Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 535i auto vs to be MNR
focijohn

posted on 24/5/09 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
535i auto vs to be MNR

Right call me thick but... the more i go out in my mates 535 i keep thinking as to weather i would be able to pass him once ive finally built my car.. 2.0 zetec type 9 mnr RTIB bike bodies and stock engine.
Hmmmm.....

John

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

philw

posted on 24/5/09 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Uh yeah.

Must try harder

focijohn

posted on 24/5/09 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
ta

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

nick205

posted on 24/5/09 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
with ease and by the time he's slowed 2 tonne of German steel up for the corner, eased it round and got back on the power you'll already be at the bar paying for the drinks

mr henderson

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Unless you are both on the motorway, in which case he will cruise past you without needing to turn up the radio.

ashg

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
my mate has a 760 6.0 v12 that really shifts but it allways falls down on corners.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Garage Clearout

posted on 24/5/09 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
if you stick a few corners in your drive and try and avoid straights you'll be ok.

But if you try out accelerating him from 80mph you've no chance, he'll leave you behind.

Stick to the twisties and speed limit and you'll be fine.

[Edited on 24/5/09 by Garage Clearout]

blakep82

posted on 24/5/09 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
and don't crash. i'd think he'd come out better in that too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

coozer

posted on 24/5/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
From a standing start on the motorway you'll leave for dead and it will take miles for him to catch you up, chuck in some corners and as said you'll be half way down the pint by the time he comes in

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mr henderson

posted on 24/5/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
From a standing start on the motorway you'll leave for dead

You are not really supposed to do standing starts on the motorway

"BMW's specs show that 535i, with an automatic transmission, can go from 0 to 60mph in 5.7 seconds"

Left for dead? Not really. And after 60, you've got to figure the BMW is going to start catching up, anyway

gottabedone

posted on 24/5/09 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's interseting that where 5.7 seconds is a respectable time (especially when you a shifting 2 tons of steel), when someone mentions putting this engine in a 7 weighing just under a ton (realistically) it is considered slow - all relative I suppose.

Steve

westf27

posted on 24/5/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
From a standing start on the motorway you'll leave for dead

You are not really supposed to do standing starts on the motorway

"BMW's specs show that 535i, with an automatic transmission, can go from 0 to 60mph in 5.7 seconds"

Left for dead? Not really. And after 60, you've got to figure the BMW is going to start catching up, anyway

You pissed on his fire,beat me to it.Comparisons would be better against a similar vehicle.If only I could drive mine in a better way,the car would be faster.I'm slowly coming round to a trackday I think.

smart51

posted on 24/5/09 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I was passed once by a BMW diesel estate. I was flat out and could not keep up. I was doing 115 mph at Silverstone, mind, and peak power is at 103 MPH in top. Damn those long straights.
nick205

posted on 27/5/09 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I was passed once by a BMW diesel estate. I was flat out and could not keep up. I was doing 115 mph at Silverstone, mind, and peak power is at 103 MPH in top. Damn those long straights.

...I'll bet he still didn't indicate either did he

DarrenW

posted on 27/5/09 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
If its a modern 535i i doubt you will beat it. Probs give it a good fight, even get in front on the twisty bits but the beemer will have a lot more grunt on the straighter sections.

iank

posted on 27/5/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on the rules of engagement. On road and keeping to 'roughly' the speed limits you'll cream pretty much any tintop on acceleration up to around 70mph, braking and speed in the twisties.

On a track with no speed limits, as said, it depends on whether it's straight or corner heavy.

The above is assuming similar levels of driver competence and commitment.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

snapper

posted on 30/5/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Interseting thread, I have just come back from testing the Megajolt and took a blat down a well known stretch of wide, long, single track clearway with roundabouts every 2 miles, came up against a BMW, looked like a new 5 series but only had N8 on the back ( yes N8) twin exhausts, 5 door. He nailed it, I was strangely drawn to give chase, caught him (just) using 7000rpm in second 6500 in third, bit of traffic so no heroics, I felt i could not have got past unless he backed off.
This is with an off colour Pinto with 285 cam.
But what is a BMW with N8 on the back???

Went straight back to the workshop to fiddle with the new 2.1 block, race head and the choice of 3 cams i have sitting around.

I wanted to be all over him not just sitting behind making him wonder whether he was faster or not.

[Edited on 30/5/09 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

nick205

posted on 10/8/09 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
A quick Google on "BMW N8" seems to suggest there is a BMW motorbike racer called Nate Kern, often referred to as N8 Kern.

Maybe you were up againsta professional racer

Also, I have to ask, did he indicate at any point during your time together

neilj37

posted on 16/8/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I am running a 2.0L Zetec with the Weber Alpha Gold kit on. Best 0-60 time i have managed so far is 5.4 secs but had wheel spin off the start and fluffed the gear change from 2nd to 3rd. Looking at the telemetry I reckon some time between 4.5 & 5.0secs would be attainable.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.