Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 Durability
focijohn

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 Durability

OK.... Hands up who are using these stock on zetecs, 20XE's etc etc with no problems. This always gets thrown back in my face that im going to strip all the teeth of the lay shaft on my first trip out. Am I being naive to think that a 16yr old box will take it?

John

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

omega0684

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
have you had a look inside the box to make sure its alright? is rebuilding the box an option?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
My type 9 has sucked up 175bhp for 10000 miles including sprints and trackdays and still sounds OK. Going to 200+ in the next couple of weeks so a visit to BGH might be on the cards in the near future.
Guinness

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have no idea. But my mate Paul runs a Cossie powered 4x4 Dax putting out mega BHP. He uses standard MT boxes.

When they break, they break. He bins them and fits another. When they are £50 from Ebay, you have to go through a lot of them to equal the cost of a BGH box.

Mike

David Jenkins

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
The one thing I've heard about Type 9's is that they don't like too many quick gear changes - they can break their baulk rings (sp?).

I have no direct evidence though - the story came from a magazine article I read a while back.

focijohn

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
ive had the lid off yes... good ware etc etc. Only asking because people seem to suck in alot of air when you tell them what box is being used. Never mind if it breaks ill replace it.

Must add im going to be using the T9 anyhow so ...meh.

[Edited on 13/5/09 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

bilbo

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'm probably really pushing it with 197bhp and 171 ft·lb through a type 9, but I'm thinking the same as you - if it breaks, then I'll replace it.
The lightness and lack of traction of these cars must help the life of the box, though.

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

Ratters

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bilbo
I'm probably really pushing it with 197bhp and 171 ft·lb through a type 9, but I'm thinking the same as you - if it breaks, then I'll replace it.
The lightness and lack of traction of these cars must help the life of the box, though.

i've got about the same power from my pinto going through a type 9 & i know of several other people doing the same with no problems that i know of

ss1turbo

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've had over 90k from a type 9 with 140bhp/140lb/ft through it for most of that; the last 10k it crept upto about the 180's. It rattles a bit at idle and the gearchange quality suffers when its cold. It does resist quick changes at times as well; 1st to 2nd being the worst. Still works though - although i don't expect it to last very long when the numbers are going to be in the 220-230 range shortly..

I'm going for an MT75 even though I know its not too keen on quick changes but can handle higher torques in gear.

Long live RWD...

bilbo

posted on 13/5/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ratters
quote:
Originally posted by bilbo

i've got about the same power from my pinto going through a type 9 & i know of several other people doing the same with no problems that i know of

That's good to know. One less thing to worry about when I get it on the road

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

perksy

posted on 13/5/09 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ran a Standard Type 9 on a 220bhp 176 lbs/ft VX XE for two years with no issues

Now running a Heavy duty BGH version mainly because i wanted Ratios better suited to the engine

JimM

posted on 14/5/09 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have problems selecting 1st and 2nd gear .... no issues with the rest.

Based on above does this mean I should be dumping the box and getting another ?

bimbleuk

posted on 14/5/09 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've only used a standard type 9 with only 120 lbs ft but on my 20V 4AGE thats was up to 8300 RPM. I believe that's what will kill a standard box more quickly than lots of torque.

I switched to a BGH E7 because of the high RPM I was running. The BGH box is specifically moddified to improve the oiling. Only recently have I been putting 195 lbs ft through it. They list 145-155 lbs ft against the standard boxes but see below that this is probably a conservative figure.

I spoke to BGH recently about my plans to increase the torque but they were not concerned about my figures. They list 250 lbs ft against the HD boxes but this is a conservative figure. They told me they have customers running up to 450 lbs ft before the gear teeth or shafts start to fail. Though these are not run continuously at these extreme outputs, mostly drag cars with re-builds between seasons.

I'm probably about to strip my car again and will have my box upgraded to an E8 spec. This will be a "Heavy Duty Synchro Gearbox" to address the potential failure of the baulk rings. This is not a "weakness" of the standard box in normal use only in extreme or race conditions.

flak monkey

posted on 14/5/09 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's getting past it being abused regularly, so I have decided to fit a HD type 9 when I change to the duratec.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

bimbleuk

posted on 14/5/09 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimM
I have problems selecting 1st and 2nd gear .... no issues with the rest.

Based on above does this mean I should be dumping the box and getting another ?

My BGH box is a bit reluctant to change from 1st to 2nd when launching hard. Check you are getting full movement from your clutch mechanism. Then maybe consider trying an oil such as Redline MTL or MT-90 transmission oil.

ss1turbo

posted on 14/5/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Oil can affect the 1st-2nd change - the correct spec synthetic can help this. Not necessarily a sign of a dying box though. They can stand a fair bit of abuse and tend to give warning noises long before they actually fail.

Long live RWD...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.