Author: Subject: I think we're all getting a £30 fine
RoadkillUK

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think we're all getting a £30 fine

Sound meters tackle noisy drivers

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Are them levels right? I think the BBC may have been mistaken there.

blakep82

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
lol so while a car is legal for SVA, its not legal for the police? its a joke...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cloudy

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
I can prove my vehicle was certified for the road at 101dB limit, they can't just change the goalposts... Wouldn't worry about it...

James

www.warnercars.com

Guinness

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
"Vehicle noise levels should be between 82 and 89 decibels and background noise between 50 and 60 decibels"

Eh?

So why was the SVA limit 101?

They'd get no money from me.

Mike

m8kwr

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
What is the maximum decibel level of an iva test? I can not find it anywhere in the manual?
blakep82

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
"Vehicle noise levels should be between 82 and 89 decibels and background noise between 50 and 60 decibels"

Eh?

So why was the SVA limit 101?

They'd get no money from me.

Mike

must make cars at 81db 'illegal' too then

i'm pretty sure the police would have to have someone from vosa test the car? or has that changed? there used to be things like that vosa had to check. i bet the police weren't checking them right either. i bet they were just holding the meter 'somewhere near'

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've written to them (Devon + Cambridge police to ask)
omega0684

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
you have to think though that our cars are test @ 3/4 max power, so you would have to be sat at idle reving to 4000 odd revs to get a ticket, the only other time you would be doing that its 80-90 mph on the motorway, then you'd get stopped for speeding as well!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by m8kwr
What is the maximum decibel level of an iva test? I can not find it anywhere in the manual?

section 1, noise. must have a measured sound level not exceeding 99dba

it also says its measured at 500mm, aren't all sound level reading supposed to be taken at 1m?

Steve G

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Whats the email address? Lets swamp them with questions. It doesnt even state at what revs the noise emissions were tested!!!

mistergrumpy

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
The police aren't quoted as giving any levels there. It's a statement made by the reporter, the BBC!
SteveWalker

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
There's no mention of measuring distance, these are some typical figures:

Threshold of hearing
0 dB

Motorcycle (30 feet)
88 dB

Rustling leaves
20 dB

Foodblender (3 feet)
90 dB

Quiet whisper (3 feet)
30 dB

Subway (inside)
94 dB

Quiet home
40 dB

Diesel truck (30 feet)
100 dB

Quiet street
50 dB

Power mower (3 feet)
107 dB

Normal conversation
60 dB

Pneumatic riveter (3 feet)
115 dB

Inside car
70 dB

Chainsaw (3 feet)
117 dB

Loud singing (3 feet)
75 dB

Amplified Rock and Roll (6 feet)
120 dB

Automobile (25 feet)
80 dB

Jet plane (100 feet)
130 dB

The EU directive seems to state 7.5m from the centreline of the vehicle's path of travel. So assuming a side exit exhaust 1m from centreline, that means a measurent at 6.5m.

So that is 6.5 x the distance used in SVA and the noise will have reduced from 101dB to 84.74dB

[Edited on 22/6/09 by SteveWalker]

Macbeast

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
What do they mean "background noise" ?

Have they specified the weighting curve to be used ?

Will they fine Wimbledon tennis players ?

[Edited on 22/6/09 by Macbeast]

Steve G

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
The police aren't quoted as giving any levels there. It's a statement made by the reporter, the BBC!

There has got to be guidelines about how these measurements are taken though - just like there are at SVA / IVA. If there arent then its yet another legal nightmare in the making

BenB

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/v3/contfrms/enquiry/enqForm.asp

here's mine:

Dear Devon & Cornwall constabulary,

re: noise polution from cars (press release ID 2145). Can I ask at what distance the noise is measured and what cut-off is used? The reason that I ask is that I have a car which is fully road legal and registered and has succesfully passed the single vehicle application test and has not been significantly altered since VOSA declared it road legal for noise emissions. I would quite like to come to Devon but am wary after reading these reports. Can I ask under what remit these £30 fines are made? Is it for stationary cars or cars in transit? Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 or maybe Police Reform Act 2002, section 59??

In the SVA test the exhaust must record a decibel level of or below 101 db(A). This test is done at the level of the exhaust or 200mm from ground level which ever is greater, placed 500mm away from the exhaust outlet at a 45 degree angle to said outlet. The engine is run at a speed between two thirds and three quarters of it’s maximum to achieve the recording.

Would it not seem bizarre if a driver could leave a SVA test centre in your constabulary (Exeter for example) having been passed by a VOSA engineer at 100dB (under controlled conditions) but then immediately be fined immediately upon leaving for being excessive by the road
side?

I would appreciate some clarification in this regard.

Many thanks,

Ben

Garage Clearout

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Check your V5, all new cars have the noise recorded on them at both static and drive by, so it's safe to say that if your car should be 86db's at 5000rpm and it's closer too 100db's then you've either got a knackered system or you've altered it.

The vehicles in question i'm sure will be boy racer types and that's the reason for the fine, they'll have far lower listed db reading then they recorded when stopped by the police.

As all kitcars aren't built to a recorded db limit other than the 101db's then i say it's safe to assume that the police wouldn't bother you, and even if they did you could get it over turned.

mistergrumpy

posted on 22/6/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Phil you're right but in that piece of reporting by the BBC, it seems that it is they that quote the noise and not the police. What I'm saying is it seems that the BBC are talking out of their jacksies, for a change.
rusty nuts

posted on 22/6/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cambridge police???

MakeEverything

posted on 22/6/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I would fight this all the way through magistrates court. You have to pay the fine by law, and can be prosecuted for not doing so i believe, but you can appeal it and take it all the way for a refund and costs.
The system is set up the same as speeding. You pay first, argue later and the system is as bureaucratic as it can be, and as awkward as can be designed to make you give up.

Its the same with Criminal Convictions. You get convicted, then you can appeal, but if you do, they have the authority to INCREASE the original sentence! How fked up is that.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

BenB

posted on 22/6/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:

Cambridge police???

Whoops Good spot!!!!

coozer

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Bit confusing.. SVA test is without any load on the engine so isn't as loud as accelerating. My car makes a great noise with the pedal down accelerating but backing off at 70mph which is 3000rpm in my car it settles down to a low growl. A lot of the noise is induction as well which is much greater with the throttle wide open.

It was way under the 101 limit at SVA at 95.

Thing is in this police state how can you convince the knobber it was OK at SVA????

How does he know if you have a "modified" exhaust as most of ours are one off anyway?

And the most important thing is "Loud exhausts save lives"

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
It figures, yep, Devon and Cornwall. Real hotspots of antisocialness. We have rent-a-cop patrolling the beaches, should anyone open a bottle of beer, or light a BBQ (not that anyone's here anymore), old brummies moaning about everything, endlessly. Really great place to live.
Anyway, yep, I don't think us non-type approved jockeys really need to worry here. Is there really a noise limit on a non-TA V5? Didn't realise that.
Mind you, the moped riders and sport-bikers with empty cans might have to worry.
Castle Combe standard drive-by meters on the road, coming soon on the Hoe I bet, linked to your bank account. Hell, we've got a 125 Billion pound black hole to pay for....

BenB

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Are you not allowed to drink on the beach?? Sheez, whatever next.....
wilkingj

posted on 23/6/09 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ah... You are ALL missing the point.
We are all sensible on here.

This is aimed at the "Yo' Bro' Init a Grate Sound Mait" brigade.

If you are stupid enough to use 7000 rpm down a sea front, with the police in attendance, then you get what you deserve.

I am absolutely sure that the people on this forum have much more sense that the "Init Grate Mait" brigade.

I didnt think you had to pay the on the spot fine, surely you can elect to go to court?
Where you can produce your copy of the Vosa docs with the figures for your car, and a copy of the SVA manual. You could probably argue the point successfully.

I can understand the Police and residents, and what with the summer coming, the pratts drag racing up and down the sea fronts (and usually after a beer or three).
etc etc

Think about it. We usually reserve our spirited driving to the open country, and the Track Days, not the sea front where there are loads of people to mow down.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.