Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tintop Tyres - Choosing, inc Age and Speed Ratings?
dhutch

posted on 7/5/10 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Tintop Tyres - Choosing, inc Age and Speed Ratings?

Ive just notices a split that runs about 3/4 of the way round one of the front tyres on the peugeot which combined with the fact that both rubbish and nearly down to the wear marks means im well due a new pair.

Size is 185 / 65 R14

Its got Mich Energys on the rear, so i thought i might put them on the front, and put a new pair of the same on rear.

However things on my mind are:
- Michelin Energys are rated at both T rating (118mph) for £50 and H (130mph) for £65 is there any point in geting the H's for the extra £30. The car is rated at a top speed of 119mph but isnt going to see that often.
- The energys on the rear are a bit old, hence the reason to put them on the front and get some wear into them, but at what point is a tyre two old. Tread looks fine. But there 5 years old and there are hairline cracks visible in the side wall.
- For the £50 mark, are the any better tyres that i should be considering. For a car thats driven fairly spiritedly and also does a fair bit of towing near its limit (ie, towing the kitcar)

Might be selling car at some point in the next year, but at the same time, for £100 i should have fitted new tyres a year ago. And ive booked in for a 95db day at anglesey which if the kit car doesnt get through i will be doing in the 306.

Daniel

dhutch

posted on 7/5/10 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
In terms of buying them;
- Blackcircles.com
- Mytyres.co.uk
- Camskills any others?

mid-buggy

posted on 7/5/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
costco
alistairolsen

posted on 7/5/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I hate paying for brand names when youre buying pants tyres, so unless youre getting something special avoid paying out just cos its michelin (which I dont rate anyway)

Speed ratings..... Can of worms, as its not max speed at all. IMO, no, not worth it. either or will happily manage normal motorway speeds.

If your tyres have hairline cracks in them then get them changed, at this point they have aged until the rubber has lost its elasticity which is why they are cracked.

For recommendations, vredestien hitracs are pretty good (46 on camskill), otherwise I normally got for uniroyal rainsports or kumho ku31s.

My Build Thread

dhutch

posted on 7/5/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Seems to be a fair bt of support for the Kumho's , which ive personally not really had anything to do with.

The suggestion of the Mich Energys was just that they keep popping up and the ones on the rear are miles better than the Admiral tyres on the front even at 5yo. However i dont seem to be the only to think there an all right tyre. Uniroyal rainsports have had a few shout outs too, along with Goodyear NCT 5's and Michelin Pilots, and ofcause the OEM tyre is the Conti. My housemate has Pirelli P6000's and says there awefull in the wet so thats out. Goodyear?

dhutch

posted on 25/5/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cant seem to find the KU31's in the size.

Any thoughts on the FIRESTONE TZ200

Atm its a toss up between these, or the vredestien hitrac.

Daniel

Ninehigh

posted on 26/5/10 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
The speed rating is how fast they're tested. Iirc it means you can travel at that speed for 10 mins before they'll blow.

Have a look at the load index too, you'll find the current ones are probably way more than your car weighs but you've got people and caravan too..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.