Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost Airbox?
RazMan

posted on 16/12/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Locost Airbox?

Has anybody figured out a Locost version of the Piper PX600 airbox?

A remarkably simple design ... but a very complicated price
There must be a cheaper way eh guys?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 16/12/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Well it shouldn't be seeing any significant vacuum, (as you are using ITBs) so why not have a look around until you find some ready made plastic box etc that will fit the space available. Alternatively I suppose making something bespoke in GRPor ally is the way to go

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

blue2cv

posted on 16/12/10 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I may have a spare similar arrangement kicking about somewhere, if i get chance i'll have a look if interested
Richard Quinn

posted on 16/12/10 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've thought about this type of thing and I'm sure, with mine being a V twin, I could use a modified butty box.
nick205

posted on 16/12/10 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
I've thought about this type of thing and I'm sure, with mine being a V twin, I could use a modified butty box.

Same thought occurred to me - I'm sure there must be some suitably sized tupperware items

RazMan

posted on 16/12/10 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blue2cv
I may have a spare similar arrangement kicking about somewhere, if i get chance i'll have a look if interested

You have my undivided attention Mr B

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 16/12/10 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
I could use a modified butty box.

You must have huge butties for your lunch, or maybe you have a 400mm long Sub Roll!

How about some form of trunking? - it would need to be (in my case) about 450mm long, 100mm wide & 50mm deep.
.... and I need 2 of 'em.

*edit* Found this but it's plastic and I doubt it would stand the heat NEW trunking cable wire tidy 50mm x 100mm 1M length on eBay (end time 28-Dec-10 14:00:43 GMT)

If I can make a buck, I could mould it with fibreglass

[Edited on 16-12-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

MikeR

posted on 16/12/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Trunking that size ......... sounds a bit like guttering to me.
RK

posted on 16/12/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
do a search. Steve H has a vid here somewhere showing what he's done in CF. He makes it look simple, which we know is not exactly the case!
martyn_16v

posted on 16/12/10 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I spent several days making a buck to mould something similar, realised the shape I'd made couldn't release unless I made the mould in about five parts, and gave in and knocked one up in ally in about 3 hours

I'd still like to re-visit moulding one eventually, but it's not likely to happen any time soon.

RazMan

posted on 16/12/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I found a really good video about making a mould - certainly LOOKS easy enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKrl1PPvliQ

Some of the guttering profiles look good - I am thinking the 115mm half round cast ally might be useful. They even have end caps which simplifies things a bit but the trouble is there's going to be quite a bit of welding to graft on the intakes. It's a pity I can't use a TIG

[Edited on 16-12-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

Davegtst

posted on 16/12/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Look at the state of his fingernails. Come on dude you're on TV.
username

posted on 16/12/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
Look at the state of his fingernails. Come on dude you're on TV.

You've obviously never met him if you think that's a bad state of fingernails, that's the cleanest he's Ever been!

MakeEverything

posted on 16/12/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Could have had a shave and tidy workspace too!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

RazMan

posted on 17/12/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
If you need to mould a fully enclosed box (like an airbox) making a conventional buck would be impossible as you wouldn't be able to remove it. I was thinking about the possiblity of using candle wax as a buck, encasing the whole thing in fibreglass, then cutting the required holes and finally heating it up with a hot air gun to melt the wax - voila!

Cheers,
Raz

andrew-theasby

posted on 17/12/10 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
I was thinking about the possiblity of using candle wax as a buck, encasing the whole thing in fibreglass, then cutting the required holes and finally heating it up with a hot air gun to melt the wax - voila!

How about polystyrene too, wouldnt be as nice inside, but same idea. Acetone would dissolve it nicely!

RazMan

posted on 17/12/10 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Aha! If you use polystyrene foam and wrap it in parcel tape, it will have smooth finish on the inside. 2 layers of heavy glass mat should do the job - a good hi-build primer will give a reasonable finish on the outside.

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.