Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Filler Position
tilly819

posted on 7/12/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Filler Position

Hi all,

Quick Question
Is it better to put the fuel filler in the back panel/ side panel or in the boot lid
As i have heard rummers that in one of the locations its a bi**h to fill up coz the petrol pump at the filli9ng station keeps cutting out but carnt remember which one it is ither top or side mounted filler..
chears

Tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/12/09 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
personally the only place I'd put it is in the top panel as far forward as possible to help prevent damage to the cap in a rear end shunt and having fuel spill all over the place. It is also about the easiest place to fill up, my beach buggy has it there (though its fuel tank is above the engine )

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
afj

posted on 7/12/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
EASYER TO FILL IF FITTED THE THE REAR PANEL TOP MINES IN THE BACK OF THE REAR PANEL AND ITS NOT TO MUCH BOTHER TO FILL

[Edited on 7/12/09 by afj]

opps caps lock on

[Edited on 7/12/09 by afj]

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Project7

posted on 7/12/09 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
My filler cap in mounted on the top panel and I have no problems at the pump.
Bluemoon

posted on 7/12/09 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Top panel is probably simplest, thing to think about is how you will cover the boot if you go that way...

Dan

James

posted on 7/12/09 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Top panel is best in terms of filling... worst in terms of water/crap maybe getting in when you open the lid.

Your choice!

Mine's in the top.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

tilly819

posted on 7/12/09 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the quick replys, my original plan was to have a hard top on the bbot so i would have it in the top but now i think im going have have a soft cover but wanted to chack filling via the rear panel but that seems ok, so thats great thanks

Tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

coozer

posted on 7/12/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Originally had mine vertical on the back panel, total bas***d to fill, moved it to the boot lid and its much better.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

andrew-theasby

posted on 7/12/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Isnt there a new rule in the IVA where it cant overflow into the cockpit area, so youd have to build a lip around it if you do it on the top panel so it overflows off the back.
speedyxjs

posted on 7/12/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
The one that is supposed to be a bitch to fill is when it is on the top (facing up) however my tintop is like this and i have never had any problems.

ETA my locost will also have this setup

[Edited on 7-12-09 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

ReMan

posted on 7/12/09 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
On the back panel can be tricky , but usually because the cap is rapidly followed by a sharp 90deg ben to the tank.
If you fit a sweeping bend then it's not soo bad at all

Steve Hignett

posted on 7/12/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
No it isn't.
The reputed position for GOOD fill-ups is in the boot lid, then fuel just travels down one pipe.
It's a pain when it's in the back panel as it is then usually followed by a 90degree bend (see above, and other peoples remarks) and that prevents fuel from entering the tank quickly and cut's the pump...

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
The one that is supposed to be a bitch to fill is when it is on the top (facing up) however my tintop is like this and i have never had any problems.

speedyxjs

posted on 8/12/09 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
No it isn't.
The reputed position for GOOD fill-ups is in the boot lid, then fuel just travels down one pipe.
It's a pain when it's in the back panel as it is then usually followed by a 90degree bend (see above, and other peoples remarks) and that prevents fuel from entering the tank quickly and cut's the pump...

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs

Sorry. My info was taken from TG XJR road test

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/12/09 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Before the Locost I had a long string of X19's - they are a bitch to fill at the pumps, they fill from the top of the tank (which is behind the passenger seat)

So, with the Locost, I put the filler in the rear panel, measured the radius of the filler nozzles so they wouldgo in easily, and guess what - its a bitch to fill at the pumps

Ho hum!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

ReMan

posted on 8/12/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Before the Locost I had a long string of X19's - they are a bitch to fill at the pumps, they fill from the top of the tank (which is behind the passenger seat)

So, with the Locost, I put the filler in the rear panel, measured the radius of the filler nozzles so they wouldgo in easily, and guess what - its a bitch to fill at the pumps

Ho hum!

Well it made me laugh, sorry!

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/12/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I think the secret is a REALLY big air return pipe to the filler neck, neither the X19 or the locost exceed 10mm

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.