Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Steering Column - Rebarrelling?
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 29/12/10 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Steering Column - Rebarrelling?

I picked up a Sierra steering column today from a local scrappy for just a few pounds... mainly because they couldn't find the key.

What are my options for rectifying the lack of key? Do I even need a steering lock/ignition barrel for the IVA (although I would rather have one) and is there a way to re-barrel a Sierra ignition barrel?

If not I'll have to just use it as a 'build' column and buy one with a key later but if I could use this column is would be a big help.

Any suggestions welcome.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
wilkingj

posted on 30/12/10 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
You should be able to remove the lock barrel and replace it with one you have a key for.
I am fairly sure you can get them out.

Then its just a lock and key from elsewhere.

You needed a physical security device for the SVA, and am not sure what the current IVA requirements are.
Best Refer to the IVA manual to check.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bj928

posted on 30/12/10 at 03:00 AM Reply With Quote
the best way to remove it is to some how get it to position 1, without a key could be tricky, but any way you can, weather by picking the lock sort of thing or using a larger screwdriver, your not worried about the lock so any way you can to turn it to number 1, then with a fine point you will fine a small hole on the top, put point in and the barrel will just pop out, plan B, if its the right year, take wheel off and the complete lock casing gubbins just slides off the top if i remember, think they changed that setup very early on, but it was a useful feature if you lost your keys.
McLannahan

posted on 30/12/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bj928
the best way to remove it is to some how get it to position 1, without a key could be tricky, but any way you can, weather by picking the lock sort of thing or using a larger screwdriver, your not worried about the lock so any way you can to turn it to number 1, then with a fine point you will fine a small hole on the top, put point in and the barrel will just pop out, plan B, if its the right year, take wheel off and the complete lock casing gubbins just slides off the top if i remember, think they changed that setup very early on, but it was a useful feature if you lost your keys.

As BJ said - If you can force the barrel to the first position there's a little round indent on the top. This can then be pushed down and the whole barrel just pops out.

I paid about a tenner for a new barrel and key on my old MK Indy and I think got it from these guys? (possibly different barrel but they have loads and will know which one you need)

eBay Item

MakeEverything

posted on 30/12/10 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
You should be able to get to position 1 by removing the switch at the back. be careful you dont break it though.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

macc man

posted on 30/12/10 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
I changed the lock assy on my column, but bought a new one from Ford.
Cost about £30. Quite as easy job as I recall.

coozer

posted on 30/12/10 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Any MK1 or 2 Mondeo barrel, or X type Jag ones fit. Tons of them in the scrappy.
blakep82

posted on 30/12/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
you need 2 forms of security. the steering lock normally counts as one. but if you don't have it, a key and electronic immobiliser will do the job

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

dave-69isit

posted on 30/12/10 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
barrel

drill down centeroff barrel then use screwdriver will turn
jonesier1

posted on 30/12/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
yep as above if you dont have a key then you cant get the ign to pos 1 to push the pin in and slide out the barrel so drill it and get a screwdriver in to turn and remove,then get a barrel kit and a key cut to a random number from ford and build the lock to suit or a barrel with key from ebay.

im in my own little world...its ok though they know me there

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.