Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Daylight running lamps
alistairolsen

posted on 31/3/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Daylight running lamps

Normal cars have sidelights then dip and main, some (mainly swedish) cars run with "daylight running lamps" which are just dip on in place of sidelights.

Im aware this is illegal in France, but for UK use, is there anything which requires you to maintain your sidelights provided that when your headlight switch is in the sidelight position your dip beam bulbs are on?

Hope that made sense

cheers!

My Build Thread

blakep82

posted on 31/3/10 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
all cars from next year have to have them, like audi and some mercs already do. don't see the point myself...

they have to do stupid stuff like turn off when the indicators are on. not sure about when headlights are on though.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

iank

posted on 31/3/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
They have to turn off when the headlights are on according to:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=123240

quote:
blakep82
they have to do stupid stuff like turn off when the indicators are on

Do you have a reference, that sounds bonkers - and I can't remember seeing one of the Christmas light strip Audi's doing that.

Here's some info from the EU about the requirements (not read it myself yet).

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/automotive/safety/daytime-running-light/index_en.htm

[Edited on 31/3/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

big_wasa

posted on 31/3/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
God thats not for iva aswell is it ?

I must get my finger out.

iank

posted on 31/3/10 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Not yet, but it's bound to come in eventually.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 31/3/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
They have to turn off when the headlights are on according to:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=123240

quote:
blakep82
they have to do stupid stuff like turn off when the indicators are on

Do you have a reference, that sounds bonkers - and I can't remember seeing one of the Christmas light strip Audi's doing that.

Here's some info from the EU about the requirements (not read it myself yet).

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/automotive/safety/daytime-running-light/index_en.htm

i read it somewhere, but can't remember where. was watching an audi indicating the other day, it was going right, and the right hand leds only went off, leaving the left hand ones on. i'd seen another one doing it a few months back, thought it was broken already til it went round the corner and they came back on

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 31/3/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Not yet, but it's bound to come in eventually.

still says optional in the manual. for now

alistairolsen

posted on 31/3/10 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
yes, but thats permanent sidelights. Im talking about running on dip instead of sidelights by simply not having sidelights....

Is there a requirement for a separate circuit and bulbs or just to have working marker lights with the switch in the sidelight position? (I know its an mot fail if the standard system just has blown bulbs or whatever)

My Build Thread

lsdweb

posted on 31/3/10 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I've got them on my new Audi (S6) - they are very good for being seen but because they are quite low on the S6, other cars sometimes think they're fog lamps so I get flashed occasionally! Audi put 5 LEDs on each side of the S6 because it has the V10 – nice touch :-)

matt_claydon

posted on 31/3/10 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
To answer the OP - you must have separate position lamps.

But note that DRL are a very specific type of lamp with special requirements - they are not equivalent to just driving around with dipped beam on, and they are equally quite different from normal position lamps.

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 31/3/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
thats right - next year they are legal requirement for all new cars coming into the uk to be fitted with daytime running lights (DTRL). the ones we make now work independantly of the dip circuit.. so on the switch you have

off - this is when the DTRL is on (with ign on)
side - DTRL switches off going to side lights
dip - well its just the head light dip
main - same as

the DTRL are just the dip lights not seperate bulbs just made to operate at a different on position

think thats right from memory - not at work..

matt_claydon

posted on 31/3/10 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by :{THC}:YosamiteSam
the DTRL are just the dip lights not seperate bulbs just made to operate at a different on position

Actually, DRLs are a different type of lamp, with different light output and angle of visibility requirements to both position lamps and dipped-beam headlamps.

blakep82

posted on 31/3/10 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
i don't see the point in them.
if you can't see something from 500kg to 3.5 tons coming at you, what difference is a few extra lights going to make?

britishtrident

posted on 31/3/10 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Pre roughly 1930 some cars were wired so that the side lights went off when the headlamps were switched on, in those days they could also get away with one tail lamp combined with the number plate light and no stop lights. Indicators were still two decades away and even pathetic trafficators were not yet invented.

In the 1970s some nothern european countries required the front and rear position lights to come on with the ignition and the front lamps to be fitted with 10watt bulbs rather than 5watt.

The UK tried to get the very sensible "Dim Dip" system standardised where when both the side lights and ignition are switched on the head lamps illuminate but this was blocked as a euro standard by the French.

However very shortly we will all be buying cars fitted with LED DRLs . DRLs must illuminated when the engine is started and go off when the head lamps are switched on.

[Edited on 31/3/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

iDENTITi

posted on 31/3/10 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i don't see the point in them.
if you can't see something from 500kg to 3.5 tons coming at you, what difference is a few extra lights going to make?

If you cant see a tonne of car driving at you, what hope in hell do cyclists and motorcyclists have? I'm with you on how stupid these sound..

jacko

posted on 31/3/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
And driving lamps are to dam bright
Bikes seem to dazzle you/ me which makes it dangers for vehicles following them

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 31/3/10 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked and mine don't go off with the indicators or lights.

sebastiaan

posted on 31/3/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
This is why:

Since only about 50% of all reported accidents in the EU occur when DRL-
effects apply, savings must be factored accordingly. Full application of
DRL across all EU countries would, therefore, yield the annual prevention
of :
-5,500 fatalities;
-155,000 registered injured persons;
-740,000 registered accidents;
-1.9 million accidents involving insurance claims.

From a 1997 SWOV report that can be found here: http://www.swov.nl/rapport/r-97-36.pdf

blakep82

posted on 31/3/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sebastiaan
This is why:

Since only about 50% of all reported accidents in the EU occur when DRL-
effects apply, savings must be factored accordingly. Full application of
DRL across all EU countries would, therefore, yield the annual prevention
of :
-5,500 fatalities;
-155,000 registered injured persons;
-740,000 registered accidents;
-1.9 million accidents involving insurance claims.

From a 1997 SWOV report that can be found here: http://www.swov.nl/rapport/r-97-36.pdf

i totally understand that, and yes it may reduce accidents, but its a bit like saying that all road accidents involve cars running on petrol or diesel, so if all cars ran on electricity, then there'd be no accidents. which there will.
DRLs may reduce things a bit for the first 5 years or so, but people will get lazy on other things instead

sebastiaan

posted on 31/3/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Even if the effect only lasts 5 years, that's 27,500 lives saved and 620.000 less people injured. What if just one of those would have been you or a loved one? As there are no proven negative side effects from DTRL's (according to the SWOV, who should know what they are on about as they are the dutch experts on road safety) I think it's a no-brainer, really.
lsdweb

posted on 31/3/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've not looked at the scientific reports but I can vouch for the fact that I get noticed on the road a lot more in the new car which has these lights.

blakep82

posted on 31/3/10 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
i just think that once every car has them, the ones to watch out for won't stand out any more. if you can't see a whole car coming at you, what difference will a couple of LEDs make?

yes, lsdweb you may stand out, but i really think thats because its something different you have. once its standard we'll be back where we are

ss1turbo

posted on 5/4/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
DRL's...well, I believe the DoT are currently not very happy with Audi (and a few others) as their "rope" lights apparently don't meet the UK regs. They're also not happy with the rear light arrangement (I nearly crashed into a new Passat last week as his red/amber flashing indicator wasn't exactly visible).

I've recently got a VW Scirocco (it's a 10 plate) and i don't know why they fitted a lights switch - doesn't matter where you put the dial, they're always on!

Long live RWD...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.