Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Some oil questions ?
Kosmo

posted on 5/6/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Some oil questions ?

I'm off to Le Mans next week and want to make sure all is OK regarding my oil....

1) I use Halfords 10/40 semi synthtic at the momment but was thinking of putting a better quality - Can I do this ? If so what do you reccomend ?

2) What temeperature should I expect the oil temp to be, just driving around the temperature is between 85-92 degrees, if a drive hard it can go up to 112 degrees ?

Cheers,
Kosmo

Canada EH!

posted on 5/6/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
150 is looking for trouble with most oils, full synthetic is better for heat protection.
Changing from semi to full synthetic is not a problem. New or rebuilt engines should not run synthetic till worn in.

Guinness

posted on 5/6/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kosmo
I'm off to Le Mans next week and want to make sure all is OK regarding my oil....

1) I use Halfords 10/40 semi synthtic at the momment but was thinking of putting a better quality - Can I do this ? If so what do you reccomend ?

2) What temeperature should I expect the oil temp to be, just driving around the temperature is between 85-92 degrees, if a drive hard it can go up to 112 degrees ?

Cheers,
Kosmo

You lucky, lucky man, going to Le Mans in your car!

1. Oil. If you've been using semi synth, I wouldn't bother changing to fully synth. General opinion seems to be that if a clutch has been used in one and you change to the other you'll get clutch slip. I used Castrol GPS 4T 10W-40 which smells nice and is a nice red colour. No idea if it's any better than the Halfords own brand stuff. Halfords own brand changed frequently may be better than expensive stuff changed infrequently.

2. I run a ZZR so different engine, but I was regularly seeing oil temps on the track / driven hard at 120C, which I thought excessive. Fitted a new oil cooler and it runs at between 80 and 90C on the open road, peaking at 110C when run VERY hard. So I guess your oil temps look within an acceptable range.

HTH

Mike

Hellfire

posted on 5/6/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
1) Halfords 10/40 semi synthetic will be absolutely fine and unless you're due for an oil change, I wouldn't bother changing it specifically for the journey to Le Mans. If you do want/need to change it, I would recommend Castrol Power 1 GPS 4T.

2) Your oil temperature should generally be between 80 and 90 degrees but it obviously depends how hard you're driving it and how efficient your cooling system is. The only time we see 112 degrees is on track. If you're seeing this kind of temperature on a regular basis with road driving, I'd be looking at ways to improve the cooling with the last consideration being to fit a separate oil cooler.

Phil

britishtrident

posted on 5/6/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Use the oil your engine manufacturer recommends if they are happy with fully synthetic run fully synthetic.

Normally 15 degrees above water temperature is fine.
The big danger is getting stuck in mid summer "le weekend" traffic and oil temperure soaring. If you have a fan overide switch turn it on before the temperature starts to build.

Some fwd car engines run into trouble with mineral oils and semi-synthetic oil because the exhaust runs very close to the sump, this can cause a the very small volume of oil in contact with this part of the sump to get very hot and carbonise --- you shouldn't have this problem.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Kosmo

posted on 6/6/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Oil cooler is the next mod to be done.... not before Le mans thou.

Perhaps I'm just a little cautious because of the long journey, Bettter get some Euro breakdown cover for piece of mind

Cheers,
Kosmo.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.