Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 750MC RGB CLASS NEWBIE!
FirebladeST

posted on 8/5/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
750MC RGB CLASS NEWBIE!

Hi, hoping some people on here can share some wisdom. I bought a stuart taylor a few months ago with the intention to get racing / hillclimbing. I plan to go to the harewood hill climb on sunday to speak to people there and I discovered the 750MC RGB race today, which i think looks good.

I have a 919cc fireblade engine no mods to the engine apart from its jetted.

Just want to know if anyone has any tips or advice for someone starting out and wanting to get into the events above. is the 750mc rgb class the best for me to enter. how much does each race cost? do you pay at each race or once at the beginining of the season? i would quite happily start now for the experience even if there was absolutley no chance of winning anything!

Im pretty sure my car conforms in most ways and ill speak to the scrutineers at harewood on sunday.

I plan to do my ards test at oulton park soon and maybe get a track day in there or cadwell park.

Just hoping people can give me some advice, warn of any unexpected costs / things i have to do.

Im new to all things kit car so again - any advice would be great.

Cheers! Dan

andylancaster3000

posted on 8/5/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Dan,

Bit of advice from a relative newbie, I had a go for the first time in the 750mc Kits series and had a go at a few rounds last year so have been through the initial processes fairly recently.

RGB is a really good formula in my opinion and has pretty healthy grids too. In terms of cost it isn't tooo expensive compared to others at a similar level, considering that the engines a pretty tightly controlled, but by no means is it the cheapest way to go. With a Fireblade you be put you in class C, solely for fireblades, which is still fairly competitive overall and pretty hottly contested.

To give an idea of costs:

- Look to pay at least £350-400 in total to get your hands on a National B licence.

- You'll then have to pay £75 to register with the formula and £50 to become a member of the club.

- Race entry ranges from about £170 to about £250 dependent upon circuit and whether it's a double header or not. You can pay for them up front but most pay per round.

This doesn't include the costs of getting the car legal, e.g. extinguishers, transponders(silly price!) and control tyres . And also the additional costs with going away for a race weekend and trailers etc.

All in all, absolutely brilliant fun and you'll most likely love it. The 750 meetings are always very freindly and well managed. It does require you to dedicate A LOT of time effort and resources however.

Hope this helps, please ask if you have any questions. I believe there are a couple of RGB competitors on this forum.

Andy

[Edited on 8/5/09 by andylancaster3000]

FirebladeST

posted on 9/5/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
eh up andy, cheers for that - cant wait to give it a go now. will take me the rest of this season to get used to it i reckon. ive only been driving it on the road so far and 60 feels like 120 so its gonna take some guts taking t a 100+ !!! is that a stuart taylor you have? my car is the same colour as that. v rare i believe?!? when is the next rgb race? have you done any hillclimbs? im looking to do my ards on friday at oulton park. how is that track? i love the look of cadwell park but ive heard its pretty scarey!
andylancaster3000

posted on 9/5/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
No probs. Wow, lots more questions

Ours is a home-built locost chassis, not a ST but pretty simlar to one indeed.

Colour, a kawasaki greeny colour, I know it as RAL 6018 as that's what it said on the 2K paint pot it came from! I thought it was rare-ish until I turned up at a snowy Lydden last year and found every man and his dog had cars the same colour. Certainly not hard to spot though.

Never done any hillclimbs but am hoping to have a go at a local sprint at the end of the summer to see what it's like.

Never been to Oulton (not braved the trip that far north with it yet!) but most seem to say its challenging and interesting. Cadwell though is my favourite circuit, again very challenging.

Andy

progers

posted on 15/5/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dan,

My name is Paul Rogers and I run a class A car in RGB. I also ran an R1 class B for several seasons before that.

Your car is an ideal entry into racing and RGB would be a good place to start - its about the most affordable bike engined racing you can get and has comparable costs to the other formulea the 750MC runs. You'll find the RGB crowd very welcoming to new comers (there have been several this year and all are having a great time, including MK9R on this site).

Get your ARDs, get yourself upto speed and comfortable with the car with a few trackdays and you'll be in shape to start. There is varying ability within the field so you will soon find people of similar pace that you can have a dice with and enjoy the thrill of racing.

Please logon to our dedicated site www.rgb-racing.org.uk, its a forum for all things RGB and includes sections and advice for newbies.

By all means pop along to a 750MC meeting and see what its all about. You can wonder around the paddock, see all the cars and speak to the drivers - we are all very approachable

Cheers

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.