have done. It has got bike standards stickers, but be aware that MotorSport Vision (MSV) tracks are apparently demanding car motorsports stadnards for helmets which (most? all?) bike helmets will not meet. See e.g. here or here (though I couldn't find anything on the MSV site itself???)
smalltalk

posted on 28/4/09 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just as a point - please, please, please never buy a second hand helmet off anyone, especially ebay. You may need it to save your nut one day!!! the day you need it will be the day that you regretted saving that £50 cause its second hand, dropped, kicked and unsafe, and as you bounce down the tarmac head first you will remember these words for a few brief seconds until it fails - and then you will spend the rest of your life drinking through a straw, dribbling and pissing in a bag.

Thank you for reading this important H&S message........

Dangle_kt

posted on 28/4/09 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smalltalk
Just as a point - please, please, please never buy a second hand helmet off anyone, especially ebay. You may need it to save your nut one day!!! the day you need it will be the day that you regretted saving that £50 cause its second hand, dropped, kicked and unsafe, and as you bounce down the tarmac head first you will remember these words for a few brief seconds until it fails - and then you will spend the rest of your life drinking through a straw, dribbling and pissing in a bag.

Thank you for reading this important H&S message........

sorry to disagree, but IMO all this panic over dropping helmets is overkill. Yes if it is out of a 2nd storey window onto concreate, then it might precompact the shell coating, but the most any helmet I have ever owned has fallen is a few feet and I am sure that it is all H&S panic to get more helmets sold.

I read a very interesting article, where they tested helmets that had been dropped all the way up to 6ft, with no changes to distructive test result that were later carried out.

There are some helmets with fancy skin coatings that might get damaged by a fall.

smalltalk

posted on 28/4/09 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I dont disagree with your comments but second hand is an unknown quantity. Would you be prepared to take a chance for the sake of a couple of quid!! I wouldn't. All I am saying is that if you know the history you dont have that worry whilst slamming head first in to the black stuff. For all the corners that can be cut you should'nt when it comes to crash hats. The only people who should disagree are the second hand sellers. Personally I have never sold or gave away any lid, once i have finished with it, after crashing, it goes where it should, the bin. - by the way i am not a retailer of such things, or an anal H&S moron, just someone concerned that people would think that ebay crash hats are OK. At the end of the day its your life.

I have also been known, on more than one occassion, to drop my lid, give a little kick, and roll about on the concrete. But its known damage, I have had the inconvience of bouncing down the road head first, a few times i am sorry to say, and it was the lid that saved my life.

FASTdan

posted on 28/4/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I dont disagree with your comments but second hand is an unknown quantity. Would you be prepared to take a chance for the sake of a couple of quid!! I wouldn't. All I am saying is that if you know the history you dont have that worry whilst slamming head first in to the black stuff. For all the corners that can be cut you should'nt when it comes to crash hats. The only people who should disagree are the second hand sellers. Personally I have never sold or gave away any lid, once i have finished with it, after crashing, it goes where it should, the bin. - by the way i am not a retailer of such things, or an anal H&S moron, just someone concerned that people would think that ebay crash hats are OK. At the end of the day its your life.

I have also been known, on more than one occassion, to drop my lid, give a little kick, and roll about on the concrete. But its known damage, I have had the inconvience of bouncing down the road head first, a few times i am sorry to say, and it was the lid that saved my life.

I wouldnt buy 2nd hand, as you say its an unknown. Although I do also agree with the scare mongering H+S comments.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
handyandy

posted on 28/4/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
i,m an ex semi pro bike racer & think that if a helmet has been dropped there are other factors to consider such as speed it was traveling before impact etc, as has been said a helmet dropped lets say off a table onto the floor may not be damaged but a helmet dropped /thrown (in anger ) at a hard surface will probably suffer in some way,
i,ll be honest & admit i have dropped a race helmet & then used it in a race & crashed whilst wearing it & my head was protected but then that particular helmet went on the trophy shelf with chin straps cut out so could never be used again.
my thoughts on this is to know the history of the lid, if in doubt look for another helmet from a supplier you can trust.
IMO of course
andy

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 28/4/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sourcing out a few helmets for my toy as well, mainly as you say or keeping the wind off and crap out fo my face when I'm on the main roads on long journeys.

Personally I wouldn't buy 2nd hand, mainly for the lack of history behind a used helmet. That saying, if one was given to me by a close friend, I wouldn't turn it down.

For use when driving a 7/equivelant, it's not the impact resistance you're looking for, as when you'd be wearing it on a bike. Obviously if the helmet was cracked or scraped after an apparent accident, I'd avoid it. So I'm looking for new units on ebay. I know some are mega bucks, and I really don't think when I'm sat in my car, I really need all the protection they're offering!

As such, I think I'll be looking to spend somewhere between £50-100 on a helmet for me (new) on the 'bay.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

smalltalk

posted on 28/4/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by handyandy
i,m an ex semi pro bike racer & think that if a helmet has been dropped there are other factors to consider such as speed it was traveling before impact etc, as has been said a helmet dropped lets say off a table onto the floor may not be damaged but a helmet dropped /thrown (in anger ) at a hard surface will probably suffer in some way,
i,ll be honest & admit i have dropped a race helmet & then used it in a race & crashed whilst wearing it & my head was protected but then that particular helmet went on the trophy shelf with chin straps cut out so could never be used again.
my thoughts on this is to know the history of the lid, if in doubt look for another helmet from a supplier you can trust.
IMO of course
andy

Well said Andy

Until you have had your life saved by the lid you will never truly understand why I push this point so strongly. Not for profit or H&S, just life.

People please consider carefully when buying any safety gear. You may need it one day.

GeorgeM

posted on 28/4/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you're going to spend £50-£100, go
to your local bike shop & get one.
You can try it on, get advice and you
might even be surprised because it's
no dearer.
You will also be helping local business.

GeorgeM

David Jenkins

posted on 28/4/09 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you go to the really big bike shops you might find some 'end-of-line' bargains - last year's design, etc. I bought a Takachi helmet at M&P in Gorseinon for £40 - that model was £140 last year, and is still around 180 Euros in Germany! They had others at prices between £25 and £50.

Note that you do get what you pay for, mostly in 'fit and finish'. The Takachi is OK, but my Caberg is better made. Also, the Caberg doesn't try to lift at speed, but the Takachi does. The only reason I bought a new one was because of the wind noise on the flip-front Caberg.

Dangle_kt

posted on 29/4/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I've crashed plenty, one crash involved one whole side of my lid grinding away to the inner core as I slid down the road on my face.

I understand things perfectly, I just have my own informed opinion on the situation which isn't the same as the majority.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by handyandy
IMO of course
andy

Well said Andy

Until you have had your life saved by the lid you will never truly understand why I push this point so strongly. Not for profit or H&S, just life.

People please consider carefully when buying any safety gear. You may need it one day.

tendoshingan

posted on 29/4/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Well, what can I say, I only bought a helmet to keep the wind and leaves/debris off my face when driving.
I also wanted one for skydiving that I do, so managed to get a full face skydiving one that works really well for driving.
link here:skydiving helmet

Not sure on safety aspect though but to keep the crap off my face, it works great! Also looks pretty cool

coozer

posted on 29/4/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I got mine at a local bike shop, last years Shark for ess than half price. Bargain.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.