Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Holiday in north-west France?
David Jenkins

posted on 2/1/11 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Holiday in north-west France?

My missus & I have decided that this year's holiday is going to be in north-west France - but I have no great knowledge of that area.

Does anyone have any clues about places to stay, good places to visit, etc? We like scenery, walking, and so on. We'll probably get there in early September...

[Edited on 2/1/11 by David Jenkins]

jimgiblett

posted on 2/1/11 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
We regulary go via Saint-Dié-des-Vosges in NW France on the way to Switzerland. A good base for exploring the beautiful Vosges mountains around La Bresse. Black Forest is only 90 mins away or a trip to Mulhouse for the the Shlumpf motor museum.

- Jim

David Jenkins

posted on 2/1/11 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Erm... the Vosges mountain region is north-east!

I'm thinking about Saint-Malo, Brest, Saint-Nazaire, or similar.

Humbug

posted on 2/1/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
We regulary go via Saint-Dié-des-Vosges in NW France on the way to Switzerland. A good base for exploring the beautiful Vosges mountains around La Bresse. Black Forest is only 90 mins away or a trip to Mulhouse for the the Shlumpf motor museum.

- Jim

Last time I looked, North West France meant Brittany, etc., not a very direct route to Switzerland!

Just looked up Saint-Dié-des-Vosges on Google Maps and it is North East France...

scootz

posted on 2/1/11 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Le Mans track and Museum is well worth a visit!

It's Evolution Baby!

iank

posted on 2/1/11 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to be aware of is the weather can be a bit iffy in Northern France, last year it was especially bad, even down as far as the Loire valley. No reason not to go, but take waterproofs just in case.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

David Jenkins

posted on 2/1/11 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I guess that it's best to treat that region like Cornwall or South Wales... glorious weather, apart from when it's raining!

designer

posted on 2/1/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Come further down for better weather.

This is a must and is near to me.

http://www.puydufou.com/en

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
watsonpj

posted on 2/1/11 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
We stayed in st malo for a week which is an excellent place to stay. We had rooms to the east of the town centre which overlooked the sea and you could step out of the backdoor onto the seafront/beach. The sea/sunset is excellent there although there is no beach at high tide. When the sea is out a big expanse of clean beach with a few rock pools etc. Town has some nice history and good returants, but with a 5 yr old in tow we spent the days on the beach mainly so didn't see to much of the surrounding countryside. We did do one trip out to an old wall town (dinan I think) about 20-30 k inland which was really good with some good views and interesting streets/history. I would really recommend it as a place to visit although prices were slightly higher than other parts of France.
David Jenkins

posted on 2/1/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
What are the major airports in that region? I've just looked at the cost of the Plymouth - St Malo ferry, and it's around £450, and at that price I could fly and hire a small car (well, almost).

angliamotorsport

posted on 2/1/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I go each year to Normandy and I live in Suffolk also, I go via Newhaven to Dieppe, cost with car and car trailer is about 260 pounds.

If you go August bamk holiday weekend you could take in the Etretat/Bennouville hillclimb on the way to Brittany.

From Dieppe you would have about a two to three hour drive to get to the north west of france but great roads and if it rains it does not take too long for it to dry, go for it.

watsonpj

posted on 2/1/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
We flew out of stagnated (excellent iPad spelling correction for stansted) and into dinard and had a hire car but a taxi would actually have been better. Obviously this is not such a good choice for you as you have to drive north first but probably a lot cheaper than 450. Didn't have time earlier to say but the ille de re just outside la rochelle is also an excellent destination and you can again fly into it (la Rochelle) again history in the form of old bastille style towns and decent beaches and the seafood is really good also.
John Bonnett

posted on 2/1/11 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Quote: the cost of the Plymouth - St Malo ferry, and it's around £450,

I think you need to cross from Portsmouth to go to St Malo and certainly Brittany Ferries are very expensive. Living in Devon we have little choice but to use the Plymouth Roscoff route. We get across to France as often as we can and have spent many holidays in Brittany.

Living where you do David, you have a range of options. Norfolk Lines to Dunkirk are I believe the cheapest ferry but will put you a bit far to the East but I know Jim Giblett has found some really good deals from Dover. The road west from Calais is excellent and even if you were to go as far as Vannes in South West Brittany it will only take about 6 hours and I would have thought that pricewise, this would stack up quite well against fly/drive. The other advantage of having your own car is that you can bring back whatever shopping takes your fancy.

The climate around the Gulf de Morbihan is very favoured and the Dolmans and Menhirs of Carnac which are amazing, make this a very good area to be based. There are some excellent waymarked walks and if you contact La Maison de Tourisme in Vannes they should be able to send you information on walks so that you can plan your holiday before you go.Linky It is interesting that they lay claim to King Arthur and if you go to Josselin it is full of Arthurian memorabilia.

If you prefer to stay somewhere quiet, Rochefort en Terre is a beautiful mediaeval town about 30mins from Vannes; nice restaurants and full of timbered houses. Malestroit on the Nantes Brest canal is worth a visit. It is a picturesque town with an interesting WW11 museum and the toepath along the canal is great for walking.

So just a few ideas David, hope this has been of some help to you.

John

iank

posted on 2/1/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Come further down for better weather.

This is a must and is near to me.

Excellent if you have kids - we've been for the last 3 years

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

David Jenkins

posted on 2/1/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
Quote: the cost of the Plymouth - St Malo ferry, and it's around £450,

I think you need to cross from Portsmouth to go to St Malo and certainly Brittany Ferries are very expensive.

John

Oops! Yes, it's Portsmouth. It's a fairly long sea journey, which possibly explains the cost.

Thanks for all the tips... I'm going to have to do some homework!

Simon

posted on 2/1/11 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
We've done Portsmouth to Caen in the past and given Portsmouth is three hours west, then 6 hours on a boat, I wouldn't entertain that idea ever again. Drive to Dover, take the car on the train, then blat westwards. Be halfway there befor I got to Portsmouth

I like Brittany/Loire region and wife has some friends who moved there a few years back.

ATB

Simon

jimgiblett

posted on 3/1/11 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Erm... the Vosges mountain region is north-east!

I'm thinking about Saint-Malo, Brest, Saint-Nazaire, or similar.

Whoops - NE is nice though

AndyGT

posted on 3/1/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
ferries

don't use brittaney lines. They are just damn expensive because there is nearly no competition. The cheapest by far is LD lines.

You'll find that the weather south of the Loire River is better than north of it. Even the French use this as a basic guide of weather predictions. It can be raining up north but in Vendée it can be glorious sunshine.

good link too (as previously posted):

And if your missing home you could also get yourself some british fish n chips!!!

http://www.inthevendee.com/lavendeechippy/

Bon Vacances!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
geoff shep

posted on 3/1/11 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
From Suffolk I'd definitely cross at Dover and drive more in France - which beats driving in UK hands down. I usually use the boat, rather than the tunnel. It's always been cheaper and you can walk around - for me coming from the North, it is a convenient break.

I've done that very journey and it was painless. The area is nice, the food is obviously good, and the town centre cafe culture is good all day.

The Bayeux Tapestry is on display in Bayeux and if you are into miltary history, the invasion beaches are worth seeing - in fact even you are aren't, the beaches and scenery are still great. The US cemetery at Point du Hoc is worth seeing - it's the one at the beginning of Saving Private Ryan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.