Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shells gone or not too gone, that is the question!
bi22le

posted on 8/8/09 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Shells gone or not too gone, that is the question!

Hi all
Still trying to diagnose exactly what is going on with my engine so I thought ill put a post up to keep you up to date or inform others.
I have a GSXR 1000 K4. The oil is fresh and to the correct level. When the oil is warm on tick over the pressure can drop low. I have seen it reach 3 PSI but not since I have changed the oil and kept an I on the level (It did have a lack of oil in it). It now sits at about 6 PSI although I do need to test further.
I have two sides of the argument:
1) When I changed the oil there were no signs of wear. No metal fragments. There is no knocking or noise from the engine. Even with a good ear and a hollow rod and a long listen. The pressure picks well and fast. A slight rev increase of 500 RPM will increase the oil pressure to about 10 - 12 PSI. It gets about 80 PSI at high revs.
2) Essentially the oil pressure is low, I have heard too low to float the shells. The sender seems to be working and reading right (although I will double and triple check this). It may have been run for a while with only approx 1 liter of oil.
What do you guys think? Something or nothing to worry about?

I will be getting some one to look at the engine shortly but I have a track day booked on 27th Aug so need to be sure before I go. I will cancel, rebuild and rebook if I need to but would rather I didn't.
Thanks in advance for any info or feedback. Thanks to others that have already given me advice. Im not ignoring just not diving in to unnecessary work and costs. Or sort of hoping it wont come to that!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

afj

posted on 8/8/09 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
RUNNING WITH 1 L OF OIL IS BAD but the oil pressures you speak of sound ok 3psi at idle is to low but 6psi is fine

[Edited on 8/8/09 by afj]

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dangle_kt

posted on 8/8/09 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
dont forget to delete this thread before you sell the engine package....
mookaloid

posted on 8/8/09 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

Why has someone else recently done that - as in reported an engine problem and then deleted the thread and then offered it for sale????

ooooooh you can't trust anyone nowadays

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

200mph

posted on 8/8/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

Why has someone else recently done that - as in reported an engine problem and then deleted the thread and then offered it for sale????

ooooooh you can't trust anyone nowadays

One person spings to mind..... maybe others though

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.