access the numbers. It is easy to unsubscribe but it must be done
before the beginning of next week to make sure that you are ex
directory. We have all unsubscribed and you may want to suggest it to
all your friends and family who have UK mobiles or they could be
swamped by unsolicited messages and calls. Removal is recommended by
the BBC - see link below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/8091621.stm

bbc website recommending to do this.

The Directory of Mobile Phone numbers goes live next week.
All numbers including those belonging to children will be open to cold
calling and the general abuse that less scrupulous telesales people
subject us too.

To remove your number go here. (you need your mobile phone with you to
do this, they text you a code)

http://www.118800.co.uk/removeme/remove.html

Click on HOMEPAGE under the bubble headed Our Promises and then select
Ex-directory at the top of the following screen, then follow the on
screen instructions.

You can remove your number from this list, and tell all your friends -
especially those with children who have mobile phones. I personally
believe my mobile number is private and I should be able to chose who
I give it to - none of us agreed to this when we signed our mobile
phone contracts.

The other option is to send a text to them but that costs you a text,
i.e. text the letter ‘E’ to 118800!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

cd.thomson

posted on 9/7/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
there are widespread rumours that this is fraudulent iiyama, its been posted on here a few times.

The internet buzz is this is a way to get peoples numbers, rather than for you to be taken off their list. This is reflected in the chain mail type email flooding peoples inboxes.

I've searched for me on their system and I'm not on there.

Even if the system is completely legit, then it only allows for them to ask if you want to have a call connected via text.

[Edited on 9/7/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

iiyama

posted on 9/7/09 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Had quite a large slot on Radio 2's Jeremy Vine show a week or two back, so not altogether sure that its fraudulent. Just had the below email from a friend who's not had over very easily and is also a software engineer which for me sorta validates it somewhat.

Just my ten pence worth. Up to you if you act on it or not....

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

blakep82

posted on 9/7/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
awww, no! not again!
if you go to thier search page and actually search for anyone you know, no one's name comes up. i went through and tried searching for loads of folk, and it didn't find anyone. however, if you put your number in to be 'removed' i reckon they'll sell your info to other places

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

SteveWalker

posted on 9/7/09 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
The new directory is real enough. You will be able to phone, give someones details and then they can connect you to their mobile - they *will not* be giving out numbers. It is unlikely to cause any problems with cold callers, as what company is going to want to pay a fee and spend time going through the process just on the off-chance that you might be interested in their product. Unless you've got a specific person that you don't want contacting you, then I don't see a problem.
Rob Palin

posted on 9/7/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure it's actually real or is it just the latest version of this old scam?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

BenB

posted on 9/7/09 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
But if you do the online ex-directory you don't need to give your name... so apart from it getting them a number in-use what else does it do?!?!?!
fov

posted on 9/7/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
After dealing with this most of the day today (600 users all recieved a chain email off a helpful person) I can confirm the only way they would have your number is if you have agreed for it to be sold. They apparently have very few vodafone numbers.
If you do recieve a call which is passed through from them vodafone are saying contact the directory then. Otherwise you are just confirming the name associated with the phone.

iank

posted on 9/7/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
It's a real company not a scam. Look here for details on how it's supposed to work.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8092271.stm

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

iank

posted on 9/7/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fov
After dealing with this most of the day today (600 users all recieved a chain email off a helpful person) I can confirm the only way they would have your number is if you have agreed for it to be sold. They apparently have very few vodafone numbers.
If you do recieve a call which is passed through from them vodafone are saying contact the directory then. Otherwise you are just confirming the name associated with the phone.

The first part is not true. They bought thousands of numbers from companies databases when the mobile operators told them to get lost.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

JoelP

posted on 9/7/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by fov

The first part is not true. They bought thousands of numbers from companies databases when the mobile operators told them to get lost.

if they have a number and you havent given it to them, and your phone operator hasnt either, then it can only come from a third party. That third party must've had it off you at another time and they cannot share it unless you gave them permission to (the tick boxes in most privacy sections).

Or am i wrong?

iank

posted on 9/7/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by fov

if they have a number and you havent given it to them, and your phone operator hasnt either, then it can only come from a third party. That third party must've had it off you at another time and they cannot share it unless you gave them permission to (the tick boxes in most privacy sections).

Or am i wrong?

Correct I'd bet a small wager that 90 something % of people don't tick the boxes (or tick them incorrectly due to the deliberately complicated wording). Plenty of companies ask for mobile numbers these days as well as landline, and a lot of people use their mobile as their main phone so will automatically put it down.

Lots of big companies will sell their databases, or subsets of the database, they get big money for them. The list brokers buy lists and build them into even bigger lists they then sell on.

--
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.