Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Planning Permission Advice......
Bumble

posted on 28/12/10 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Planning Permission Advice......

Hello all,
After some tips / pointers from anyone on here in the know or with experience of objecting to planning permission. My mum lives in a 100 year old cottage (there's two of them) in a small lane. Both were bought by a builder several years ago and re-furbished / modernised internally to a high standard. The builder kept back a portion of land and now.....7 years later......has applied for planning permission to build a 3 Bed detached property there. To say it will ruin the view over open countryside for my mum is a an understatement not t0 mention that the house will almost completely fill the small plot with little / no garden.
I have the plans and there are some points I want to make regarding restricting light, parking, overlooking her garden etc but are there any do's & dont's when objecting?? Any tips welcome.
Thanks,
Matt

Stott

posted on 28/12/10 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Right to light and restriction of views are not valid grounds for objecting to planning permission. The best you can hope for is not to have any windows overlooking your mothers property, or for the ones that do to be obscured glass. This would apply to overlooking bedrooms etc, if the houses were to look at each other face on then they can look directly in on each other generally speaking.

Sorry about that but it is a bit difficult to contest it at times.

As for the parking there are guidelines on the amount of off road spaces to be provided based on the number of bedrooms/square meterage of the dwelling.

A 3 bed house needs 1 off road parking space 2.4mx4.8m but if it's over a certain size then it will need 2 spaces at 2.4x4.8 each.

These are the rules in Wales, best of luck
Stott

ashg

posted on 28/12/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
find some travellers and invite them to stay on the patch. but then again caravans may look worse.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 28/12/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
In all honesty, if there is a reason to object then the planning dept will. I have seen applications been thrown out for reasons I would never even have thought of.
The only other advice I can give is ask around for a good solicotor to object for you.
And be aware that the builder may only be negotiating, insofar as he asks for a big ugly thing which will be objected to, then everyone is happy when he reduces the request to a small bungalow.

thunderace

posted on 28/12/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
who owns the lane?
thunderace

posted on 28/12/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
get a pond and tell your local mp newts use it print some pics of the internat to back it up
MikeR

posted on 28/12/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard in the past that some newts moved about 3 miles to live in a new pond. This then scuppered a whole housing development as the newts were greater crested newts & protected under law.
thunderace

posted on 28/12/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I've heard in the past that some newts moved about 3 miles to live in a new pond. This then scuppered a whole housing development as the newts were greater crested newts & protected under law.

i have seen this done many times even when there were none people claiming there are greater crested newts and 3 or 4 people saying they have seen them as it takes around a year to fully look into there claim.

andrew

posted on 28/12/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
wild rare flowers grow there
Simon

posted on 28/12/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
My fathers house was originally 8 farm tied cottages. These were knocked into 4 reasonable sized terraced houses 25 years ago. My father bought the third along. The tenants of the fourth died a while back. The houses have approx 30 yeards of land all the way around. No 4 sold recently with planning permission for a big extension to No 4 itself and another 4 bed house. Parking has been a pain for the last 20 years, they already have low water pressure and the view for existing overlooking neighbours has deteriorated.

My mother's neighbour's neighbour has received planning permission to extend out the front by three metres despite the fact if cuts off his light etc etc. and will change the site line.

Going from these two examples, I'd say your mother can complain till she's blue in the face, the planners will ignore her completely.

BTW, I'm intending to put myy pp in this week to extend the front and side of the house, but a) it's the same as our neighbour has already done except the ext to the garage we want. We are set back from the rest of the road though.

ATB

Simon

orton1966

posted on 29/12/10 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately

Unfortunately the only way to keep a good view is to own the view, which most of us can’t afford to do. I had a similar thing a couple of years ago when the land at the back of our house was granted planning permission for a whole estate, even though most of it was green belt. There is a lot of pressure on authorities to allow development to create new houses. Unfortunately the very softest option is for gardens to be developed. Neighbours never like it, often protest but equally often take the developers shilling when they see how much their garden is really worth.

Now one of my favourite soap boxes: the frustration is developers seem to have far less problem getting what they want with planning permission, whilst an individual always seems to struggles, example: An individual has a big garden and makes enquiries about separating it off and building something on it. They will often get pushed towards building one small single story dwelling (lowest impact). Developer gets the same land and gets permission for two or more houses!The sceptic in me sees this as cronyism and backhanders in local planning, the more reasoned is that they know the system better and know what boxes to tick and what to say, I think the truth lies between the two

[Edited on 29/12/10 by orton1966]

nige

posted on 29/12/10 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
good luck to you sir you will need it

we have a school across the road and we looked out onto a grassed area with
approx 24 trees , two of wich were 30ft high copper beech
all gone now two storey school building with bright pink ,blue and yellow
structures on the roof for air handling
looks like co-co the clowns house, they have now instaled same coloured panels
on the front
planning dept not interested

when you start this journey
you think it will be done in " no " time but then " no " turns into a " bloody " long time

philw

posted on 30/12/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
As said before your up against it i'm affraid, i had this in April this year the council didn't give a fook, i objected on these grounds, there are 5 BRE(Building Research Establishment) guidelines if the development is in breach of any of these then planning permision should be rejected, also in the councils own planning regulations it clearly stated that a new development could be no less than 12 meters from an existing window.
The development was in breach of Two of the BREs, and was within 6 meters of the window to my kitchen diner and the c^nts still granted planning, however the new government change the rules about two weeks after planning was granted(just my luck) so do a bit of research into that.
I've managed to delay the building next to me by starting a right to light claim and i'm waiting to hear back about this soon, if it's a severe injury(these are classed/dealt with the same as a personal injury) i will seek an injunction as the courts have started to award these instead of compensation.

HTH
Phil

ps Sunlight and garden areas don't count

Must try harder

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.