Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What's the best value in argon mix welding gas at the moment?
mr henderson

posted on 14/5/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
What's the best value in argon mix welding gas at the moment?

I currently rent a cylinder from Air Products through their local dealer. Annual rent is £92.77 incl VAT, and a fill up is £51 for the smallest of the big bottles, have looked at the invoice but it doesn't say what weight that is, unfortunately.

Anyway, does anyone know of a better deal? I don't use a lot, BTW, but need it there when I want it.

John

procomp

posted on 14/5/09 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Try having a look in your area for an ENERGAS agent. They do cylinders in all sizes and at a price that makes BOC and others look extremely uncompetitive.

They do not even charge you for picking your own cylinders up or charge the £11 + vat for the privilege that BOC do.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 14/5/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for energas.
I got quotes from 4 different companies, and they were the cheapest.

Al.

Myke 2463

posted on 14/5/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
No Rental

Try adams gas, £40 deposit no rental, just pay for fill up. all gasses.

Mike

aerosam

posted on 14/5/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just for comparison, I use BOC, annual rental is £56 for a size X cylinder, which is the smallest of the large cylinders. £47 for a fill up of Pureshield Argon for TIG or Argoshield light for MIG.

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

mr henderson

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately for me, Energas doesn't sem to be available south of Derby, Birmingham etc, and Adams seems to be just Kent. The BOC depot is sufficiently far to cancel out the difference in cost, so it looks like I'm stuck with AP

Never mind

John

Minicooper

posted on 15/5/09 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
I rent a PT10 size bottle which is the same diameter as the full size bottle or close but only about 3 foot high. This cost me about £60 a year and around £24 to fill from AP

Make sure your not getting stung with the minimal use surcharge, mine was about £85 and the refills were a lot more expensive until this surcharge is removed. Consider going on a 3 or 5 year plan makes it a bit cheaper again as long as you will have the welding kit for that sort of time, I'm not sure if there would be any refund if you wanted to return the bottle early

Cheers
David

Guzzisti57

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Adams isn't just Kent
I'm in High Wycombe and I've got 2 bottles from them (1 argoshield, 1 pure argon)

From my point of view they're ideal as i don't use very much, so I don't want to pay bottle rental

mr henderson

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guzzisti57
Adams isn't just Kent
I'm in High Wycombe and I've got 2 bottles from them (1 argoshield, 1 pure argon)

From my point of view they're ideal as i don't use very much, so I don't want to pay bottle rental

When you say you got it from them, do you mean they delivered it? or do they have a local agent? or did you collect it?

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.